Halo 5 Fred-104: Foam Techsuit and Armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:

Thinking hard about it I decided to commission a 3d rendered helmet by Indigenous Effects for the purposes for 3d printing it for myself.

I will no longer make this out of EVA foam. I will be using my Ender 3 Pro to 3d print all of the helmet, minus the visor. There is a possibility that I will make a mold for this helmet and slush-cast this in resin for a more solid helmet. I like the weight of my ODST helmet that was slush cast in resin and I like the idea of the doing the same for my Fred helmet.

Who knows, maybe I will open myself up to casting more of these for commission! ;)

-Mortimush

seanawnwalt and Marinesniper:

For the Techsuit:

I have been using the files provided in the armory for the unfolded techsuit. I mirror-imaged one side, and then printed it out, taping all the pieces together. Once I sized it right to my torso, I then started cutting out the MOST raised parts (the pecs and a few pieces along the abs). I will need to start shaping these and somehow get a hex pattern in the pectorals. No photo updates yet as life has been busy and I have been working on other projects that go along with this one.

Other updates:
I am using a 3d file on thingiverse by: OddWorks for a Halo 5 pistol. This one is not a game file so the geometry of the gun is probably the most accurate and pretty one I could find. Another bonus, it is designed to have a functioning trigger and other things! I did size his file up to %120 to fit my hand more like it does for the spartans, otherwise it will fit a normal human hand somewhat snug (imagine a real pistol). Consider checking out OddWorks on facebook or Thingiverse, they respond and is super friendly!

I got some foam ordered so now I just need to start this gorram thing. Wish me luck and I willy try to give more updates as the year passes, but I am entering a graduate program so **Shrug** who knows when I will have the time.

-Mortimush

You can either skin the hex areas using something like the Yaya Han hex fabric or go the route I did and hate yourself, errr I mean hand carve all of them. Its extra work, but I love the look you can achieve.
58BA989D-0D54-412A-ACFB-A15B77D706D0.jpegD8CD2F3D-CE64-4E78-BEBE-7A3059241A12.jpegDAB52678-7CD2-4BAF-8A64-724E92238E5B.pngA0E31604-CA82-48E0-B7A0-FEDB07A0AD83.png

You can either skin the hex areas using something like the Yaya Han hex fabric or go the route I did and hate yourself, errr I mean hand carve all of them. Its extra work, but I love the look you can achieve.
View attachment 294631View attachment 294632View attachment 294633View attachment 294634
Whoa hey now, that laser cut stuff looks beautiful! I am going to probably use that as inspiration cause I think I'm going to go the route of hand-carving all of this, and hating it lol

Whoa hey now, that laser cut stuff looks beautiful! I am going to probably use that as inspiration cause I think I'm going to go the route of hand-carving all of this, and hating it lol
A laser cutter would have been very handy on these, it was all by hand.

just make sure to do it in small sections and take your time, i cant tell you how many hand cramps i ended up with doing these haha

An ambitious build but I'm excited to see where it goes!

Just make sure you obtain permission to sell casts of these helmets from the studio first
Oh absolutely! I have already confirmed with the artist and will credit them in everything I post pertaining to the design and build of the helmet so that way they get recognition for their hard work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back