Props Fully Functional Ammo Counters/Effects Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, anyone know how to this with a paintball gun, maybe using eyes, like in hoppers, to keep track of rounds fired. It would be a rough number, since unless you count out exactly 200 rounds it will be off, but it would still be sweet.

Once you have a working model of this counter, please take a video of it and some pics. I'll add your tutorial information together and make a sticky for this.

Excellent work. We've been waiting for an electrical technician to help us out here.

BTW I have some electrical projects that I could use some advice on. Would you be willing to help me with some circuit designs?

Sinjinsmiley said:
Its looking good although I was wondering a couple of things:
  1. What are the dimensions of each of the PCBs?
  2. Would it be possible to put an extra LED into the circuit to create a muzzle flash when the gun fires
  3. With the mag switch, does the gun stay locked from firing whilst the mag is removed or is it simply a push button to reload?
Thanks

Oh and Pac I'm lucky a new Maplins has just opened up just down the road from my College :D
  1. The main circuit is 4.5" long and 3" wide. The LED display is 1.5" wide, and 2" tall, perfect to fit in the BR or AR.
  2. A muzzle flash LED would be VERY possible, and easy. Excellent idea in fact, I'll work that into the circuit real quick. :D
  3. The way I have the reload switch right now, you have to press it to reload the counter, and while it's pressed, the gun cannot fire. If anyone's making a removable clip setup, I can set it up using a switch where the clip goes in so that the gun reloads once the clip is removed and re-inserted.
Check back soon and I'll have a parts list from Maplin so ya don't have to go hunting around for parts. :D

PillowFire said:
At Original poster.
wow this is great, and guess what? I just finished learning about 7-segment displays in my digital electronics class like a week ago. I could probably build that based on the schematics you provided, of course we haven't started learning how to create circuit boards yet, only how to breadboard :(

But still, this is extremely useful, have a few questions though.

1) Are those AND gates with the little open dots in front or are they NAND gates, I can't tell whether the dots are just part of the schematic symbol or there to show it's a NAND gate as I am too accustomed to Multi-Sim. Same for the other gates.

2) What Simulation software do you use?

3) The cost estimate is including time you spent laboring over it, obviously, but what would it cost for all the supplies needed to make the circuits if I went and just bought them from..say..radio shack for example, or another electronics store.
Also, this is in response to the simulated recoil, maybe you all are looking at it a bit too critically? What if you simply use Co2 cartridges to simulate blowback? I imagine you could get quit a bit of blow-back before needing a new one if you use it just for that and not to fire anything.

Maybe take some parts out of a paintball gun/pistol, or an airsoft blowback Co2 pistol?

Just thought I'd put that out there, since in my experience, Co2 tends to be very effective at simulating recoil, many high-end airsoft pistols I have used, simulate a very nice blow-back/recoil action with the gas, and that is with Green Gas/propane, with Co2, it should be even more powerful.

That's a pretty cool coincidence. lol I never had a class on this stuff, had to learn it myself.
  1. Yep, those are NAND gates, the dot notation is pretty universal.
  2. Unfortunately, I don't have any simulation software at my disposal. Luckily though, it's all analog so it's pretty easy to understand how it works in your head, for me anyhow.
  3. The post I made a few above this one has 3 lists that show how much it would cost to buy all of the parts individually. It only shows the price, about $35, from Mouser right now, but I'm going to be uploading a list with prices and parts numbers from Mouser, RadioShack, Digikey, Maplin, and Jameco here in a few hours.
Good idea on the recoil btw. It's not really my area of expertise so I can't say too much. The other's that were discussing it before will probably chime in soon.

ptblduffy said:
hey, anyone know how to this with a paintball gun, maybe using eyes, like in hoppers, to keep track of rounds fired. It would be a rough number, since unless you count out exactly 200 rounds it will be off, but it would still be sweet.

Very possible. It wouldnt be very accurate at all since hoppers can hold a few more/less each time. Using a sighting laser would be a bit more expensive, instead you could just mount the trigger button behind the real trigger. After I'm done prototyping these I'll get back to ya on this. I can make one up for 200 rounds, 1 shot per trigger if it's a single shot, ect.

Sean Bradley said:
Once you have a working model of this counter, please take a video of it and some pics. I'll add your tutorial information together and make a sticky for this.

Excellent work. We've been waiting for an electrical technician to help us out here.
BTW I have some electrical projects that I could use some advice on. Would you be willing to help me with some circuit designs?

