Halo 5 Noble armour - first time builder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been amazing to watch!

Quick question, what's with the snack box in the middle of the chest? Why did you not just make that out of foam too? And... will it hold snacks? ;)

And to answer the question earlier yes, Woodland Foam Putty dries into a foamy substance so it does flex. You would still want to do a sealing method like pva or rubberized paint. Any plans for sealing?

Thanks man! It's been insane to do! I used a pepakura template for the chest - I just couldn't do it without one - and found that bit too fiddly, it's a weird shape that I struggled with. So I carved it out of the foam instead of doing it neatly, and covered up the mess with card. :) The boob doors would have made good storage, wish I'd thought of that...

Sounds interesting, how flexible is it?
I've been using it and I don't really know. It is squishy and bendable, but I've only used it to fill in holes and cover the seams and gaps and make everything flush and one price. Works great, but I'm not sure about it if it were a big chunk, if it would act like eva

As far as sealing goes, the plan atm is the usual heat seal and rubber spray..the usual one, can’t recall it’s name right now. At least until I’ve looked into the potential cost. How many cans are usually used to do a few coats on a whole suit?

As far as sealing goes, the plan atm is the usual heat seal and rubber spray..the usual one, can’t recall it’s name right now. At least until I’ve looked into the potential cost. How many cans are usually used to do a few coats on a whole suit?

I think you are thinking of Plastidip, and where I live, they go for about $6/can, though I hear that price can vary in other countries.

I think you are thinking of Plastidip, and where I live, they go for about $6/can, though I hear that price can vary in other countries.
It can vary a bloody lot... In Canada it can range between $16 to $22 depending on what store and if its on sale.
TurboCharizard knows his stuff and could list off a few alternatives.
Beemo8bit, there is a product that you might be able to get locally since I believe it's from the UK. It's called FlexiPaint.
Cosplay | Costumes, Props, Foam & Flexi Paint from Tyges Supplies
See if this works for you.

It can vary a bloody lot... In Canada it can range between $16 to $22 depending on what store and if its on sale.
TurboCharizard knows his stuff and could list off a few alternatives.
Beemo8bit, there is a product that you might be able to get locally since I believe it's from the UK. It's called FlexiPaint.
Cosplay | Costumes, Props, Foam & Flexi Paint from Tyges Supplies
See if this works for you.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve had a good look around. The flexipaint seems like a decent product, but isn’t sprayable and you need to buy extra silicon to coat it as it stays tacky. I think for ease of use I’ll go with plasti dip, which is £10 on Amazon with free delivery. Not too bad, I think I’m happy with that.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve had a good look around. The flexipaint seems like a decent product, but isn’t sprayable and you need to buy extra silicon to coat it as it stays tacky. I think for ease of use I’ll go with plasti dip, which is £10 on Amazon with free delivery. Not too bad, I think I’m happy with that.
True, the fact that it isn't spray able is a minus.
I didn't buy the silicon, I just painted and it got rid of the tack.

After some soul searching, I admitted to myself that my torso piece is too big. I shaved 3.5cm off the sides which helped a lot, but I won’t be redoing it any time soon so am forging ahead. Finally started the helmet build (lower face area below) after many false starts with resizing mistakes, which I’ve finally got the hang of! I think this will go quite quickly now.

C4607281-A35D-4A89-BB82-293F08A3E13A.jpeg

Well, plasti-dip is a bust - I only managed to do most of my shin pieces and a thin coat on the biceps, and it ran out! Absolutely out of the question financially. I'm going to go with the brush-on flexi-paint option instead! The last part of the costume (helmet) is done, photos as soon as I've sealed the odd gaps and stuff!

Dude, the quality of your work is impeccable. Very well done. I salute you, sir.
Can't wait till/ it'll be a shame when it's painted!

After some soul searching, I admitted to myself that my torso piece is too big. I shaved 3.5cm off the sides which helped a lot, but I won’t be redoing it any time soon so am forging ahead. Finally started the helmet build (lower face area below) after many false starts with resizing mistakes, which I’ve finally got the hang of! I think this will go quite quickly now.

View attachment 260497
haha it looks so good! but shen I first saw it I was unable to accept it to be the V and was sure that it was a version of cell from dragonball z or something. great work, can wait to see it all!

Good work.

Just a thought on your plastidip test... do you heat seal all your foam? If you don't then the foam pores eat up any kind of paint and will take more than expected. Also, cost wise the PVA glue method might suit you. That's the one I'm going to try next.

Good work.

Just a thought on your plastidip test... do you heat seal all your foam? If you don't then the foam pores eat up any kind of paint and will take more than expected. Also, cost wise the PVA glue method might suit you. That's the one I'm going to try next.

I did seal the foam; the can just didn't go very far. I'm not sure what the issue was, but the smell and toxicity were an issue - so I'm happy to use the brush-on flexi-paint anyway.

13049FF2-0831-4B6A-93EC-03285CCC6685.jpeg Well, much progress has been made. So I went with the flexi paint option. The result isn’t as smooth as I would hope, but I guess I’m impatient and various YouTube videos show it can be made smooth. So I’d recommend it to anyone with the patience to learn how to use it perfectly. It has no odour, cleans easily and is water soluble; very nice generally. When dry, it has a sticky tack which is a problem; a coat of spray paint or normal acrylic gets rid of it instantly. It will take around 1.5 cans of black to finish it, then I’m using satin red for the final coat. I didn’t use flexi paint on the insides of each piece, instead using 50/50 pva glue with acrylic. Most of the pieces so far are shown here. There’s still a lot to do and time is very short !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back