Halo 3 - Custom High Detail Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is an update. I started fibreglass(had to order it online because no store around here has any and it was cheap.) Well it was WAY too heavy of an ounce. Too hard to fiberglass on the insside. So my dad had this idea that he had used on the hard spots to get to in his Truck when doing body work. Medical Gauze. He said the the fact the cotton absorbs the resin and the woven cotton helps hold it together almost as much as fiberglass. So i believed him. It worked very well. Just did a little rough sanding and here it is. BTW how come no one thought of gauze before?
100_0412.jpg

100_0413.jpg

100_0414.jpg

I'm going to start bondoing soon so i'll keep you updated.

dylan Snyder said:
well the only "true" high detail stuff i have done is your helmet, and robogenesis's boots and hand plates. Everything else i believe is slyfos because i got bored and i really wanted to make something :D But yeah go ahead and make me a thread if you want. I will update it a lot these coming weeks because i finally bought some resin, fiberglass, and bondo.
ohyea, wel they dont count. :p j/k ill make you a thread after this post. :D

Ral Partha said:
At last, I have unfolded FS's torso armor! :lol: (y) Whew, what a beast to unfold! Here's the link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/33324306/768e3...__unfolded.html

A couple of notes:
  1. I have scaled this armor to have an assembled height of 40.3 cm, appropriate for a person 5'8" tall (me :lol: ), according to RG's scaling system.
  2. The file consists of 39 pages, 24 of which are for the armor itself.
  3. A couple of struts turned out to be too long and cannot be cut into smaller pieces so they occupy two pages.
  4. You may have to adjust the font size for the edge ID number. I have set it a 4 at the moment.
  5. There are some details that so incredibly small and detailed (like those things on the shoulders) so cutting and folding them are going to be challenging.
As always, let me know if there's anything wrong with the file so that I can correct it.
wow!!! well done!!! mind if i add this and teh scaling method to the first post?

tonsofhoopla said:
Ahh! very nice FS, now i see what you were talking about whe you said you were experimenting with wax, seems like a really good idea if you do the folding just right,
I might have to give it a try, would make making smaller models of mine way easier,
The only thing i see that could be a small pretty easy to get around issue is the flaps,
do they leave a bevel on the wax when you pull it from the paper? I'm sure if it does that's easily fixed.
But looks very nice FS,

-Justin
you should, its lotsa fun! heres a few tips:

yea the tabs do leave a bit of an indent but thats very easily fixed by gluing them onto the outside instead.
use a TINEY ammount of releasing agent on the paper, it stuck n some parts of the hand plate and caused it to crack.
dont let the wax sit for long periods between layers
if you can, you should remelt the surface of the previous layer so the next layer bonds with it
poke the layer your working on just as it turs to the stage that looks a bit like molten lead so that the finish is quite rough

the last three tips are there to try get the layes to bond very strongly. i tryed it with a handplate yesterday but i had a bit of a disaster. it broke appart in layers and chunks. kinda prity but twaz seriously annoying to have two hours work go down the drain.

Keegan said:
I just printed this monster out! My printer is broken so I had to print one at a time. It was a terribile time for me
holy shiznit!!! that would suck!!!!

tonsofhoopla said:
I feel your pain man, it's 27 degrees where i'm at and makes it impossible to resin or bondo anything, although bondo doesn't really give off a stench so i do that inside sometimes but i don't recommend it.
But if you are interested you should give my method a try, it's coming out beautifully, but it's only worth trying if you are going to cast it in plastic.
I'm using the oil based clay that you would make a model with and do the Molded armor method, so far i've been able to capture really good detail and smoothness, but if you're just making this one to wear, don't bother.
Anyways, good luck!

