HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have the pep viewer version. Do you have to have the pep designer version to scale?

Yes. It's free unless you want the registration code which enables you to save. As long as you write down your numbers you should be fine though. That's what I do.

thank you very much.yeah i just made a ODST helmet and it doesn't fit, this was my first project. I'm new to all of this but i'm learning from my mistakes. The helmet is great so im gonna keep it even if it isn't wearable. Time for me to go download the designer. Thanks again

This was so useful! Thank you so much!!! As someone who is planning their very first suit, this came in quite handy. Just took all my measurements using this guide :D

wow this will help a lot this summer I am going to be building armor and I needed to learn how to scale this is awsome

This has been a helpful thread but since it was based on Mk 6 I was wondering if you can impart any tips from your experience with the Reach files.

This is incredibly helpful. I've been trying to figure out how to scale all day. This is the best tutorial I've found. Thanks!

it should work for anything, what you need to do is make sure you measure to where the part reaches on your body, so if a chest piece comes down to your waist instead of just your rib cage, then measure for that (Though shoulder width is a better measurement).

hey thanks a bunch HaloGoddess. I've been looking for info on all of this lately. :) Definitely makes this seem a lot easier.

Hi Halogoddess,

I'm pretty new to the forums, though I used to lurk a couple of years back. Firstly, awesome job with Kat. Scanned through the thread, so didn't really read the posts, but from what I gathered you've given up on it? Don't!

Secondly, I remember from my time as a grue that there was another, slightly more complex method of scaling? Something involving a full-scale picture of the desired model, then taking its height and the height of the piece you want to pep in order to get a ratio, then multiplying that by your own height to get the pep piece the right size for you (I've said it in a really long-winded way, but talking isn't my forte (don't judge, it's not John-117's either :p)).

Anyway I can't find that tut any more, was wondering whether it got deleted in favour of this one? Cos it seems to me like it'd be alot easier to mess this up, like by measuring your head at a bit of an angle or whatever. Also wondering if anyone remembers this other method, and whether I've got it right? I seem to remember it being used with a pic of an ODST as reference material, but I can't find it anywhere.

Either way, good job!

Asriel 119

Secondly, I remember from my time as a grue that there was another, slightly more complex method of scaling? Something involving a full-scale picture of the desired model, then taking its height and the height of the piece you want to pep in order to get a ratio, then multiplying that by your own height to get the pep piece the right size for you (I've said it in a really long-winded way, but talking isn't my forte (don't judge, it's not John-117's either :p)).

You mean this one: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2

It's based on cross-multiplication, if you know how that works, you can skip reading the tutorial. In my opinion, measuring each piece or body part separately is the better solution though.

Yeah, that's the one. The cross-multiplication isn't a problem for me. The problem is trying to find a picture of Carter-A259 in a neutral pose, like the one of the ODST in the thread you just linked. Tried Vanity, but it seems to me like the camera's pointing from somewhere near the Spartan's feet, because the head looks absolutely tiny. Any idea where I could find one? Tried looking for Carter reference pics on here and on Halo costuming wikia, but I couldn't find anything. Thinking of taking some screenshots or something, wondering whether that might work.

The Reach world premiere trailer has that I think. When the Spartans exit the building.

I know which scene you're talking about, but I'm finding it almost impossible to pause Youtube at the right bit. Either his full body isn't in shot, or he's blocked by Emile (f*ck you, Emile), or the screenshot's too small and dark to be of any real use.

Unless you can get a specific frame of the trailer? I'm not using any video editing tools, just trying to pause it as close as I can to the bit I want.

I suppose it doesn't need to be Carter himself for the basic armour, but for the attachments etc. I'd need a neutral full-body shot of a spartan wearing them (which, given their regular 'legs akimbo' stance, is difficult to find).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back