Thanks. I'll have pics and a video up some time next week, just depends on how long it takes the parts to arrive.

I'd be glad to help. YGPM

Last edited by a moderator:
that actually is a good idea for a recoil system.

although the weapon would have to be incredibly strong to withstand the force.

unless you put like an industrial grade spring on the end of the piston to stop it somehow.

Gokussj5okazu said:
  1. The main circuit is 4.5" long and 3" wide. The LED display is 1.5" wide, and 2" tall, perfect to fit in the BR or AR.
  2. A muzzle flash LED would be VERY possible, and easy. Excellent idea in fact, I'll work that into the circuit real quick. :D
  3. The way I have the reload switch right now, you have to press it to reload the counter, and while it's pressed, the gun cannot fire. If anyone's making a removable clip setup, I can set it up using a switch where the clip goes in so that the gun reloads once the clip is removed and re-inserted.
Check back soon and I'll have a parts list from Maplin so ya don't have to go hunting around for parts. :D
Yay for lists ;)
  1. Cheers, now I know what size to print them off :D
  2. Hehe, we'll pretend you thought of it ;)
  3. I will probably make Robo's Pep AR which has a removable clip. I was thinking of using a Push to Break switch so that whilst the mag was in the circuit was complete but it broke upon removabal.
Maplin FTW

PillowFire said:
Also, this is in response to the simulated recoil, maybe you all are looking at it a bit too critically? What if you simply use Co2 cartridges to simulate blowback? I imagine you could get quit a bit of blow-back before needing a new one if you use it just for that and not to fire anything.

Maybe take some parts out of a paintball gun/pistol, or an airsoft blowback Co2 pistol?

Just thought I'd put that out there, since in my experience, Co2 tends to be very effective at simulating recoil, many high-end airsoft pistols I have used, simulate a very nice blow-back/recoil action with the gas, and that is with Green Gas/propane, with Co2, it should be even more powerful.
I guess if you set up a weight, with a recoil spring on one side, and a CO2 shot on the other, with vents at the side, past the weight, it could be quite effective. It just depends on ho much recoil you want I guess, obviously it'll be no where near a real gun, but I've fired a heavy blow back CO2 pistol that was similar to a .22 (very light blow back gun). Just remember, the weight has to be fairly light still, or the CO2 won't last long...

edit: In response to silver cookie:I bet if you had a sturdy model (which many people here do) you could dampen the force by putting a block of rubber on the end of the "weight chamber" (it'd even give the recoil a nice sproingy feel :D ).

D0096F said:
I guess if you set up a weight, with a recoil spring on one side, and a CO2 shot on the other, with vents at the side, past the weight, it could be quite effective. It just depends on ho much recoil you want I guess, obviously it'll be no where near a real gun, but I've fired a heavy blow back CO2 pistol that was similar to a .22 (very light blow back gun). Just remember, the weight has to be fairly light still, or the CO2 won't last long...

edit: In response to silver cookie:I bet if you had a sturdy model (which many people here do) you could dampen the force by putting a block of rubber on the end of the "weight chamber" (it'd even give the recoil a nice sproingy feel :D ).

true but how many people actually have resin , urethan, or fibergalssed rifles.

right now the only ones i know of that could withstand it are links and adams.

silvercookie said:
true but how many people actually have resin , urethan, or fibergalssed rifles.

right now the only ones i know of that could withstand it are links and adams.
I meant by adding the thick rubber weight stopper, I'd assume (could be wrong) that those would be able to handle it, the force isn't too big...

D0096F said:
I meant by adding the thick rubber weight stopper, I'd assume (could be wrong) that those would be able to handle it, the force isn't too big...

thats what i was saying with the mini airsoft piston/ motor recoil system.

i think with a rubber pad you would feel it more but it would break faster and with a spring it would be felt a little less but last longer.

just a theory

Hey this was the closest forum to what I'm looking for - I want to make my AR make the actual assault rifle sound from the game - I was thinking I would record it and put some sort of sound card that can be activated by the trigger inside the gun and make sure its amplified to make the sound as realistic as possible. Plus I want to add a rapidly flashing light to the tip to give the effect that the gun is actually firing (without actually killing anyone) Does anyone have any expertise on how to go about this? Thanks!

Welcome to the 405th. You're definitely in the right topic.

You can go back and read some of the other posts, but basically, I'm working on prototyping a circuit that counts the shots fired, displays remaining ammo, and now, pulses an LED you can put in the barrel to look like gunfire.

