Halo 3: Odst - Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
mc hammer time said:
Or flex-a-foam-it. holy crap...im a GENIOUS

lol i was think about peping it then making a mold then using flexfoam but its too expensive

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That armor strap looks great! While I'm still not sure whether to use the pep or just a vest, I'm thinking that it may be a good idea. Flex-foam might work fine, but I might use my method I used on my handplate (Mark IV) when I didn't have any resin: I pepped it, filling the inside with a layer of hot glue (no glue-pot-burner-thing required, just a glue gun), and then adding several layers of waterproofing on the outside. The waterproofing smoothes the flattish edges while making the paper model on the outside more solid. Then just paint your piece and add another one or two layers of waterproofing. I remember using some trimmed craftsticks on the inside of the handplate for added support. This method keeps the model strong while loosing the rigidity of resin. I think I have a pic or two of the handplate. It's slightly flexible but still strong:

dsc03771.jpg

dsc03772k.jpg

Keep in mind that I only had one to two layers of waterproofing on this. It was kind of a fast job because I just wanted to see how the handplate would turn out. Then again, making a mould for a bendy cast would probably work much better. Anyway, I like the shoulder straps, and thanks for adding them to the thread!

First off i want to thank nightshade,crackhead009,and 1manbatallion for their efforts. I would also like to ask if anyone has a working link to the hip plates i havent been able to find any. I would appreciate it greatly, thank yall for everything

-Dusty

i was thinking that if you mounted the straps onto the neck/back piece, it would eliminate all indipendant movement of the shoulder strap. i would think that this would negate the effect of the piece being solid. also, you could put a simple hinge onto the back pad for a little more flexability. im just trying to brainstorm here so if you have ideas please speak up!

EDIT: BTW thanks for putting up the sceenshot Ral!

sierra092 said:
on the rookie's shoulder, is the top part (circled in the picture) meant to rest on the shoulder, as in your should would go into the inside of the plate reather then the whole thing sticking out of your shoulder?

odstshoulder.jpg

Also, does anyone have a diagram of how to connect all the should pads (including the triangle thing) to the armour? AND I'm about 5'11", should I scale the shoulders to about 270-280?

i dont know if it is just me, but there seems to be a band of some kinda (elastic maybe?) that attaches to the back of the shoulder pad/bicep guard and holds it to the arm, its kinda light grey-ish in the pic, dont know how effective it will be to actually use that method, but i will prolly try it out once i get my lazy butt back in gear :lol

Syphon said:
i dont know if it is just me, but there seems to be a band of some kinda (elastic maybe?) that attaches to the back of the shoulder pad/bicep guard and holds it to the arm, its kinda light grey-ish in the pic, dont know how effective it will be to actually use that method, but i will prolly try it out once i get my lazy butt back in gear :lol

I'll wait until I've seen other people strap their shoulder pieces before I go and attach mine then - to see afew good methods :)

Would we have to attach the bottom piece, the triangle piece and the top piece together when we're bondoing or strap them together afterwards?

sierra092 said:
I'll wait until I've seen other people strap their shoulder pieces before I go and attach mine then - to see afew good methods :)

Would we have to attach the bottom piece, the triangle piece and the top piece together when we're bondoing or strap them together afterwards?

i would get everything fiberglassed then drill a hole in each end of the triangle piece,then make 2 hinges and but one on each of the other pieces where they would connect,so that the pieces would be connceted but the bottom and top piece could swivel for better mobility

drill a hole in each end of the triangle piece,then make 2 hinges and but one on each of the other pieces where they would connect,so that the pieces would be connceted but the bottom and top piece could swivel for better mobility

Umm, could you explain that in a little more detail? Sorry, but my brain tried to visualize what you're saying and ... I just ... failed.

Anyway, I just finished pepping Crackhead's HD forearm and it was a fun build. I scaled it to 292mm long and then cut out some strips in the finished pep to make the arm opening much less wide while not loosing details, if you know what I mean. Like a custom pep to fit my skinny arm (yeah, there ain't much of a difference in thickness between my elbow and wrist). I also finished pepping Crackhead's thigh piece, which I scaled to 360mm (instead of 390) and I can get it on with jeans on and it still stays on, so that's great. I'll just save the pics for my own armor progress thread once I get everything resined (before resining, etc, there isn't much need for discussion, IMO).

