First time EVA Foam ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pic update but I did my first attempt at DAPing....oh God. So much mess....

I've also started the helmet which doesn't look pretty but I have to be a man and keep slogging forward. I also bought a pack of foam mats that are thinner and softer than my regular ones as my regular Crappy Tire was sold out of them.

It's a bit harder to bevel but it's getting the job done. I have to custom make a few pieces as the printed ones don't line up at all. The top section is done and I'm working on the lower one tonight again, as I got the rear part done and am sticking the vent pieces on the side together. I hate not being able to work later into the night due to my rotary tools noise....

Primer is going to be on Sunday and paint will be the entire week till ...next... Saturday...oh God.

No wepon for me unless I can slam out the world's worst SMG in that time amidst my painting.

No pic update but I did my first attempt at DAPing....oh God. So much mess....

I've also started the helmet which doesn't look pretty but I have to be a man and keep slogging forward. I also bought a pack of foam mats that are thinner and softer than my regular ones as my regular Crappy Tire was sold out of them.

It's a bit harder to bevel but it's getting the job done. I have to custom make a few pieces as the printed ones don't line up at all. The top section is done and I'm working on the lower one tonight again, as I got the rear part done and am sticking the vent pieces on the side together. I hate not being able to work later into the night due to my rotary tools noise....

Primer is going to be on Sunday and paint will be the entire week till ...next... Saturday...oh God.

No wepon for me unless I can slam out the world's worst SMG in that time amidst my painting.

if you want a quick and dirty weapon build DFT's M6C/SOCOM (silenced magnum)

Wow this is amazing! As a first time EVA foam user myself, I can relate to you a lot! So much trial and error lol
I didn't even think to use dollar store rhinestones as rivets! Thats so perfect!

I am not happy with my helmet one bit but I'm also happy with it.

I've scaled it wrong on its Z axis (way too stretched from front to back) and its doing the same thing as my DFT helmet on the back where it puffs out...

This thing feels gigantic and sits low as expected as I haven't padded it, but some parts of me are settling down and saying to the rest of the frustrated parts of my mind that its good and the others are just flipping tables and burning cars.

39521813_306830020123680_8641709477860474880_n.jpg

Its not done as the side vents aren't covered and the back section since its all dun mess't up hasn't been extended via greebling and a plethora of fancy swear words not safe for forum posting.

39972987_370627060141328_2752968522274439168_n.jpg

Here you can see its stretched form and the flared out rear.

It was because of this, Exhibit A:

39985667_319645371939982_2259811439520776192_n.png

I thought it would have enough space and let it be snug at the same time, and now I've gone full 'Ah...oh boy am I wrong' as there is TOO much space now at the back.

40006448_319354382152006_3759673732214292480_n.png

Here is a side shot of what I'm working with. It's being held up and back and it seems to fit nicer here (which is where the logical section of my brain is getting strength to attempt to calm the rest of me lol) so I'm hoping foam padding will be my best friend as i can turn my head quite a bit inside and the helmet won't turn.

But there is still a ton of space behind my head, just imagine the Armorsmith pic but with my head/beard jammed nicely in there with plenty of space...

I'm still going to seal up the back, add venting details and finish up the visor/visor cover but this is a good step forward. I'm going to probably add similar plating to what Dutch had on his helmet variant since I wasn't able to get a nice round shape. (PaiganBoi how...how was yours so round??)

Best part: IT HIDES THE BEARD PRE-TRIM!

I was able to round out the top of the helmet by heat forming all the parts before assembly. Also it looks like you are missing a piece at the back. I can't see it in the pics you have.
20180823_224757.jpg

That part pulls it down and together to connect with the bottom.

Oh God...I forgot the heat forming... What is wrong with me?

And yes, theres no piece like that there at the moment but I'll put a part there on Saturday night and post a pic if it fixed it.

Here's an idea that might help. If you have a large enough ball, globe or even a bowl. Heat up the foam and put your object inside and kind of mold you helmet around it. It will help get some of that roundness you want. There's a warp on the back of mine and I did that to try and get it out. I didn't get all the warp out but it's not as bad as it was before. Also for the hard edges of the seams, take some sand paper to it to smooth it out and at least help make it appear rounder.

