Halo 5 Noble armour - first time builder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beemo8bit

Hello! Fantastic forum that I've been watching and learning from for a while. I've never made any costumes except a Judge Death for my kid, but decided to build Noble spartan armour for myself, hopefully in time for London's MCM Expo in October. Feel like it was a bad choice to start so complex, but too late to stop now! :)

EVA foam mats for pretty much everything, and craft foam, foamboard and card details. It's not 100%; I've made some mistakes, simplified a few things, and am eyeballing most of it. Pretty happy with it being my first build.

Progress photos below - forearms and upper arms done, abdomen and lower back done, knees done, railgun done, and busy on the thighs at the moment!

IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG

Rock on, meet friend! Looking good. I really like that colorful and family friendly weapon! Hahaha. Looking great, keep it up!

All looking pretty dam good for a first build. You have so much more detail then my first. Railgun looks like it was built by a seasoned foamsmith. Look forward to seeing more, keep it up!!

Last edited:
This build brought to you by the colors of the Disney Chanel............Beemo8bit, great job so far!!!

Thighs done except for a little gap filling! They’re a bit narrow, but when I put them on they take on the correct shape.
View attachment 257927

If you heat the foam a bit and then put them on, you'll get the correct shape and they will stay that way.

This build brought to you by the colors of the Disney Chanel............Beemo8bit, great job so far!!!
If you heat the foam a bit and then put them on, you'll get the correct shape and they will stay that way.

I did a bit of heating around the top, but was a bit nervous as I've never done it before. Heating and then putting them on is a good idea, thanks for the tip.

Here’s a shin piece in progress. I had a few tries using pepakura to build test pieces and templates, but found it too fiddly. So my process now is to make test pieces from box cardboard, then draw the templates from those. Much easier! The shins are too thin to get my foot through, so I’ll probably be putting a strap into the back detailing later.
50EAA515-1DAB-4333-992A-567E249CB387.jpeg

OK!! I’ve done the shins; I’ve taken a lot of liberties with the design. Not too pleased with that, but they’re recognisable as the Noble design at least. The big issue is putting them on. I’ve left the one side of each back open, and tried a simple hook system to lock the one. It’s a bit fiddly and reliable though. I’m contemplating putting a clip on the back, although that would deviate from the design a lot. Has anyone else solved an issue like this? Also included a quick shot of the whole leg. Boots next!
9284AFD8-138D-4DA2-BCF0-C22DFEFB90DC.jpeg D7806D97-1F68-4534-B569-921B25040AA2.jpeg BD2C89CF-B9D0-42CC-AD6A-75A2747AD8A3.jpeg 6CEAE0AE-82F3-4933-8B31-EBF73F0063A7.jpeg 0FBFE507-F287-4ED5-9C35-1FC7481B2750.jpeg

OK!! I’ve done the shins; I’ve taken a lot of liberties with the design. Not too pleased with that, but they’re recognisable as the Noble design at least. The big issue is putting them on. I’ve left the one side of each back open, and tried a simple hook system to lock the one. It’s a bit fiddly and reliable though. I’m contemplating putting a clip on the back, although that would deviate from the design a lot. Has anyone else solved an issue like this? Also included a quick shot of the whole leg. Boots next!
View attachment 258350 View attachment 258351 View attachment 258352 View attachment 258353 View attachment 258354

My shins inside have two inches of compressible foam on the on the outstep and one on the instep to compensate for bowlegged shape and then a parachute clip on either side of the calves to keep everything in place. It's fiddly getting dressed but everything is secure when worn thanks to the tight fitting bodysuit.

Wow! Looks great! I love the rainbow look. You should definitely get a pic of you wearing it before paint XD

My shins inside have two inches of compressible foam on the on the outstep and one on the instep to compensate for bowlegged shape and then a parachute clip on either side of the calves to keep everything in place. It's fiddly getting dressed but everything is secure when worn thanks to the tight fitting bodysuit.

I'm planning on using foam inside too; I didn't know those clips were called parachute clips, but you gave me the guts to put them around the back - working well, so much easier than the clips I was trying to use!

View attachment 258350 View attachment 258351 View attachment 258352 View attachment 258353 View attachment 258354
For my son's shins, I cut them vertically down the centre of the calf and used strong velcro. Holds pretty tight, and hidden in the seam. I can send you a pic shortly.

For my son's shins, I cut them vertically down the centre of the calf and used strong velcro. Holds pretty tight, and hidden in the seam. I can send you a pic shortly.

I had trouble with Velcro coming loose on another costume for my son - how did you attach it, hot glue?

I had trouble with Velcro coming loose on another costume for my son - how did you attach it, hot glue?
No, I found some "industrial" velcro, and the glue is very sticky. It holds really well with just that.
Hot glue might work what if you seal the foam first, so it's a totally smooth, non-porous surface? That might help it stick.
Since I'm using super glue to quick set the pieces, I've noticed that it you just use a little glue, it makes it smooth and firm on the foam edges. That might allow the velcro to stick better .
20180814_061347.jpg
20180814_061305.jpg
20180814_061240.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back