Halo 3 FOAM Battle Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

HEY 405th!

Yeah, I am back into the building thing again. XD

I'm in the process of editing files for my Hayabusa costume. It's a slow process due to lack of free time. Baby Chief makes it hard to do this stuff as much as I want. :p

ANYway.......since I've been getting annoyed with the MKVI files (mainly because I SUCK at modeling so it's been frustrating), I decided to start working on something I already had templates for AND because I will need it for my costume. :p

Halo 3 Battle Rifle!

I am ATTEMPTING to make it out of foam and I have constantly been looking at reference images, but I just don't seem to be finding anything good to where I can make out ALL the detail and just how everything looks on it. I have the mini diecast replica, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't include every little bit of detail.

Here is where I am at so far:

2lw502a.jpg

2evdhub.jpg

Those ARE metal bars for the barrels. They actually came from an old floor lamp that I used to have and the pieces would just screw together. I threw the lamp out a LONG time ago, but I kept the bars because I knew I could use them for something. ;) I alos thin the metal bars will help to keep it a little more sturdy once it's fully assembled.

Right now, I'm actually NOT too happy with how it's turning out. :\ I feel like I am going about the construction of it the wrong way. I'm new to doing weapons. I don't even have one yet. If there is anyone that has a thread of a foam H3 BR that they did that looks REALLY good (or if you know of someone), I would like to see it so I can maybe get a better idea of how to go about making it since I want it to look good. XD :p I'm just interested in seeing the steps of construction.

Attachments

• 2lw502a.jpg
    2lw502a.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 2evdhub.jpg
    2evdhub.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 219
Okay, so here is where I am at now. Baby Chief took a good nap and I was able to get some work done. :p

Here is the inside of the BR. The bars are not set in place yet. Since the width of the bars is thicker than the width of the foam, I will be needing to use my dremel and carve into the foam a little bit so they sit better inside.
2zhkr61.jpg

This is the outer right side. Still missing a few areas. My plan is to hopefully dremel around the edges once I get the outer left side put on and all the extra detail and HOPE that by using the dremel on the edges, it will clean it up a lot better and not look like crap. :\
mj5uah.jpg

I also think I am going to change the trigger area. One side looks all nice and smooth, but the other side is showing the texture from the foam and I don't like it. I just gotta try and find something around the house that I can use.

Attachments

• 2zhkr61.jpg
    2zhkr61.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 193
  • mj5uah.jpg
    mj5uah.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 208
Glad to see you've finally started building again! The rifle looks great so far and I can't wait to see you finally finish going 'Busa haha.

Wow, you make scratch building weapons out of foam look easy. Great job! Something you may consider if you're trying to clean up your cuts with the dremel, is heating the metal pipes and using them to melt down burs. Keep up the great work!

-Ryan M-082

YES! May i say I admire your creativity. Stuff like this gives all of us inspiration.
Thanks. ^_^

Glad to see you've finally started building again! The rifle looks great so far and I can't wait to see you finally finish going 'Busa haha.
Yeah, I'm glad to be building again. It helps relieve some of the stress with being a new mom. XD I hope my Busa gets done soon. That will still be awhile since I am wanting to go ALL OUT for that one. :p

Wow, you make scratch building weapons out of foam look easy. Great job! Something you may consider if you're trying to clean up your cuts with the dremel, is heating the metal pipes and using them to melt down burs. Keep up the great work!

-Ryan M-082
I don't think I would call it scratch building since I AM using templates from a sliced model. :p As far as the burs from taking the dremel to the foam, I haven't had any issues keeping it clean. Plus most of it will get covered so I'm not too worried about it. :)

AAAAAAAnyway.......
Well, managed to get some more work done today! :D

I was able to dremel out the area so my metal rods would fit better in between the foam, put all 3 pieces together, rounded out a few areas and started to wrap the edges to hide the yucky glue seams. XD

Still got a ways to go though. It's NOT going to look anywhere near as good as I would like it since this is the FIRST weapon I have made for myself, but eh, at least I will finally have something to go with my costume. :|

9tpl53.jpg

25yy51h.jpg

15xetu.jpg

255qnh2.jpg

eklufm.jpg

Attachments

• 9tpl53.jpg
    9tpl53.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 25yy51h.jpg
    25yy51h.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 193
  • 15xetu.jpg
    15xetu.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 255qnh2.jpg
    255qnh2.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 197
  • eklufm.jpg
    eklufm.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 208
Okay, so I have to put this on a short hold. I don't have anymore hot glue. XD

I gotta wait until next payday which is a week from today. Hopefully around then I will be able to post pictures of some more updates. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back