-Justin
that sounds like a funky method. i was wondering how that was workin out for you acuialy. originaly the wax idea was just to give realy cheap support to the pep so i could use modeling wax over the surface but the i tryed the other way.

silvershadow said:
Thank you! I'm just about done making the FS helmet( jaw gave me a bit of trouble) but it'll look great when its resigned and glassed. My dad has some kinda heater in the garage so hopefully i will finish the helmet today in time to put on a coat of resin tonight. Although this is one monster of a project, I doubt the torso will be nearly as challenging as the helmet with all the little angles and sides.But just to be sure, for the scaling i just need to get the scale from RG's model and put that size into the assembled size right? thanks again FS and thanks for unfolding it Ral!

EDIT: never mind, I think I got the scaling method down
MWAHAHAHAHA (thats my evil laugh) wait till you see the finiky details on the back.

bevbor said:
Do you want additional FS chest .pdo file?
Maybe not so accurate as Ral's, but scaled for A4 and 46 cm high.
Happy gluing!
funky!!! mind if i add this to the first post too?

dylan Snyder said:
Well here is an update. I started fibreglass(had to order it online because no store around here has any and it was cheap.) Well it was WAY too heavy of an ounce. Too hard to fiberglass on the insside. So my dad had this idea that he had used on the hard spots to get to in his Truck when doing body work. Medical Gauze. He said the the fact the cotton absorbs the resin and the woven cotton helps hold it together almost as much as fiberglass. So i believed him. It worked very well. Just did a little rough sanding and here it is. BTW how come no one thought of gauze before?
100_0412.jpg

100_0413.jpg

100_0414.jpg

I'm going to start bondoing soon so i'll keep you updated.
briliant idea with the gause, ive done that with pva glue but not with resin. the only main difference is that your missing the streangth of the glass. i know that sounds silly but it does make a difference- probibly not with this kind of project thoe.

----------------

WOOH!!! the torso has been unfoldified and all is well with the world...well.. almost all... but still, YEAY!!!

importanter stuffs now, over the lat while i got a few pms from ppl lookin for stuff, i think i got back to most of you but im prity sure i missed a good few. if i said ide give you somethin and didnt get back to you, pm me! i wont concider it rude, ive got the memory of a . . . a . . . a whatchamahcallit?! what was i saying??? anyway, im guna delete the older pms cuz its startin to get a lil full.

alsos happyer add-an-'er'-or-'s'-to-your-words day!

alsoer happys make-up-your-own-days day!!!

any problems gimme a shout

FS

Last edited by a moderator:
flying_squirl said:
wow!!! well done!!! mind if i add this and teh scaling method to the first post?
By all means, do so. That's my contribution to this thread and the boards. Use the link below.

BTW, I have overlooked something in the original file that I uploaded. Somehow, my Designer has a default paper and print setting so that even though I saved the file in letter format, the Designer opens it up in A4 format and eventually have saved it that format ever since. I went back to made sure that it saves and opens it in letter format once again. The corrected file has been uploaded and the link is still the same. Nevertheless, here it is again

http://www.4shared.com/file/33442193/638c3...__unfolded.html

I printed out the chest piece today, and plan on starting work on it tomorrow. I used Ral's unfolding, though it took a while to re-organise the pieces after scaling it up to my size.

Ral Partha said:
By all means, do so. That's my contribution to this thread and the boards. Use the link below.

BTW, I have overlooked something in the original file that I uploaded. Somehow, my Designer has a default paper and print setting so that even though I saved the file in letter format, the Designer opens it up in A4 format and eventually have saved it that format ever since. I went back to made sure that it saves and opens it in letter format once again. The corrected file has been uploaded and the link is still the same. Nevertheless, here it is again

http://www.4shared.com/file/33442193/638c3...__unfolded.html
kewl, thanks. mind if i put up both the letter and a4 one? cuz alot of people use both.

bevbor said:
really I have no reason to be against
brilliant thanks.

Garland said:
I printed out the chest piece today, and plan on starting work on it tomorrow. I used Ral's unfolding, though it took a while to re-organise the pieces after scaling it up to my size.
heh, thats onea the main reasons i didnt unfold it myself. ;) keep us up todate with how its goin.

-----------

sooo, anyone started assembling the torso? if so, pikturez? *insert cat picture*

ill put the unfolded torsos into the first post tomorow. im a lil drunk atm so ill proly just mess it up.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYOONE!!!!