Up next, I think I'll dig up Th3 FETT MAN's boot plate file and build that. That leaves my other shoulder and gauntlet, the other thigh, the shin armor, backpack, and helmet. (Lol, I know it's a lot). By the way, does a Halo 3 ODST suit still require that chest-platy-vesy-neck file that was released for the WETA project? Just wondering, anyway, just giving a little update on the armor.

Oh, and also, after looking at the pic quoted in Syphon's post (oh, btw, hi Syphon), is that shape circled in white an armored plate needing to be modeled? It doesn't look like part of the soft undersuit. Just wondering:

odstshoulder.jpg

Cheers,

Shade

Hey Nightshade,

First I'd like to congratulate you for your patience and work and tenacity with all the modeling and rushing these models out to us.

Secondly, everyone's building the shins, but I was wondering what the difference was between the WETA style shins, and the game style shins?

My other question, has the crotch plate been modeled?

- Fitz

Again, thanks!

Nightshade said:
Umm, could you explain that in a little more detail? Sorry, but my brain tried to visualize what you're saying and ... I just ... failed.

lol sorry its kinda hard to explain in works so i drew a diagram of what i plan on doing but my camera is only a 5mega pixel but i hope u can read/see it

[attachment=11160:DSC00164.JPG]

[attachment=11161:DSC00165.JPG]

[attachment=11162:DSC00166.JPG]

Ohh, ok, I get it, very nice illustrations. Yes, that design would keep each piece movable while still solidly connecting the three pieces. I think I'll use that method for my own shoulders.

Hey Nightshade,

First I'd like to congratulate you for your patience and work and tenacity with all the modeling and rushing these models out to us.

Hey man, nice to hear from you! I'm glad you like the models and I hope you're planning on your own ODST suit. And by the way, the crotchplate has not yet been modeled, but I think I'll have one up in a day or two ...

Oh, and is anyone planning on unfolding that latest center equiptment plate (without the ring) and posting a link? Just wondering, cuz I wanted to get that onto the wiki. BIG THANKS to Ral Partha for adding the ODST pieces onto the wiki. Check it our for yourself!

i think that there was one crotch piece that was made by 1manbattalion...i think. check his thread. the piece is very simple so its really low def.

Nightshade said:
Ohh, ok, I get it, very nice illustrations. Yes, that design would keep each piece movable while still solidly connecting the three pieces. I think I'll use that method for my own shoulders.

Oh, and is anyone planning on unfolding that latest center equiptment plate (without the ring) and posting a link? Just wondering, cuz I wanted to get that onto the wiki. BIG THANKS to Ral Partha for adding the ODST pieces onto the wiki. Check it our for yourself!

thanks i hope my method will work good i havnt made the shoulders yet but i plan on doing so when i get back from vacation and about unfolding the center piece i wish i was home so i could but i dont have pepword for the pepakura designer on my laptop but i think ill take a shot at it when i get home in a week

Hey Fitz, I hope that this works. I modeled it off of THIS picture, although I haven't made the very bottom crotch plate yet. This is the one that the two straps connect to from the belt buckle:

crotchplate1pep.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have the link up, but the stupid security software keeps blocking me from uploading it onto 4Shared. I'll just get my dad to fix that and I'll have it up ASAP ...

Nightshade said:
Hey Fitz, I hope that this works. I modeled it off of THIS picture, although I haven't made the very bottom crotch plate yet. This is the one that the two straps connect to from the belt buckle:

Thank you very much Nightshade.

darkesword2020 said:
Secondly, everyone's building the shins, but I was wondering what the difference was between the WETA style shins, and the game style shins?

They look about the same so i'd say use the WETA ones for H3:$dst shins.

also make sure you use the new unfold, its WAY easier.

Hey can you please put up the link to that? The one on SKG's thread looks pretty difficult (lol, unless that's the one you mean)

By the way FalseKnightmare, lol, you joined the 405th on my birthday. I just noticed that ...

Thank you very much Nightshade.

- Fitz

No problem, man, my pleasure ...

FalseKnightmare said:
also make sure you use the new unfold, its WAY easier.

yeah nice ufolded shins would be a great help since the ones i have look ridiculously hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back