HALO ODST Diorama - New Mombasa

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking sweet, have you considered using little bands of paper on motors to create something similar to how the screens "roll over" to the next picture in the game?

CollinMcCaf like in the game when the superintendent points you in the right direction. Mini lcd screens would be awesome for that but way more expensive i think. And lets not start about the programming.

So far all of it looks ace. So nicely detailed

CollinMcCaf like in the game when the superintendent points you in the right direction. Mini lcd screens would be awesome for that but way more expensive i think. And lets not start about the programming.

I was suggesting moreso along the lines of what old moving billboards did. Its basically a conveyor belt with an image printed on it.

This is looking sweet, have you considered using little bands of paper on motors to create something similar to how the screens "roll over" to the next picture in the game?
It would be great to do that but there is not much room inside what I make. And then it's a diorama, it represents a "frozen" scene :)

This is getting better and better as i watch it grow
Thanks !!

Yes, way more expensive !And you have to find a LCD screen of the right size, as well as it can be very complicated.
Thank you very much ! :)

The last element of the scenery ! I spent a lot of time making these things!
That's what I had to do :

Iokofie.jpg

Once again, I helped myself with my CNC.
ONYepNb.png

sunIYw7.png

I can start the assembly ! (I used MDF for large parts because it is much cheaper than PVC).
wDvZZsw.jpg

o0rSY4k.jpg

YGFI5cE.jpg

fUwefDs.jpg

The back was a little more complicated to do.
SNszNd8.jpg

I make the details with PCV 1mm thick to create relief.
2Tadkbp.jpg

d59ItrG.jpg

The manufacture of the trashcan's lid.
YYzP6eM.jpg

RtVh0xT.jpg

And I had to make a second one !! Here they are finally finished !!

AeJEdXr.jpg

jkRwU8P.jpg

C0aha4S.jpg

After I molded the miniature buildings for the hologram.

3B4pvYf.jpg

Ktt3X7j.jpg

w2YCsEw.jpg

WCNjlFX.jpg

I poured the transparent resin in, it only remains to wait 24 hours ...

Great technique for making the trees look that good! Well done. Looking forward to more.

Wow. Never thought I'd get so excited about a bin. As usual great work Tim. Can't wait to see it finished and painted. Love the little details.

It looks so good!!
Do you ever have to sand your things or are the cuts perfect right away?
Thanks !
It depends, sometimes there is no need and sometimes there is need. But most of the time I prefer putting some body filler and sanding so that the joints are perfect.

Great technique for making the trees look that good! Well done. Looking forward to more.
Thank you :)

Wow. Never thought I'd get so excited about a bin. As usual great work Tim. Can't wait to see it finished and painted. Love the little details.
Me too :) they were not easy to make but I'm happy with the time I spent on them because I like the result !

I apologize for this small lack of photos, I have made good progress, but I have not taken the time to post them on the Internet.

To tell you the truth : the scenery of the diorama is ready to be painted !! I finished the primer layer today !

That's what I've done since all this time :

- The doorway of the footbridge on the facade of the building : once again, to go faster I helped myself with my CNC.
C5oupe7.jpg

KzZ6AeV.jpg

0ZtRR7l.jpg

sgjpvRa.jpg

- The door of this entrance.
404Hg0k.jpg

i6B0PLT.jpg

7WE4m1T.jpg

- The transparent resin cast is finished.
sfg6AZy.jpg

- The facade is finished too.
9HaXtDj.jpg

Wcxa5yC.jpg

- The gluing of all the PVC sheets on the polystyrene walls.
bPYH6v5.jpg

THE RESULT !

The ground floor :
2acZPeg.jpg

Gw81hLZ.jpg

ifNwYq2.jpg

The 1st floor :
2A13Kjh.jpg

kS0aAy0.jpg

RD70NCh.jpg

The roof :
uCYLgbM.jpg

And once all assembled :
pAvzUre.jpg

cnr9KCW.jpg

NEXT STEP : THE PAINTING ! :D

Hello everyone :)

After all this time I come back ! A long absence but a justified absence. I have not abandoned the diorama, I will never do it, it is a project that is really close to my heart. But it's a project that is expensive and with my job I do not earn a lot of money. So to solve this problem, I spent a whole year making replicas of HALO Magnums : the M6D, the M6C and lately the M6G (and also a Star Wars DL-44 blaster). All this so that replica sales finance the diorama and I managed to put some money aside to resume work.