(were about 8 hours ahead of america if hyour wondering)

any problems gimme a shout,,

FS

flying_squirl said:
kewl, thanks. mind if i put up both the letter and a4 one? cuz alot of people use both.
Unfortunately, I have already deleted that one and its old link is already gone. However, I have just saved another one in A4 format and I have already uploaded it. Here are the links again:

Torso Piece: Letter Version

Torso Piece: A4 Version

A couple of very minor changes were made to the files above:
  1. I have increased the edge ID font size to 6. Initially, I went to size 4 in the hope of making the numbers more legible in the smaller pieces (it didn't). Plus, I couldn't read the numbers without a magnifying glass or a loupe.
  2. I have de-selected the "Use Materials for Faces" feature so that all the pieces are now white and you don't have to waste the blue ink of your printers.
flying_squirl said:
sooo, anyone started assembling the torso? if so, pikturez? *insert cat picture*
Well, I don't have a digital camera to use so I can't upload any pics but I have already started with the abs part and I must say it's one sharp- and sweet-looking piece.

I highly recommend to all who are putting this together to score the card stock properly to get those sharp folds. Having said that, I also recommend that you don't get overly aggressive in folding the creases or blindly doing them, especially in the pectoral area where the features are more rounded than angular. It'll make the job with the Bondo body filler a lot easier since it will reduce the amount of sanding that need to be done later.

I tried to unfold model to scale as big as possible because in my opinion minimum width of the vest that might fit adult or mature teenager is no less than 40 cm (just try to measure distance between top parts of your shoulders to see the truth). Also I tried to group parts depending on location on the model. Therefore I've got more pages than Ral.
Unfortunately we have a problem for people having relatively big body - they need to unfold model themselves, dividing parts to smaller ones to fit the paper using "Join/Disjoin Face" feature in pepakura designer..
I think we'll be glad to hear from people that have already built armors what their vest width is.

flying_squirl said:
any problems gimme a shout,,
You know, I just realized something here as I completed the abs. The 3D model shows that the abs part is attached to the chest using the support struts. However, these struts need to be removed eventually so it begs this question: how does the abs part remain attached to the chest piece? :unsure: At the moment, I'm thinking of getting a narrow piece of card stock and glue them between the two pieces like a makeshift flap.

bevbor said:
I tried to unfold model to scale as big as possible because in my opinion minimum width of the vest that might fit adult or mature teenager is no less than 40 cm (just try to measure distance between top parts of your shoulders to see the truth).
I think you're right on this one. I'm kinda barrel-chested so this thing I'm putting together, while it has the correct height, might turn out to be a tight fit, if it fits at all.

bevbor said:
Also I tried to group parts depending on location on the model. Therefore I've got more pages than Ral.
I did too but in the end, I want to use all available space. I don't want to waste too much paper

bevbor said:
Unfortunately we have a problem for people having relatively big body - they need to unfold model themselves, dividing parts to smaller ones to fit the paper using "Join/Disjoin Face" feature in pepakura designer..
They don't have to do things all over from the start. They just need to cut some of the pieces that are too long and re-joinin

Ral Partha said:
You know, I just realized something here as I completed the abs. The 3D model shows that the abs part is attached to the chest using the support struts. However, these struts need to be removed eventually so it begs this question: how does the abs part remain attached to the chest piece? :unsure: At the moment, I'm thinking of getting a narrow piece of card stock and glue them between the two pieces like a makeshift flap.
The chest piece is supposed to be that way.
Not many people have noticed this, but go into Halo 3, and look at someone while they look around, you will notice that the ab plate moves separately from the chest piece.

You can still attach it to the chest, seeing that it would be easier to wear. You could also just glass it separately from the chest if you plan to keep it separate.

