Halo regiments by state or city

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of ranks. I agree that it would make people try harder.
I'm a noob in western Texas, El Paso area. PM me if your in the area.

As a former 501st member, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and voice against basing the 405th on the 501st. I'm gonna say right now that I'm gonna be as unbiased about it as possible, and know that I'm not speaking of everyone in the 501st here. Just speaking from what I know.

There are two reasons why I left the 501st: 1) the political atmosphere is extremely hostile and ego-driven, 2) a majority of the costumes do not actually fit their "professional quality" image. Let me explain why I think it's a bad idea.

Before the 501st had any major mention in LucasFilm media (books, comics, etc.), the internal politics were already pretty hairy. You had ego-driven "command staff" members getting into hissy fits with other members about duties and authority. Online back-stabbing was just one of the many things that happened on a regular basis. I mean every internet forum has it's problem causers, but sheesh - this is grown men playing dress-up and getting into fights about it. My personal garrison essentially split up because of a years-old dispute among the older members that didn't have anything to do with the newer members of that time. They'll deny it all they want, they'll say it was out of a mutual agreement/advantage, but there's no getting around it - the old "brass" hated each other and couldn't stand to be associated with one another on the internet. Petty little he-said she-said internet battles. And once LucasFilm started including them in their media, the egos within the 501st exploded and everything became about how big of a feather you have in your cap.

The other reason why I left is that I was the membership officer for my garrison. I was told to be a hardass. I was a hardass, but I wasn't mean about it or anything. If you didn't make the cut, you didn't make the cut. BUT I helped you get your stuff together. I pointed out the aspects of the costume that needed work, and I showed potential members where to get better, more accurate parts and whatnot. I was a hardass, but I tried to be the go-to man for getting in. The 501st says their professional quality, and I was there to make sure that was the case for my garrison. However, I'd estimate that at least 60% of the members that applied while I was there went around me and cried to the legion-level membership officer saying i was wrong. Or they got in from a buddy-buddy system that didn't involve me (or didn't involve the membership process at all). So they got sympathied into the 501st. As a result, the quality control went out the window. Now you have stormtroopers walking around in costumes that haven't had any heart and soul put into them. Just kit builds slapped together in a day or two. There ARE really good costumers in the 501st - lots of them. But the majority isn't pro-quality like they claim. They're subpar. And when you find a quality TK standing next to a subpar TK, the garrisons usually like the subpar one because the quality one sticks out like a sore thumb. Just look at the Rose parade - you can pick out the movie-quality stormtrooper costumes because they're so vastly different from the majority.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the organizational structure of the 501st, or their mission or anything like that. I'm all for it. What I'm voicing against is becoming an exclusive membership kind of thing, I'm voicing against the same kind of atmosphere as the 501st that boosts egos and creates harsh political atmospheres. What I like about the 405th as-is is that everyone here is supportive and definitely supports improving your skills and costume making abilities. The local pros can see eye-to-eye with members that don't have costumes at pro level. So organize! Rally! Just maybe not use the 501st as a model. If you're going to organize, be sure it's in a supportive, creative light.

Just my two cents.

I like the attitude here as it is.
Agreed. Members are friendly, there's a sharing of knowledge, members help each other out.
And on other hobby-driven forums, (Ex. Nerfhaven) members, especially veterans, are absolutely hostile. The newbies are shot down because of little mistakes, and so-called "masters" get away with anything and everything. I find it absolutely amazing that the lax attitude here is still going strong. the 405th founders should be proud;
This place is just amazing, the people are awesome, and thins is the best hobby ever!

torsoboy agreence

As a 501st member I have to fully agree with Torsoboy's statement. The structure is with its own faults. Trying to become a higher ranking member, it is pushed to have the most "SCREEN ACCURATE" costume around. It really takes it away from the make-it-yourself costumes and do your best. If it is not the quality that they are looking for you are not able to participate in the "organized events". It really excludes a lot of people.

With that being said once you decide to make your own costume you get into to groups.
The costume NAZI's and the every day JOE. It splits the groups up and makes it harder to sometimes even talk to some of the people.

