Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to go a little off the rails here but I just saw something while in Infinites multiplayer that made me very happy!
While this is not a spoiler in the sense of story, it is something Incredible that some may wish to witness first hand.

Started my first BTB game on the map Highpower which turns out to be a total control game. Cool.
About 3/4ths the way through I get blown out of a wasp and as the death cam pans up I see a beautiful UNSC frigate on station over the map.
Respawn and the first thing I look for is the frigate but thats not the first thing I see. There, across a valley is a CAS assault carrier. My jaw is dangling at this point, I find the frigate over my right shoulder.
A hint of blue from the frigates bow builds into a bright glare and I can see what is about to happen. Its MAC fires and I follow the streak of light to the CAS and see its shields ripple from the impact.

I was in awe the whole time, unintelligible sounds being made as I watched this unfold.
GG 343
GG

Halo ship lovers rejoice!
Saw that in a vid the other day and my jaw hit the floor at how magnificent it was. Even if the shot just dissolved on the shield it's a really nice action piece for the background. Gg indeed 343

Printing TPU successfully after 4 hours of trial and a whole lot of error. The solution was switching over to the TPU material option in CURA. I wish I'd done that when I started!

While I fix up a few things with this new filament and print one of those squishy octopuses, I'm left to wonder how awful it would be to print parts of the undersuit and attach them to a foam or fabric base.
I'll be curious to that as well. I'm loving the one that The Wardrobe Armory on Instagram made.

I was feeling nostalgic the other day and wanted to print the needler from Combat Evolved. This was my first introduction the the franchise, I remember watching my father play the second level of C.E. with a needler in hand. this memory is one of the most vivid I have and after looking for the classic model I found what I think is the original in all of its low poly glory.
Screenshot (54).png
I've begun adding more polygons and details that are just textures in game. I want to keep the barrel and little nubs on the bottom chunky as it reminds me of the good ol days and gives it more organic + mechanical vibe. Will there be lights and a tray to put a block of blamite into? maybe....

Screenshot (55).png

The needles are an edit of the Halo Reach .obj and are just a placeholder for the moment. Might go for a more simple shape like CE down the road and try casting them out of resin. What's left now is a bit more detailing along the top and under the handle. There are some textures that look like buttons or bolts and connections between each opening on the top almost like embedded wires.
Needler2.jpg

Everything is already separated into components, I will need to clean the connections up a little and add support pegs before printing.
Screenshot (56).png
There's an opening in the hand guard so I should be able to secure the handle to the top, lower that through the middle and then secure the bottom to everything.

Happy holidays everyone, I bring good tidings and information! bed leveling on my Ender-5 has been the biggest issue with the printer. Its limited the area I could comfortably print on and caused me to rely on rafts for most of my prints. Just got in a glass bed for it ( 235mm x 235mm, fits the Ender-3s too) and after running a leveling print test, I see that my print bed is warped! This explains why I could get perfect results on one side but never the other even after spending half an hour adjusting the nozzle height.

Look at this!
20211221_200931.jpg

.2mm layer height. Needs a little adjusting still to get the lines to melt together a bit more but its actually flat now! Unboxed the new surface, wiped it down with some isopropyl, set my Z axis home down a few mm and boom.

I've also learned that I set my slicer settings incorrectly and the printer isn't utilizing the whole bed.

901d3a97-4e38-4bf7-a27f-7661fa124471.png

Back in black
No action sack

Can you help me find my,
Fanny pack

Yes I, miss my teal
What's the deal

Still I keep hanging around

I can grapple to the sky
Sidekicks making me cry

Drop the ravager and let it die

I made platinum 4
No more

Sick of ranked let me find my own way

Hello!

Keeping up with the "I'm way behind on my projects" theme of this year, I'm way behind on pretty much everything! There's no rush of course but I didn't expect life to just say "No" to all this stuff I keep piling up.
Poured some super glue into the weak areas of my old plasma rifle so I can actually take it to cons and not worry about it breaking again, put a little more time into the CE needler today too. Added some cute little nubs to the sides and carved some details into the top, basically the minor details you can see in game that I was too OCD to leave out. Just need to clean up some of the interior geometry, add support peg slots, figure out how I want to do the little circuits and things around the handle, decide if its worth the headache and try to add lights.... and it'll be ready to print!

Found a new passion for lithophanes at the start of the year. Did some of my dogs and then did a 16 hour print to make a lamp! I took my phones wallpaper ( a nice piece of Tali fan art ) and let my printer go to work. The arts not that suggestive but its maybe too pinupy so I'll just show the top, just in case.
20220102_205131.jpg20220102_205154.jpg

20220208_203952.jpg20220208_204013.jpg

I spent a few years of good karma and landed a job working from home! So long retail management and hello home office! This is very exciting and will hopefully allow more time to work on my suit and props between shifts.

Hope y'all are well and happy crafting!

Welcome back! Congrats on the new job, hopefully it treats you well!! Say, I was scrolling through your thread, and saw that you are/were printing that DMR. I'm looking at the same files you're working with on thingiverse, and seeing your photos, well... that thing is HUGE! Did you print it at 100%?

Welcome back! Congrats on the new job, hopefully it treats you well!! Say, I was scrolling through your thread, and saw that you are/were printing that DMR. I'm looking at the same files you're working with on thingiverse, and seeing your photos, well... that thing is HUGE! Did you print it at 100%?
Thanks!

The DMR was done at 100! I wanted to do it scaled to the wiki in game size of 109mm. It is actually slightly larger than that at around 111mm now that it's all assembled. It's got 40 something sets of screws and nuts along with super glue holding it together. It's pretty sturdy but I wish there were support pegs mixed in with the screws.. Definitely had fun printing and solving all the problems I ran into assembling it.