Ral Partha said:
Unfortunately, I have already deleted that one and its old link is already gone. However, I have just saved another one in A4 format and I have already uploaded it. Here are the links again:

Torso Piece: Letter Version

Torso Piece: A4 Version

A couple of very minor changes were made to the files above:
  1. I have increased the edge ID font size to 6. Initially, I went to size 4 in the hope of making the numbers more legible in the smaller pieces (it didn't). Plus, I couldn't read the numbers without a magnifying glass or a loupe.
  2. I have de-selected the "Use Materials for Faces" feature so that all the pieces are now white and you don't have to waste the blue ink of your printers.
Well, I don't have a digital camera to use so I can't upload any pics but I have already started with the abs part and I must say it's one sharp- and sweet-looking piece.

I highly recommend to all who are putting this together to score the card stock properly to get those sharp folds. Having said that, I also recommend that you don't get overly aggressive in folding the creases or blindly doing them, especially in the pectoral area where the features are more rounded than angular. It'll make the job with the Bondo body filler a lot easier since it will reduce the amount of sanding that need to be done later.
funky, thanks. there in the first post now. kewl!!! have you had any problems with it so far? does it hold its shape well?

bevbor said:
I tried to unfold model to scale as big as possible because in my opinion minimum width of the vest that might fit adult or mature teenager is no less than 40 cm (just try to measure distance between top parts of your shoulders to see the truth). Also I tried to group parts depending on location on the model. Therefore I've got more pages than Ral.
I think we'll be glad to hear from people that have already built armors what their vest width is.
hmm, my sholders from edge to edge are 50 inches. hmmm, ok ill edit that into the link. yea, any info with this part would be handy.

Robogenisis said:
The chest piece is supposed to be that way.
Not many people have noticed this, but go into Halo 3, and look at someone while they look around, you will notice that the ab plate moves separately from the chest piece.

You can still attach it to the chest, seeing that it would be easier to wear. You could also just glass it separately from the chest if you plan to keep it separate.
;)

dannifood4less said:
i say,, we need someone to build this, and post pics so we can all crap our pants.... again.. :)
hahahahahaha, thanks.

-----------
just a reminder, if i said ide send you something and didnt, remind me. cuz ive totaly forgotten. sorry.

anyproblems gimme a shout,

FS

HAPPY 8-BALL!!!!!

ps. By 8-ball I mean, 2008 = 08 = 8 = 8-ball. Last year it was "Bond Year" because 2007 = 007 = James Bond.

flying_squirl said:
funky, thanks. there in the first post now. kewl!!! have you had any problems with it so far? does it hold its shape well?
I've just started the chest part but it's going to be slow going for a while since it's time for me to go back to work. :cautious: The parts that I anticipate to be problematic down the road are those little nubs on the shoulders.

i started building the helmet yesterday, and for some reason two parts which should be the same size, are not. They are pieces that go right above the visor along the "wavy" part. One fits perfectly while the other is to short by about 1cm.

Has this happened to anyone else?

s-meister said:
HAPPY 8-BALL!!!!!

ps. By 8-ball I mean, 2008 = 08 = 8 = 8-ball. Last year it was "Bond Year" because 2007 = 007 = James Bond.
haha, ok, happy 8ball. is next year german year? (NINE!!)

Ral Partha said:
I've just started the chest part but it's going to be slow going for a while since it's time for me to go back to work. :cautious: The parts that I anticipate to be problematic down the road are those little nubs on the shoulders.
yea, i started back yesterday. ugh! heh, yea, i kinda went a bit overbord with em.

TrintLord said:
i started building the helmet yesterday, and for some reason two parts which should be the same size, are not. They are pieces that go right above the visor along the "wavy" part. One fits perfectly while the other is to short by about 1cm.

Has this happened to anyone else?
hmm, not my one. hav any pictures?

ÐEADLY™ said:
nice nice i like the look of the torso
thanks. :D

The torso file looks amazing, can't wait to get started on it.
Thanks for creating and posting your files :) and thanks to Ral Partha and bevbor for unfolding the torso... saved me a lot of work :D

i looked at the unfolded models, and i must say that they did a good job, i just finished my helmet,,, i *MIGHT* attempt this chest ill let a few people start before me to see if they run into any problems, and to see how it comes out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back