I have the Joe mentality. I love enjoying costuming, and love having others costume with me. How ever even at 501st events I feel the cold shoulder from thoughs that feel that their costumes are better than mine and I get excluded from pictures and some activities.
I was at an event in stormtrooper attire and the "group" (for all intensive purposes) walked all the way to the other side of the event to take a group picture with the product that we where promoting. I would really hate to see that happen to the 405th.

As for the way you have it set up now. I think its great. If you are in the process and have armor made your a "MEMBER". and as for the rest of us trying to get our stuff together, we are "RECRUITS". I love it. Every one is nice and always more than happy to share any kind of information.

If you want a closer look at the rules that the 501st hold up to be a member let me know. I will see about sharing the rules and get back to any one that is interested (that is if I am allowed to share said information that people request. And I have to go through my own "Chain Of Command" to see if that is alright to do. Its that strict.)

Groups with-in states working together and with all the other states under 405th costuming group working together... that would be awesome. Its like having army bases in every state but costuming.

We could take over the world.

I'll write more when I have more time, but I'm also in the same mindset of Torsoboy, Scrap, etc. I had an opportunity to chat with the Waypoint folks a bit during SDCC, and one of the comments they made when I discussed about what direction the 405th would go in the future was that "if it isn't fun, it isn't worth doing". While I feel we should definitely work to highlight some of the extremely high quality projects, we should always embrace those up and coming new folks, all of which have incredible talent.

"if it isn't fun, it isn't worth doing"

Trying to pep by myself isn't fun, so it must not be worth doing. Lawl, jk. But seriously, i'll step up to be in charge of an Orlando area squad because I would like to meet you guys in costume IRL and have some shenanigans at gamestop and wal-mart and stuff. Oh, and we could all help each other out too.

I think there's a facebook group for Florida that Link is in charge of.

As for Montana...isn't that where Brokeback Mountain takes place?

I really don't like to get into the semantic arguments of what it means to form an official fan club, and a group of "joe's" who say they are a fan club, but I will digress for the sake of helping folks see the light.

Being a member of the 405th.com forums has made you part of a fan club of armor making folks. Nothing stops the forum members from forming local groups to get projects done. Everyone here in these forums is a fan club member, there is no admission requirement, and we do not deny membership to the forums based on costume quality. We don't stop members from getting together and going to events and participating together, in fact it is encouraged. The experienced folks co mingle with the inexperienced, people learn, better their craft, and hopefully don't stop short before they achieve a truly great piece of work.

Here is the twist in the story though.

Being officially recognized by the intellectual property rights owners (Microsoft, Bungie, Etc. means that we are representing their image. It would be in the best interest of the group, that if we wish to be officially recognized, we be as "screen accurate" or "cannon" as possible.

Just like a company expects employees to act in accordance with their rules and policies, the 405th Infantry Division would expect the same as well. Essentially the "Official Club" becomes a responsible entity, morally as well as legally, for those that participate under it's banner. Without exclusivity, there exists no defining characteristic with which to determine membership, and no "official status" would ever be given to the general public.

Anyone care to venture as to why we have been dragging our feet on starting the official fan club? One which we hope would be recognized when we have had the foundation written for more than a year? It is because the staff and moderators of the 405th.com/forums do care what people think and feel. We care about everyone here. We are human and care what people think of us, and we do our best to please as many people as possibly while protecting the general membership from those that wish to do it harm. We have no desire to hurt people's feelings. Forming this club and accepting members would, be the toughest thing that would come to the 405th. Try having to tell someone their costume doesn't quite "meet the cut" because it does not represent the intellectual property owner's vision of their brand, name, and image.

Let talk about hurt feelings. People are so full of pride here and you see it in the willingness to display projects even amongst criticism of quality or accuracy, just to say "look at what I did". I love that about this forum. People post varying degrees of completion, quality, accuracy, all without shame. They inspire themselves to better their own projects, and inspire other as well.

This is an excerpt from the "Official Charter" for the 405th Infantry Division. The charter is roughly a complete and cohesive document that was written of the course of a year, through many heated debates, by the staff and moderators. Yes, you read right, and official charter has been written. However, no, there is no official stand on the date in which it will be implemented.

