Grenadier Spartan III

Did some more sanding yesterday. My grenadier shoulder was having issues where I couldn't get the layer lines to fill in, so bondo to the rescue!

Fear the pink mist
20220624_194307.jpg

The bondo helped a lot and I was able to get this shoulder plus the knees wet sanded at 600 grit. These were the only parts that needed some work before I could hit them with 600, the rest of my armor is ready for that and luckily wet sanding does not take long.
20220624_211608.jpg

spitzkitz helped sand one of the knees. His is the one that looks good

Con crunch is kicking in. It's Monday morning now and we leave for Denver Wednesday night. Here's where I got last night. All of these pieces have been wet sanded at 600 and should be ready for paint. The shins may need some primer before painting though. Today my goal is to get the thighs and chest sanded.
20220627_005648.jpg

Another quick update!!

Last night while I was playing MCC, I noticed there were green lights on the wrist data pad that I hadn't noticed before and decided that I should add in the holes for them this morning. When I loaded up the game to get references I noticed there were some inaccuracies between my model and the game model, so I went back to edit my data pad to make it more accurate to the game.

The green circle is where I noticed the lights should be added at, the red circles are features that I needed to remove, and the blue circles are the features that I completely redid to get more accurate shapes.
View attachment 291202
View attachment 291203

Now I present, data pad 2.0!!!
View attachment 291204
View attachment 291205
Wow, that came out great !!! I want to do the same and put an old phone inside just for effects.

Did some more sanding yesterday. My grenadier shoulder was having issues where I couldn't get the layer lines to fill in, so bondo to the rescue!

Fear the pink mist
View attachment 319561

The bondo helped a lot and I was able to get this shoulder plus the knees wet sanded at 600 grit. These were the only parts that needed some work before I could hit them with 600, the rest of my armor is ready for that and luckily wet sanding does not take long.
View attachment 319562
spitzkitz helped sand one of the knees. His is the one that looks good
Bondo is my best friend, do you sand wet or dry?

I finished sanding the thighs and chest today, which means all of my armor is sanded! The only parts I'm missing are the back vents, boots, tacpad, and tactical softcase. I don't think I'll get those done in time for the con but I don't think I need them for it. I do plan on adding those to this suit in the future though.

I also picked out paint today and would have started painting but it was too windy. Hopefully there's no wind tomorrow. Here's the paint I got! (your welcome future me for if/when you redo parts and need to see which paint you used)
20220627_192634.jpg

Have you used BEHR before? I love it but have never seen it in spray. I would love to see how they both look when your done. Does the enamel make it harder? I normally use fiberglass resin to smooth and strengthen but it smells so bad and is a pain to use.

Have you used BEHR before? I love it but have never seen it in spray. I would love to see how they both look when your done. Does the enamel make it harder? I normally use fiberglass resin to smooth and strengthen but it smells so bad and is a pain to use.
I actually have not used BEHR before so I'm excited to try it out! The enamel does not harden it, it's just for the paint finish

After the failed vacuum form attempts I started reprinting all of the parts that were lost, including a new visor buck with double the wall thickness and infill %. While those were printing i started to paint a bit and am very happy with how the colors turned out.
20220628_142906.jpg
20220628_153656.jpg

It was pretty windy out today so it was hard to properly paint the pieces and there was a lot of waiting for the wind to die down. During this time, I also decided that I did not want to force finish my armor for Denver FanExpo, since I'd rather take my time to do it right. I did decide I would try to finish the helmet for the con though, so I started painting that.
20220628_201601.jpg
20220628_201613.jpg

While waiting for the paint to dry, I soldiered the circuit for the helmet fan. I also don't have an undamaged visor. So I took the least damaged one and purposely made it even more damaged using lone wolf as inspiration. Might as well lean into the battle damage (don't want to be a shinny) and use it as a temporary visor.
20220628_233932.jpg

After waiting some more for the paint to dry, I started taping up the helmet so I could add the black paint details. This took so long to do. I've done this twice before since I painted then repainted my original grenadier helmet, but it does not feel faster each time. After taping it up I sprayed the black on and am now going to go to bed because it is 4am.
20220629_025324.jpg

After the failed vacuum form attempts I started reprinting all of the parts that were lost, including a new visor buck with double the wall thickness and infill %. While those were printing i started to paint a bit and am very happy with how the colors turned out.
View attachment 319709View attachment 319710

It was pretty windy out today so it was hard to properly paint the pieces and there was a lot of waiting for the wind to die down. During this time, I also decided that I did not want to force finish my armor for Denver FanExpo, since I'd rather take my time to do it right. I did decide I would try to finish the helmet for the con though, so I started painting that.
View attachment 319711View attachment 319712

While waiting for the paint to dry, I soldiered the circuit for the helmet fan. I also don't have an undamaged visor. So I took the least damaged one and purposely made it even more damaged using lone wolf as inspiration. Might as well lean into the battle damage (don't want to be a shinny) and use it as a temporary visor.
View attachment 319713

After waiting some more for the paint to dry, I started taping up the helmet so I could add the black paint details. This took so long to do. I've done this twice before since I painted then repainted my original grenadier helmet, but it does not feel faster each time. After taping it up I sprayed the black on and am now going to go to bed because it is 4am.
View attachment 319714
Wow! That paint look great.

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back