Halo build for my son

Status
Not open for further replies.

solorbob

Well, I'm a noob here to the forum, but I've been building things for a good while. My 9yr old want some Halo armor for halloween, so I'm off and running. I'll be updating as I go along. All I know as of now, is that he wants it painted black.

So far..
poked around on 405th - check
watched some youtube vids - check
downloaded Pepakura - check
I have the all in one file for Halo armor from the other thread - check
Scaled and printed out the helmet - check.

I'll start cutting tonight.. Not a bad first day

Welcome. Nice to see someone actually reading up on stuff instead of throwing his email around, asking people to send him the armour.

But I hope you don't let your 9 year old play a game where mean ugly aliens get infected by other mean ugly aliens and run around as mean ugly zombies! You know, rated M, for "Mean and ugly" :)

Welcome. Nice to see someone actually reading up on stuff instead of throwing his email around, asking people to send him the armour.

You know some noobs like my self just wanna learn how to use our 3d modeler to design our own,
now I know why many haven't sent me an email. lol...

Welcome to the 405th, solorbob. Your young'un is one lucky dude. Throw some pics up here once you are underway, we'd love to see them.

Thanks for the welcome all. He is really excited about it. I do have a quick question that I didn't see in my poking around. Is it better to cut all of the lines first and keep up with the pieces or cut and glue bit by bit? I started off with the cut them all out idea, but then I was thinking I might loose a piece somewhere along the way, so I'm doing the cut and glue thing.

That's completely your decision. I myself draw all the fold lines before cutting anything, then cut all the pieces out in one step. However, your bit-by-bit-method has the advantage that you can stop cutting if you see that your scale is wrong (which can be pretty early), without wasting any more time on the model. And it's less boring, of course :)

To prevent losses, put the pieces on stacks instead of laying them out like a puzzle. The best place to put them is a flat box, like the cover of a shoe box.

I prefer to cut and glue as I go along, makes the pieces easier to find, and they don't get dinged up or bent where they shouldn't. That is just what works for me.

hey good luck with the suit! I'm 2 leg pieces away from finishing my 8 year old daughters suit myself. It's such a challenge to pep pieces when they are half the size of a regular adult scale.

Good to have you on board, solorbob. Definitely good luck with the pepping.

I myself cut and glue, cut and glue, because I think it's easier. If your house is anything like mine, the little cut pieces aren't gonna stay put for very long... Anyway, that's my two bits. Good luck!

@Lig - I agree. I did cheat a bit and used my son's BMX full face helmet for some guide lines. I scaled the helm down to 70 which was just slightly bigger than the BMX helmet. I guess it will be trial and error on the rest of the pieces.

I found a box to store the pieces I had already cut. I must give all the builders on here props. This is not some easy stuff, or maybe mine is harder because I scaled the pieces down. The vents almost killed me...

lol, little minute work totally stinks. I don't like the little stuff. But it all works out in the end. And if it doesn't, it's just paper, you can do it again. Good idea with the helmet measurements, though. I should have done that...

keep us posted!

I'm a noob too. I'm a father of three and work full-time. I've been trying to finish up my boys Master Chief for the past 8 months. You need a lot of luck and time to finish it by Halloween. Here are some tips that I hope you find useful.

Cutting and Pasting - I find that cut and paste at the same time work best. The HD chest piece for example needs more than a thousand cuts. Cutting all at the same time will causes delay because you will be constantly hunting for the right piece. When you begin your cutting, you may want to cut extra space for area that will be folded and glued. Cut according to the line that will be visible. When you are ready to fold, use red and blue ball point pen. Draw a blue line on pieces that you need peak fold. Red line on valley fold. This will help in scoring lines and without losing orientation of peak/valley.

Resin and bondo - Unless you have a workspace/garage that is away from human civilization, you need to do most of your resin outdoor (resin fume kills!). If you live in a cold region, you may not be able to resin your pieces in October. Resin and Bondo will only set in a warmer temperature.

I originally thought of going HD for all armor. Since the armors that I am building are for 2 boys that are growing at an exceptional rate, it did not make sense for me to go all HD. My kids can only wear the armor for this year Halloween. After that the armor will go to museum. You may want to think if it is worth it to spend all those effort for a one-time use costume. Costume building is not cheap and it definitely will test your patience. Good luck!

I will post some pictures soon once the armors are done. I've posted some in my prior post. Look up my profile and some of the photos that I posted.

Hope this helps.

Is it better to cut all of the lines first and keep up with the pieces or cut and glue bit by bit?

I personally cut and score each piece then lay it out on the table, by sheets that I cut out, then I use the viewer because I like the way it shows where pieces fit together and go to work, usually starting in the middle of a piece and working my way out, left, right front, and back. and if there are areas that have a lot of small folds I suggest doing them first, as its a pain in the backside to do the small areas when you are working with a large project in my opinion.

Progress update. Day 1 and day 2 build photos. I've only had a few hours each night to work on the armor, but I feel pretty good about how far I've made it in a short time. I hope to have the helmet ready for resin by the end of the weekend.

Day 1

Day 2
photostream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back