After I get the main one done I'll be working on another add-on board that will allow the sound of the rifle to be played.

So, I saw that someone had an idea for a recoil system involving cams and a motor. That gave me an idea, which spawned this.
Recoil1.jpg

Recoil2.jpg

The cams can be put directly on the shaft to a motor, or through a gear box if you wish. The cams alternate the spring activations. The spring is merely pushed back and when the cam rotates far enough it returns with force(amount TBD), which should simulate your recoil when aiming the springs toward the back end of your AR.

This is just an idea take it and run with it if you like. If you'd like me to design a more detailed system, I'll need specific size and force requirements.

This method may be a little harder to accomplish as far as materials and assembly than the CO2/paintball gun idea, but you shouldn't have to rip apart any of your guns to do this.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

-Magnum

I wasn't thinking of using a captive spring setup but I like that idea even better. If I can dig out my old gunsmithing parts box, I may have just the thing - lots of aftermarket 1911 spring kits use a captive setup that may be about perfect in terms of force applied. They will need a motor with some real torque though which may be a problem...hmmm...

DogWizard said:
I wasn't thinking of using a captive spring setup but I like that idea even better. If I can dig out my old gunsmithing parts box, I may have just the thing - lots of aftermarket 1911 spring kits use a captive setup that may be about perfect in terms of force applied. They will need a motor with some real torque though which may be a problem...hmmm...
Yes I realized the motor could be the biggest problem here, but you said something about robot builders earlier. I was actually in a BBIQ(Battle Bots IQ) league in college. What was that site we used for motors? Give a search for Mag Motors, you might find what you need then. The flat ones might work the best for this application, but I'm still worried about size problems.

Gokussj5okazu said:
Welcome to the 405th. You're definitely in the right topic.

You can go back and read some of the other posts, but basically, I'm working on prototyping a circuit that counts the shots fired, displays remaining ammo, and now, pulses an LED you can put in the barrel to look like gunfire.

After I get the main one done I'll be working on another add-on board that will allow the sound of the rifle to be played.

Wow I definitely found the right place then - I did read through the forum and sounds like the ball's really rolling with this one - but im really n/g with electronics so I'd need one fully assembled kit - I can't thank you enough for the work you're doing I'm sure everyone here appreciates it it sounds totally awesome!

Wooo! An update! lol

Well first off, I didn't get anywhere near as much as I'd hoped I would have gotten over the weekend. I was off Thursday and Friday so I got a little bit done, but I came down with the flu Friday and that hampered my work over the rest of the weekend.

I managed to get a working prototype together. :D It includes alot of extra stuff for debugging, so it looks strange, but here's some pics and a video.

Here's the actual display. I know, it's red. lol That's all I had laying around. The final one will be alot smaller too, and won't include the 7-Segment IC's on the same board, that way it can fit in the shroud of the rifle just fine.

cap_003.jpg

This one shows the main board. I used a huge one for the prototyping just to keep it from getting cluttered. There's obviously also wires and extra parts all over. lol

cap_004.jpg

Finally, here's a video of it working. Ignore the 84 at the end of the 60, I was just messing around with the counters. Haha The final one will, of course, only be two digits. It counts down so fast that my camera couldn't keep up so it looks like it skips but it really doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMpqjgJ90I

23Magnum said:
So, I saw that someone had an idea for a recoil system involving cams and a motor. That gave me an idea, which spawned this.
Recoil1.jpg

Recoil2.jpg

The cams can be put directly on the shaft to a motor, or through a gear box if you wish. The cams alternate the spring activations. The spring is merely pushed back and when the cam rotates far enough it returns with force(amount TBD), which should simulate your recoil when aiming the springs toward the back end of your AR.

This is just an idea take it and run with it if you like. If you'd like me to design a more detailed system, I'll need specific size and force requirements.

This method may be a little harder to accomplish as far as materials and assembly than the CO2/paintball gun idea, but you shouldn't have to rip apart any of your guns to do this.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

-Magnum

very good idea

I work on alot of Arcade guns at my job, and they use a really simplistic magnetic solenoid for recoil, similar to the ones use in pinball machines for the flippers. These solenoids are attached to the top slide of the gun, so that the gun looks to be actually firing when you pull the trigger.

I intend to duplicate this system with my own prop weapons.. The cam idea is pretty interesting though. :not worthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back