Halo 3: Odst - Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, buddy, here is my revision of the side plate(s) and beltplate based on the artist's renders in the link. The side plate was completely redone from scratch, but the beltplate just needed a bit of proportional fixes, etc. I hope you like it!

left_side_plate_obj.obj

beltplate_obj.obj

Shade

PS - Sorry about the one or two unintentional red lines in the side plate. There was really nothing I could do to get rid of them :(

Nightshade said:
... PS - Sorry about the one or two unintentional red lines in the side plate. There was really nothing I could do to get rid of them :(

I fixed those couple of open edges, can fire a link your way if you want it.

screenshot20091101at723.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor said:
I fixed those couple of open edges, can fire a link your way if you want it.

screenshot20091101at723.png

what iv realized with that peice though is that its rounded to form to the body not flat. does anyone else agree?

ugh lol looks like i need to do a bit more unfolding but thats not a problem

ill work on the belt plate and when someone puts up the side equip plate without the open edges ill get on that

Hey Belakor, thanks for the fixes! I don't know how ya' did it, but thanks! I tried manually merging the vertices, but it didn't do anything.

As for the curviness of the side plates, I think you may be right. I thought so too, but I didn't wanna model it like that unless someone said something, because I didn't know if I'd be totally wrong about it.

According to this picture, I might in fact be rounded to fit the chest, just like the chestplate. Opinions?

odstchestupdates1z.jpg

Also, Harding, you don't actually have to re-unfold those. I did that because Maleck offered to do some unfolding. I didn't mean to make you re-re-re-unfold some parts :)

As to whether to post a link to Belakor's fixed model, I'd say, wait until I either curve them or not (maybe he could do that as well) and, if it still needs fixing, send it to him. But again, I bet that, with Belakor's modeling expertise, it would probably be easier for him to do that. Again, thanks for the fixed model, dude!

Shade

EDIT: One more thing. The raised area on the left of the plate. Should that just be a floating plate which could be used as a template for a thicker material to be cut and then glued to the surface of the pep piece, which would insted be flat? It seems like that would be easier. Just like how I managed the raised detail on the side of the SMG. Wouldn't that make folding easier? Just a thought ...

Nightshade said:
EDIT: One more thing. The raised area on the left of the plate. Should that just be a floating plate which could be used as a template for a thicker material to be cut and then glued to the surface of the pep piece, which would insted be flat? It seems like that would be easier. Just like how I managed the raised detail on the side of the SMG. Wouldn't that make folding easier? Just a thought ...

i was just about to ask u about that Nightshade,lol,yeah i would like to see that because it wouldnt just make the unfold easier but also the build

and i dont mind re unfolding things since i think the side euip plate looks super sexy now lol and i do think u should make it curve to the body

Looking great and I agree with Harding23 the floating faces would be cool and probably more simple to make. Also the curve of the chest piece is something at I agree with too. It does seem to curve a bit. Anywho it all looks great man can't wait to see it finished and pep it up. Lol

Nightshade said:
Ok guys, how's this? I made the raised detail separate (along with a foamies template for Bondo detailing on the edges) and made the geometry a bit cleaner, as well as curved the whole piece a bit. Tell me how it looks:

(2) left_side_plate_obj.obj

Nice job man looks great :D

I think the only thing we need done now is the upper shoulder strap

and the left thigh

hey nightshade great job on the new side plate but I think your old one was more accurate to ODST. If you look at a picture from the game the bottom outside of the plate doesn't jut out like the one you just made but is more like your old one. That being said, I do like the rounded edges a lot.

Nightshade, sorry for the time it took to unfold as I wasn`t on the computer. It's tricky because it's not straight so there are a lot of small pieces as I tried to avoid having tiny flaps. I`ll build it tonight (or I'll try) and maybe I'm going to revise it to see if there are some things I can change to make the build easier.

I've reduced the angle to 165 in an attempt to make it smooth to not much avail. The only thing I gained was to have no fold on the two "templates".

Here is the link

http://www.4shared.com/file/145493272/33133902/ODST_Left_side_plateNightshadeMeleck.html

Anyone have comments, I'll take them.

nrettenmaier said:
hey nightshade great job on the new side plate but I think your old one was more accurate to ODST. If you look at a picture from the game the bottom outside of the plate doesn't jut out like the one you just made but is more like your old one. That being said, I do like the rounded edges a lot.

i agree with nrettenmaier, i believe your first plate looked more accurate then your new one. especially according to this screeny

chestplaterender.png

nrettenmaier said:
Crook that would be awesome. Any idea how long its going to take you to get to the rookie's helmet?

Well I should be able to start on it here in a few days. I've got quite a few projects I'm currently working on so I'm having to jump from one to another, but it shouldn't be too long.

This last plate is from the reference material from Nathan Rogers. Here is a better picture of the actual plate from the Files.Bungie.org high rez pictures of the characters (available at http://files.bungie.org/odst_assets/ ). I modified the lighting so the details are easier to see.

Bungie.net image

[attachment=13259:Mickey Side Plate.png]

Nathan Rogers image

[attachment=13260:NR Left Plate.png]

From both images, we are still missing the "love bumper" plates (for lack of a more illustrative term).

Addendum (to prevent double posts): I started work on building the side plate and I realize that my unfold is hard to build because of the curve and the width of my pieces. I've done another one but I can't post it right now. I think it's much better with the experience that I've had tring to build the previous one. I'll update my unfold on 4shared in about 8 hours and I'll try to build that one after.

Hey so i PM-ed a few of you. disregard those i got everything now so i am ready to go. They only thing that no one seems to have are the small flaps about the thigh that over hangs them. i cant seem to find those so if anyone has 'em PUT 'EM UP!!!

Oh and can someone put links up again of the piece that lays on top of the chest. i think someone had the same problem a page back. Great work everyone! you people are nothing but and inspiration to me! You guys are great!

Also too i forgot. i the link is also broken for the HD shins WITH the knee cap. if someone can re post that i would love it! thanks!

@Ratchet_Fan

If I'm understanding you correctly you're asking for the hip plates that go over the thigh armor. As far as I know you have to get that from the WETA thread. I'd post the link but I need to go somewhere soon so I don't have time to look for it, but hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find.

nrettenmaier said:
@Ratchet_Fan

If I'm understanding you correctly you're asking for the hip plates that go over the thigh armor. As far as I know you have to get that from the WETA thread. I'd post the link but I need to go somewhere soon so I don't have time to look for it, but hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find.

i couldn't find those pieces but it is no biggy.... maybe i didnt look hard enough. i'll check again.

nrettenmaier said:
Hey ratchet_fan, if you download belakor's zip file on the first post of the WETA ODST armor thread the hip plate is in there

thanks that helps! i decided that i am going to sculpt the chest pieces and side armor out of foam. i feel i'll get it a little more accurate because i can use a knife easier than gluing paper together.... hopefully it turns out.

can someone re-post this piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back