Halo Reach Jorge Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks really good my man. I can't wait to start on my suit. I will definitely look to your build for inspiration. Great work my friend!

A scroll saw is what you're using? Hmmm.......I may have to look into one of those. It would be a new tool for my husband and something I can use! haha How long does a single blade last? I read that you had to buy some new blades. Does the blade last longer than an exacto knife?

I've used Scroll saws before, and I love them. They are incredibly useful. I would love to buy one, but I'm not sure I have the room for one.

Halogoddess, don't quote me on this, but I wouldn't worry about the blade sharpness. They're serrated and combined with the high oscillation speed, if using for foam, I don't imagine they would get dull anytime soon.

Great work so far on the Jorge suit! The backpack looks incredible. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

A scroll saw is what you're using? Hmmm.......I may have to look into one of those. It would be a new tool for my husband and something I can use! haha How long does a single blade last? I read that you had to buy some new blades. Does the blade last longer than an exacto knife?

As Spitfire22V said, the blades don't really dull. The reason I had to replace them so often was because I was using Harbor Freight blades that weren't of the best quality. After a while the vibrations of the saw itself would break the blades between teeth and make a surprising little popping sound. With better quality blades there wouldn't be any real problem on the foam. Also be sure to use the lowest speed of the saw and slowly push/pull your piece so as to not break the blades. It's a type of reciprocating saw so it only cuts on the down stroke and trying to cut too fast can not only break your blades and damage what you are cutting but also over-stress the motor of the saw and damage it as well.

Your Jorge is coming along great! Love the scroll saw idea, I'm still trying to learn how to use mine LOL!

The pack is done for the time being:
5807497955_f2b7b82c19.jpg

I need to finish my model of Jorge's chest armor before I close off the back so that it will interlock with the chest itself.
I'm also contemplating making one of the rear panels into a hatch so that I can store the battery packs for the lights/cooling fans on the suit.

I'll be coating with Plasti Dip and painting after I have the rest of the suit assembled.

Mmmm, yummy. D@mn fine job on it. I like the idea to turn a vulcan into the machine gun. Infact if you just painted it a bit I bet it would be passable as his gun right off the bat with no modifications besides the paint of course.

Mmmm, yummy. D@mn fine job on it. I like the idea to turn a vulcan into the machine gun. Infact if you just painted it a bit I bet it would be passable as his gun right off the bat with no modifications besides the paint of course.
...except the ammo box is on the wrong side. Meaning the entire reloading/firing mechanism is backwards.

Not trying to knock the idea, I had thought about doing it too. Especially when the color scheme matches Jorge's armor almost perfectly. I'm still going to get the Vulcan (and eventually the Stampede, when it goes on sale out here), for the sheer awesomeness of having a full-auto Nerf gun, if nothing else.

Not much of an update but I assembled one of the knees last night:
5812035018_2c5324bfe3.jpg

I've also decided to create a tutorial on using a scroll saw for foam builds as I know of at least one person that has been inspired enough by my build to buy a saw for their own work.
I should have it up by tomorrow morning.

All of the work on the backpack looks fantastic!! I'm looking forward to your tutorial on using a scroll saw. I can see where that would be a very beneficial tool to have when working with this particular material. Keep up the good work.

-Matt

Dude your jorge build is looking good. You and so many people here on the 405th inspire me and make me want to build lots of stuff. Ill be starting a project soon. Thanks for sharing your work. Keep it up! :)

This is such a beautifully put together build so far <3

You say you use EVA foam, do you just buy it online? I've been looking into some for COG armor and I'm not sure where to buy and what size/thickness to get.

Going with foam really makes the build go fast and impressed with your speed. That’s a great idea to cut it with a scroll saw I would’ve never thought of that. looking forward to more progress just one question how well does it hold up when you cut and glue the foam together ?

It's fairly sturdy, the flexibility of the foam adds to the strength of the piece rather than taking away from it.
I use hot glue which is also EVA based so it gets as near a molecular bond as you are likely to find.
I reinforce all of my seams with an extra line of glue along the back just to make sure it stays.

It's fairly sturdy, the flexibility of the foam adds to the strength of the piece rather than taking away from it.
I use hot glue which is also EVA based so it gets as near a molecular bond as you are likely to find.
I reinforce all of my seams with an extra line of glue along the back just to make sure it stays.

i love the work, compared to ur work my cardboard suit looks like **** :$

looks great dude!!! i never would have thought to use a scroll saw to cut foam....gonna have to dust mine off...do you need to use a different type of blade, or is it just a multi one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back