Don't get too frustrated. It's just a helmet.

But I see what you mean. It is longer in practice than on the computer. It looks like the part surrounding the earpiece is a little too long, and that magnified the elongation of the back of the helmet.

Hang on, let me get that picture of yours... and change it up a bit... THERE we go:

20180823_221143.jpg

The highlighted part, which I will hitherto refer to as "Comma" is not curled enough. If you wanted to bring the back of the helmet back into line, Comma is going need to be curled back. Like this:

20180823_221205.jpg

I do not wish to sound patronizing or belittling if you already noticed this, but that's something I've noticed. You can separate the seams at the back half of the helmet, and redo Comma, if you'd like. But that would mean a lot of seam work.

As it stands, you currently have enough space in the for a couple fans and padding. It doesn't look bad at all, so it's really up to you. Just my two bits.

Totally not offended at all, I appreciate the help!

I'm going to try a combo of the 2. What I'll try first is to slice some of the 'comma' away to lessen how far back it goes and bend the back in and hope for the best.

I wanted to use googly eyes but the shapes weren't what I needed as I was in a Dollarama plus I could just hear the faint rattling in my head, which wouldn't happen in reality lol

In my house we call this the "de-goog-ing process". Make an incision on the back of the eye, slide the jiggler (actual term) with the tip of the knife out and then glue the cap onto the surface. Bonus is that you get to use the jigglers for fake nail or pin heads on other props!

Starting to paint! I primed the suit yesterday and got 98% done until my two cans ran out on my crotch plate...but oh well! Got my chest and helmet done up and weathering is the final step. I'm so bloody nervous... I'm going weaponless I'm pretty sure at this point lol

Also, who ordered the tornados? Don't you touch down on me bruh.

This is just a quick update and one of the final 'pre-finale' shots of just the helmet to show whats going on with it.

I've completed the weathering and paint scheme (minus 34902702 more coats on that orange and some not shown white on the arms and chest) across the entire suit before I give it a final wash tomorrow after work (Thank God I'm getting off early).

40382440_325685247995647_7205820581306957824_n.jpg

I made the visor out of a 45 cent folder from Walmart and it held up much better than last years visor against the glue gun which I tacked the seams of it together. It was nerve wracking but it came through better than me! Again, unlike my DFT skull bucket, this one is finally big enough to fit both my noggin and my glasses! I WILL BE ABLE TO SEE!!

No complaints there!

But alas, here are the complaints: shes a wee bit skewed! And my craft foam as expected began to curl from the primer. Imma just re-stick them down with some of dat thar hot glue.

40551422_666171437089061_1158855062055813120_n.jpg

Its all reached a point where I cannot do anything about it (I've come to terms with that...mostly) and I have to just push forward to the final wash. Some details like the small hole on the piece below the 'comma', as so nicknamed by Sean Anwalt isn't there... I forgot to add it in as I got carried away with gluing and forgot to put them in before I primed.

Sadly, no weapon will be present for me as the time I was planning on making the SOCOM has now been replaced with the oh so fun 'Get Some Car Parts and Replace Them Before You Go To the Convention'.

Pssssst PaiganBoi wanna do that photoshop picture next to the Rooster Teeth booth? Just don't tell Dirtdives

Also: PaiganBoi: Kick butt at your time at Fan Expo tomorrow as well! Everyone here is expecting tons of pictures of you and Mini Chief, Trooper!

Last edited:
Maybe it’s just because the picture is dark, but a folder from Walmart!?!?!?! That’s pretty ingenious. I’m def noting that down for mine. How did you even come up with that?

It's a realllllllly dark blue and it's flimsy but it hides my face completely even in full light but lets me see out perfectly (Albeit slightly more blue)

I wanted to scrap a clear blue storage bin and heat form it but couldn't find any at my local Walmart's and I didn't want to scour any dollar stores as it was already 7pm by that point. This also was better than my old helmet which I had to mist gold spray paint onto to obscure my face, which also consequently lowered my vision outwards too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back