GuitarMaster's ODST (on hold or never to be finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some stuff for you, sorry for the lack of updates, but school is a thing, and you know how that impedes progress.

First thing: I got a thigh built! It was actually really simple once you know what you're doing! I actually cut out the templates a while ago, divided the whole thing into four parts; however, I only ended up using three, which was pleasant.
4487B0A7-C230-4A55-9E8D-2C7E3B9411CC-5202-0000023ECC6F1A8C.jpg
19E183E2-93FE-417C-A053-3C89431C8576-5202-0000023ED19EEC3E.jpg

How I secured it to me is not yet totally figured out, but how it stays on my leg is just a simple side-release strap. What I'm probably gonna do for securing it to my body is attach it to either the belt, directly to the flight suit, or perhaps to the chest core, I'm not exactly sure.
95781287-16CC-4648-A1D1-8A80453D8FA2-5202-0000023ED64AB5D9.jpg

Next: I ran to Walmart today and picked up some black work boots for I believe $27.97. They're very nice, and steel-toed too! I kinda look like I'm in the Air Force, don't I?
DC76E754-5DDB-45A3-8C1B-D89E233A60E2-5202-0000023EC3E5F9FD.jpg

I can definitely finish the other thigh this weekend, and hopefully start sealing them as well. Hopefully I can completely finish them by Oct. 4 (school costume day) weather permitting.

Till next time, keep forging away!

Last edited by a moderator:
cricket, cricket

Well, I've an update for you anyway!

Got the thighs done.
BD8988CB-B7E9-44D0-AB2F-D3517315F3AE-1287-00000035835FE862.jpg

How they attach to the belt:
D51B7893-85A7-4C01-AADA-536BE9709CDB-1287-0000003588666DE6.jpg

Full suit thus far, minus the knees (didn't have a way of attaching them, so I'll just wait till I have the shins done):
014FAF15-9AF3-4BAD-B4A9-05FB17B25FBD-1287-000000358E202B5E.jpg

All of the parts together (including knees):
8C3690BD-CF2D-4F28-ACD1-8230DE0C3AB9-1287-0000003592FBA1E3.jpg

Good looking work on the thighs and everything. Keep up the good work. And I think the hair is the dead give away on the Air Force deal. . . . . :p

You kind of do, except for one, very obvious thing. :p Looking great! Keep it up.

Good looking work on the thighs and everything. Keep up the good work. And I think the hair is the dead give away on the Air Force deal. . . . . :p

You're armor is really looking good.

Thanks, guys!

So, not much of an update today, but I feel like posting anyway. School costume day was today, and yes, I wore my armor. I gotta say it was pretty hot and uncomfortable, but it wasn't that bad and I got used to it! The worst part was sitting down, which I had to do, pretty uncomfortable. I got a lot of great remarks on it, and people just turning their heads in awe... it was pretty great! So the next thing to plan for is Halo-ween, which I gotta start working for. As you can see by the progress on the first page, I only need to do the shins and forearms. The shins are so far turning out to be not too hard, but I still don't know what I'm gonna do for the forearms!! Rosh did some pretty sick Halo 3: ODST style forearms out of foam a while ago, but he didn't put up any progress pics, and barely any pics of them at all. The only pics he does have up are beautiful, though. I wish there were more I can use for reference. I really want to do Halo 3: ODST style, but I also want to do foam (like everything else) and Rosh is the only person who I've seen done that.

Anyway, I do have some stuff for you, check it out!

Last night I made the blueprints for the shin, printed them out and traced them onto some leftover foam i never used. I was pretty intimidated to make the stencils, but with some reference pics and about half an hour, I got it done! I'll be cutting it all out tonight and perhaps start making a shin!
72B314E0-E172-459A-9CD9-71E0C20B25C1-7818-000003F1B0C97D15.jpg

Here's an ID card I made a little while back using this awesomeness. I recommend trying it for yourself, it's pretty cool.
12074CFD-A205-41C9-9746-43D72E13DC16-7818-000003F1B5DB007F.jpg

And just to make this post a little less pointless, here's a boot cover I made back in, I think it was July? Whatever. I'm probably not gonna end up using it, because the work boots I have look pretty great to me!
2916b4ce.jpg

That's all for now, guys! Peace...

I didnt believe that the undersuit will fit that well. Since i only like tight ones i was a bit stubborn bout it. but this fits totally to your odst outfit. Damn nice work mate !

dude your suit looks like its really moving along! May I make 2 suggestions/observations? 1: with your apparent skill level, I think it'd really do your suit a lil better to foam up the inside portions of the thigh plates (the pieces that look like the layered under armor on the Spartan thighs). 2: I realize you're not a Marine, so long hair is cool and what not, but... that being said I highly suggest that you pull your hair back up and find a way to keep it neatly under the helmet. Just an observation but it would give you a more authentic appearance. Great work on the suit tho, that is a VERY good looking kit.

dude your suit looks like its really moving along! May I make 2 suggestions/observations? 1: with your apparent skill level, I think it'd really do your suit a lil better to foam up the inside portions of the thigh plates (the pieces that look like the layered under armor on the Spartan thighs). 2: I realize you're not a Marine, so long hair is cool and what not, but... that being said I highly suggest that you pull your hair back up and find a way to keep it neatly under the helmet. Just an observation but it would give you a more authentic appearance. Great work on the suit tho, that is a VERY good looking kit.

1) Indeed that was my original intention for the thighs, but I found it a little hard to wrap the whole thing around and make a sort of tube-thing. I'm pretty content with how it sits on the outside of my leg :)

2) Ooohhh the hair... Yeah, I've got quite a mane, But I will NOT be getting rid of it anytime soon. When it comes time to wear it out for Halo-ween and the Halo 4 launch, I'll figure out something to do with it.

that was exactly what I was wanting to know, thanks!

Sure thing!

Dude I wish I could make an ODST helmet as good as that.....extremely nice build man!!

I don't usually like foam made armor but I have to admin that your one is really cool ;)

Why, thank you!

So, I'm gonna say that I'm satisfied with this build as is. I'm not gonna say that I will never finish it, but I don't think that I will be working on it very much for the time being. I do actually have the foam pieces for a shin cut out, but I think I might place them in the closet for now and see what to do with them later. I might revisit this project at a later date, but for now, it's on the backburner.

I will be wearing this to the Halo 4 midnight launch, and obviously Halo-ween.

I think that for my next project(s), I'm just gonna do some helmets, because I've rather enjoyed making the ODST helmet. I'll probably put up another thread soon, but for now, I'm not gonna be very active armor-wise. I'll be doing a lot of pep work over the next few months, helmets and other misc stuff just to keep me busy. But by summer, I'll be BACK in full swing making some sweet stuff.

I just have to thank all of you guys who posted to my thread and gave me such motivation on this build, ¡Viva la 405a!

I'll still be around, see you guys! Keep rockin...

Hey mate. I'm also making ODST armour and I'm caught up on the visor. Do you have any tips on spraying the taillight tint? On my practice runs I can't seem to get it right. It always turns out blotchy and blurry. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey mate. I'm also making ODST armour and I'm caught up on the visor. Do you have any tips on spraying the taillight tint? On my practice runs I can't seem to get it right. It always turns out blotchy and blurry. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I can give you absolutely no advice on that. I've yet to find the secret, but if you're going with VHT nightshades, all that I can say is put a little less than you think you might need, because once you get it into the helmet, it'll look much darker.

If I were to do another ODST visor, I'd probably go with a polarized cutting/welding shield, because from what I've seen and heard is that they come pre-shaded and everything and they're crystal-clear to see out of.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back