Last edited:
With my focus being on the needler, I'm working on the scaling. The wiki puts its overall length at 57.8cm - 74.3cm depending on the variant. Pretty sure the smaller is the Halo 2/3 version and the larger would be the Reach onward one. I took the average of the two sizes for the CE one as it looks like it's somewhere in the middle and got a length of 66.05cm, imma just call that 66cm. That's... still very big...

20220216_203028.jpg
I re checked what I scaled my plasma rifle to and its about 86% of the cannon size, about 53.3cm (21inches). 86% of 66cm is 56.76cm(22.4inches rounded up) which is still big... but I know that scaling will look good in hand! The model I'm working with only needs a 2.89% boost and it's the right size. I'll save the next full scale prop for a Halo 3 beam rifle or fuel rod cannon.

And we're ready to print!
Screenshot (58).png

Assuming I measured correctly, I should be able to comfortably fit my hand into the hand guard and not worry about getting stuck. The guard area and barrel are going to be around 21 hours each to finish. Everything else should be 6-10 hours. Nothing too crazy going on here so here's hoping everything fits together nicely!

The back of the top ( totally the best way to describe this) section of the needler is about 80% done and I'm scared...20220219_222147.jpg
Definitely underestimated how massive this thing is going to be! It's also taking longer to print than I thought which is fine, I'm trying to do it as fast as possible so the longer prints will start early on a work day and run into the next morning when I'm not working. It's fine missing a few hours of sleep knowing I have nothing to do the next day!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, S225 here. Y'all can call me Nick, spartan 225, Cap'n K, whatever you like.

Today was my last day with my current employer. I spent almost six years between four different stores for a pet sales company that I will not name here. During my time at these stores I've seen, done, taught and learned quite a bit about animal husbandry, veterinary care and sales that I will likely take to my grave along with the scars I've earned. I've seen the good, bad and ugly that comes with darn near every job. There have been days that made me want to scream, days that have made me scream, days where I've been bit by every type of animal we sell (everything from fish to snakes) and a few days where I actually wanted to go in and work.

Made a lot of friends at my first store. Three of us had been hired at the same time into a failing location. This store was known in the entire district as "the store managers went to be fired" as it was in such disarray. The three of us split into the three sections of operation, stocking, petcare and cashier (this is where I started). Within the first year the store turned around. Items were stocked well, the pets were kept in perfect health and the checkout lines ran fast and efficiently. I took a promotion which I regret taking under the management at the time and eventually the three new kids on the block were training each other in our respective departments. New manager comes in, I get demoted, get my pay cut after previously being said that wouldn't happen even if I stepped down and I got to watch all of the work we put into the store go down the drain. We gain some new blood and lose some old, each time someone would leave we took them out for dinner and bowling. A happy little family. New management again comes in only this time she knows what she's doing. I get repromoted, my friend in petcare takes a promotion and we get things back on track. 2020 rolls around and I am offered another promotion at a different store. Gave this a few days to settle and said yes. My team would not suffer without me so I had no guilt transferring stores. I knew they could handle the pets and store functions as we had all helped each other cross train.

The past two years had been the worst experience I have ever had. No sense of family or even unity, people constantly butting heads just because. People going behind my back to bad mouth or undermine the new guy. You know how I delt with this? I was myself. I did my best to socialize and befriend everyone, even those who I knew despised me. Everyone got along with me after a while. I wanted to bring the store up to the same standards of my last one and help everyone mesh better. Everyone knew about my printing and suit. It made for a great discussion point and grew healthy conversation between a lot of my coworkers. But still everyone hated the store. I did too.

Today I spent my 14 mile trip home crying. The ladies in the salon had gotten me a lovely farewell card. One of my fellow leaders came in on her day off just to say goodbye and give me a coffee. All I heard was "Nick I'm so sad you're leaving but I'm happy for you". I had spent the past week or so printing little mementos for everyone. A puppy here, a dabbing stormtrooper there, I even did a lithophane or two. I didn't have the same feeling of confidence that the store functions would be kept up. I worry about the animals and happiness of my associates. A lot of them are debating leaving as well as they are not happy there. That's why I left. I wasn't happy. One of my leaders from my first store who i hadnt seen in two years came in and the first thing she said was "Nick you're gray" in reference to the amount of silver highlighting my temples. We laughed and remembered the crazy times we had. I said I'd stay in touch and promised to print her and her young son a cool shark as I know that's her favorite.

I thought I had failed this new store. For me, making people happy is a priority. This can be a curse as it's easy to forget yourself in between everything. Keeping my self happy. I think of my suit. One of the few things I've done for ME. My friends and family. Seeing them happy makes me happy. I know how much they appreciate me. And I know how much they want to see me being happy for me.

Yesterday I snapped. I started exclaiming "why cant y'all just pretend to get along" after a snarky, unwarranted comment from one associate to another. I saw that my happiness wasn't worth the cost of this job. Of trying to fix problems others don't want fixed. "I'm doing this for me". I felt greedy at first then quickly saw how taking care of yourself wasn't greed. It was good. I start my new job this Monday (pi day wooh). I'm working out of my own home for the first time with new people. I'm going to be helping people. I'm going to be helping myself. I will not miss my old company. I will miss most of my coworkers and I plan on visiting them to stay in touch.

Be good to others
Be good to yourself

Others may not follow but that's not your fault. Find what makes you happy. Find what makes others happy. Know how similar these ideas can be. And how different.

Don't forget yourself
Don't forget others

And others won't forget you.

Stay tuned for more halo related updates!

And thanks for making it this far. It's a relief to get this out.

S225

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back