Now that my work on replicas is 95% complete (I still have the SOCOM attachment to do) the HALO ODST diorama will be my only project on which I will spend all my time.

The first and the second part are finished ! I will start the third part in a short time and in the meantime I will put the pictures of the end of the 2nd part.

In the meantime, I give you a little overview ;) These are the characters of the 2nd part.
s0L2luk.jpg

It's awesome you're still planning out and working on this project. It's definitely cool and your skill and patience is basically LASO. Looking forward to seeing more and for parts to get pulled together.

Welcome back! I really want to see this keep going!

Redshirt

It's awesome you're still planning out and working on this project. It's definitely cool and your skill and patience is basically LASO. Looking forward to seeing more and for parts to get pulled together.
Thanks :) I am very happy to get back on the diorama ! What means "LASO" ?

Welcome back! I really want to see this keep going!

Redshirt
Thank you ! :)

As promised, here are the pictures !

The bins are painted.
YSmTkBS.jpg

The plant tray is filled with plaster to make the soil.
40E34BC.jpg

I cover it with fake grass.
URc0waQ.jpg

I make my plants using plastic sheets coming from fake flowers.

And the result !
zbm2iEJ.jpg

The making of a wall of sandbag : I use a kind of modeling clay that hardens alone.
WvPd3wA.jpg

h8m26gp.jpg

JvwkZS9.jpg

wc5iLlv.jpg

The base coat.
4KQanot.jpg

I print decals that I put on the bags.
yJpwFAT.jpg

3BDxGHF.jpg

I wanted to add a weapon that we often meet in the game : the AIE-486H Heavy Machine Gun !
3D modeling for the body / feet of the machine gun and then everything else in expanded PVC.
KIg8IVo.jpg

HkkOrMC.jpg

c7zypql.jpg

2fauBrh.jpg

9NbRL2A.jpg

iA4XhLJ.jpg

bVxNxfa.jpg

With some paint !
zUzMoPn.jpg

Fj8Fe95.jpg

Glad to see you active again! I started developing ideas for my own little dioramas, your work definitely inspired me. I would love an exhibition with this touring around as Halo Outpost does.

Holy cow that stuff is pretty. LASO is short for legendary, all skulls on...Halo's high difficulty game mode which requires serious effort from the player.
Thanks ;)

Yesssss!!!! Your continued commitment to this project is inspiring!!

-Matt
And I intend to finish it !

Glad to see you active again! I started developing ideas for my own little dioramas, your work definitely inspired me. I would love an exhibition with this touring around as Halo Outpost does.
Thank you :)
What "kind" of diorama would you like to make ? From which game ?

Man, this is fantastic. Fair play for keeping this one going!
Thanks a lot :)

I showed you the making of the holographic table but I did not show you the final result, here it is :

I made the elements of the holographic table with expanded PVC.
OgJ2ZiF.jpg

Then I made silicone molds.
mtXGN4D.jpg

And I made casts in transparent resin (I'm a little disappointed because there are air bubbles, I do not have a degassing chamber)
2WlS2cw.jpg

A layer of transparent blue paint.
xlSoPuR.jpg

And here is the result once lit !
0bkMFc6.jpg

U0eRgo0.jpg

GamW1Xg.jpg

Now let's move on to the characters : as for the first part, they are made from polyurethane resin.
P2QGMHN.jpg

I redo each articulation to put them in the position I want.
GzVzjgd.jpg

For painting, I have a notebook where I noticed everything to facilitate my work and keep the same colors for the entire diorama.
zg8nyEN.jpg

For the Marines, only the green of the armor is made with an airbrush, all the rest is painted with a brush.
Ru2OxAI.jpg

XdS52k4.jpg

All the Marines are ready!
u4HjsRJ.jpg

wyjutDR.jpg

For the ODST, I use the airbrush for the gray of their armor and everything else is done with a brush. A lot of work because there are a lot of details !
8PNGZQ1.jpg

PFOwN7x.jpg

0w7ftfj.jpg

tzsM0ZD.jpg

yNGAGPA.jpg

It remains for me to show you the progress on the building and we go to the 3rd part :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back