"The 405th Infantry Division (hereafter referred to as The 405th) is a club of Halo fans dedicated to the customization, creation and support of Halo related costumes and props. The 405th celebrates the Halo universe through the wearing, and displaying of costumes and props, specifically those of the Spartan characters along with various other UNSC, Covenant, and background support characters. The 405th is a volunteer club formed for the express purpose of bringing together a community of costume enthusiasts and giving them a collective identity within which to operate. The 405th aims to celebrate the Halo games/novels/stories/future movies, etc. (hereafter referred to as the "Halo Universe") by promoting the quality and improvement of costumes and props, and most importantly, to create friends and unity among it's members. We the members of the 405th hold no rights to these characters and recognize it is a privilege and honor to wear and craft these costumes. We understand that the public may perceive us as representing the Halo Universe while in these costumes, or while identified as members of the 405th. While in public, we will present ourselves professionally and appropriately in order to respect the Halo property. This Charter serves to define what the 405th aspires to be and to define a set of guidelines for the successful operation of the 405th."

"Membership Requirements -The 405th is an equal opportunity volunteer fan club that celebrates it's diversity by welcoming members without discrimination of age, sex, race, sexual orientation, handicap, or religion. The membership requirements of the 405th are as follows. A member must be at least 18 years old, and posses the legal capacity to enter into a binding contract. The 405th claims no responsibility for minors at events that are hosted or attended by its members. By accepting membership to the 405th, a member agrees to uphold the rules and requirements as set forth in this Chartering document. Members are also required to personally own and be able to wear, a costume which meets the requirements as defined in Article II, Section C - Costume Approval Process. All members must realize that membership means personal responsibility in bearing their share of the financial burden of the local and national organization. Membership in the 405th prop-making forum does not imply membership in the 405th Infantry Division fan club."

I always liked Star Wars, but never wanted to join the 501st.

Honestly, I don't see a lot of complexity in the armor designs of the SW universe. Which I think is why the 501st started picking at petty, small details and structuring their "screen accurate" armor requirements harsher than the uniform standards I dealt with in the Marines, no thanks!

I had better things to do than measure a cod-piece, take a photo, and let a bunch of old dudes look at it. Forty times.

I agree with everyone that says this environment/forum rocks. It's not like a job, and in that respect it stays fun.

so we aren't gonna have a waiver or anything that the 501st has that allows minors(13-17) to join?

the waiver being the parent and child take responsibility

Because it was not stated in the excerpt you read above, this was not to say that there will or wont be such a provision. This is all hypothetical, as nothing is implemented at this time. For now, we exists as we always have, a forum of like minded people, who are fans of the Halo Universe, who express ourselves via props and costumes to celebrate our interests.

I really don't like to get into the semantic arguments of what it means to form an official fan club, and a group of "joe's" who say they are a fan club, but I will digress for the sake of helping folks see the light."[/I][/B]

GOOOO JOE'S!!!(had to) I really do appreciate this post. It shows that all of you have really put some time and LOTS of thought into the club.

...THANK YOU...

I think that the Canadian Division should be called the Nothern Rangers. Simply because as of now, we are fewer and more widespread than that of the US and UK (or so it seems), and when I think Ranger, I think solitary scout in wilderness, which would certainly apply to Canada.

So I'm representing that. :)

I am also willing to comply with the "member" and "recruit" nominations, and any sub-classes within them. While I don'y have a functional Halo-related suit, as I am a member of this forum, I most certainly would in the future. In regards to quality, I think that with time and patience, anyone can make a spectacular costume set.

(also, for some reason, I found reading this thread heartwarming. Hooray for community!)

AceNat: I think the three of us (you, Gixxer85 and me) can form the Pacific Command... LOL! :D

I agree on the forming of Divisions to help with the armor-making and gatherings/conventions. As with some of us, I've had some pretty rough days with the local 501st as well. So much so that I decided to join the Mandalorian Mercs (and got accepted into the Malaysia Book of Records, formed Malaysia's first clan, bla.. bla.. bla..). That said, I agree with torsoboy and others who prefer to keep this community as it is. A ranking system based on armor quality would be nice, though.

When I read the 405th Charter, I was overjoyed to read this: "dedicated to the customization, creation and support of Halo related costumes and props". You see, customization was what drove me to design and create my first suits almost 2 decades ago. It was also what got me into the Mercs, and eventually the 405th. I'm new here, but I'm really loving the warmth and support that I'm getting from members of the 405th. I hope this spirit can go on and make this community what it is. Just my two creds.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back