Halo 5 Noble armour - first time builder!

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Beemo8bit, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Hello! Fantastic forum that I've been watching and learning from for a while. I've never made any costumes except a Judge Death for my kid, but decided to build Noble spartan armour for myself, hopefully in time for London's MCM Expo in October. Feel like it was a bad choice to start so complex, but too late to stop now! :)

EVA foam mats for pretty much everything, and craft foam, foamboard and card details. It's not 100%; I've made some mistakes, simplified a few things, and am eyeballing most of it. Pretty happy with it being my first build.

Progress photos below - forearms and upper arms done, abdomen and lower back done, knees done, railgun done, and busy on the thighs at the moment!

IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0378.JPG

2. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Rock on, meet friend! Looking good. I really like that colorful and family friendly weapon! Hahaha. Looking great, keep it up!

Dirtdives likes this.
  3. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Thanks! SOOO tempted to leave it colourful! :D

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117 Well-Known Member

All looking pretty dam good for a first build. You have so much more detail then my first. Railgun looks like it was built by a seasoned foamsmith. Look forward to seeing more, keep it up!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Dirtdives likes this.
  5. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Cheers - if it wasn't for the people who've gone before and shared their knowledge, I'd have no idea what I'm doing! :)

Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  6. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Literally the reason for the forum, haha. I hope my work turns out like yours. Amazing!

7. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Thighs done except for a little gap filling! They’re a bit narrow, but when I put them on they take on the correct shape.
    36F54DFE-0901-430D-81D5-00119945284E.jpeg

PaiganBoi and Dirtdives like this.
  8. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

This build brought to you by the colors of the Disney Chanel............Beemo8bit, great job so far!!!

If you heat the foam a bit and then put them on, you'll get the correct shape and they will stay that way.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  9. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

I did a bit of heating around the top, but was a bit nervous as I've never done it before. Heating and then putting them on is a good idea, thanks for the tip.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

I really want to see a test fit of the full armour before you start painting.
    I bet you would fit in nicely with the crew of the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.

Beemo8bit and Dirtdives like this.
  11. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

Or any animated movie.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  12. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Here’s a shin piece in progress. I had a few tries using pepakura to build test pieces and templates, but found it too fiddly. So my process now is to make test pieces from box cardboard, then draw the templates from those. Much easier! The shins are too thin to get my foot through, so I’ll probably be putting a strap into the back detailing later.
    50EAA515-1DAB-4333-992A-567E249CB387.jpeg

mumgoot, Dirtdives and PaiganBoi like this.
  13. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

OK!! I’ve done the shins; I’ve taken a lot of liberties with the design. Not too pleased with that, but they’re recognisable as the Noble design at least. The big issue is putting them on. I’ve left the one side of each back open, and tried a simple hook system to lock the one. It’s a bit fiddly and reliable though. I’m contemplating putting a clip on the back, although that would deviate from the design a lot. Has anyone else solved an issue like this? Also included a quick shot of the whole leg. Boots next!
    9284AFD8-138D-4DA2-BCF0-C22DFEFB90DC.jpeg D7806D97-1F68-4534-B569-921B25040AA2.jpeg BD2C89CF-B9D0-42CC-AD6A-75A2747AD8A3.jpeg 6CEAE0AE-82F3-4933-8B31-EBF73F0063A7.jpeg 0FBFE507-F287-4ED5-9C35-1FC7481B2750.jpeg

Deaadshot and TurboCharizard like this.
  14. IPv6 Subnet

IPv6 Subnet Member

Your foam build looks really great! Will be sure to stay posted when you decide to paint it and add further features.

Beemo8bit likes this.
  15. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

My shins inside have two inches of compressible foam on the on the outstep and one on the instep to compensate for bowlegged shape and then a parachute clip on either side of the calves to keep everything in place. It's fiddly getting dressed but everything is secure when worn thanks to the tight fitting bodysuit.

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  16. Deaadshot

Deaadshot New Member

Wow! Looks great! I love the rainbow look. You should definitely get a pic of you wearing it before paint XD

17. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

I'm planning on using foam inside too; I didn't know those clips were called parachute clips, but you gave me the guts to put them around the back - working well, so much easier than the clips I was trying to use!

18. topless68

topless68 New Member

For my son's shins, I cut them vertically down the centre of the calf and used strong velcro. Holds pretty tight, and hidden in the seam. I can send you a pic shortly.

19. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

I had trouble with Velcro coming loose on another costume for my son - how did you attach it, hot glue?

20. topless68

topless68 New Member

No, I found some "industrial" velcro, and the glue is very sticky. It holds really well with just that.
    Hot glue might work what if you seal the foam first, so it's a totally smooth, non-porous surface? That might help it stick.
    Since I'm using super glue to quick set the pieces, I've noticed that it you just use a little glue, it makes it smooth and firm on the foam edges. That might allow the velcro to stick better .
    20180814_061347.jpg 20180814_061305.jpg 20180814_061240.jpg

21. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

I'll try it out, thanks for the details!

22. topless68

topless68 New Member

no problem. Wasn't sure of the best way to fix this, and had to think of something that was easily "put on/take off-able". We'll see how it holds up after lots of uses. I'm planning to use the same velcro to secure the front and back halves of the torso, and thighs (once I have them built). I figure the bicep and forearms should be easy to just slide up. I think I might use the velcro on the undersuit to hold the armour in place, keep it from sliding down and/or spinning around.

I'm with you on the multi-coloured armour. This just happened to be what was available. My stuff is mish mosh of primary colours. Ikea armour. :)

Beemo8bit and Sean Anwalt like this.
  23. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

It’s been a productive week. Done the boots and one glove - all very fiddly and can’t say I enjoyed them, but I’m happy with the results! The shoes are not super accurate, and I tried to keep them (and the gloves) practical. The base gloves are cut down Halloween elbow gloves, costing about 90p a pair, with foam overlays.

1CE4CF15-AC11-4A14-BFC2-CECF78764AB0.jpeg

962C6ECA-9489-4214-95C3-8DCBEC920B5C.jpeg

2AA7FAB7-000A-48F4-BCB2-85615D9B5659.jpeg

24. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

I always get a chuckle seeing this build with all the colours.
    Love how the gloves turned out. They look great.

25. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Thanks, I really will be sad to apply the final paint job! :D