"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a question about putting the visor on the helmet. when i heat it with the heat gun, do i heat the inside of the visor? or the outside(gold)

How would you make pieces like the fore arms? ( i.e. Two pieces, one piece all together.) The other pieces that would be like that would be the thighs, shins, bicep and tricep areas, chest, and waist area. Need help.

How would you make pieces like the fore arms? ( i.e. Two pieces, one piece all together.) The other pieces that would be like that would be the thighs, shins, bicep and tricep areas, chest, and waist area. Need help.
Not exactly sure what you mean. But judging by your post count, you must be pretty new to the forum. check this guide out first, it might answer your question. if it doesn't, feel free to drop me a note. here's the guide: Intro Guide to the 405

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's asking how "tube" shaped armor pieces would be best attacked. Some people make them large enough to slip on, others make them as two seperate pieces. However, T117 is very correct, be sure you've leafed through all of the help topics we've got also, though this question might not be answered in them, we just want to be sure you've got the basics down, because this is a more complex question for someone further into their armor.

So is it better to make the "tube" or the two halves for the first? I am kinda thinking that the two halves will fit better. I'll look around but I have one more question: To do the halves, would I make the whole piece with the resin and then take a Dremel to it and cut it in halve? I am not sure what to do.

Which works better depends on you. The two halves will allow you to make the piece narrower, but it will involve a lot more work, as you need to cut it, and then remold the seam so they fit back together, and then mount connecting hardware.

Usually you want to cut it in half after rondo'ing. This ensures they will line up correctly when put back together, as just resin will risk it warping when you harden it.

Okay so do rondo and resin then cut in half. Got it. I take it that you would also paint it before cutting. Also, I can't find anything about strapping the pieces to the under suit. Can you put a link so I can learn how to do the strapping. If you could find it on YouTube that would be fantastic as I am more of a pictures/videos kinda guy. Can anyone explain what rondo is exactly? Thanks for the help.

okay, so rondo is your mixture of resin and bondo, 3/4 resin to 1/4 bondo. but if you would look into that guide I linked you to, you would find everything you need to know about strapping. first you resin the outside, rondo the inside, cut in half, find some way to reattach, fill out any lines and add details with a little BONDO, not rondo, then you paint, seal, and you are el finito.

can anyone please send me a link on ebay or amazon for a visor thats gold where u cant see in but i can see out of it. hopefully around $40

Hi guys. I'm usually more of a reader than a poster however I've got a question that I can't seem to find the answer to.....I've read through a whole bunch of things with regards to this BUT......I'm just past the fibreglassing stage now, yet I need to reinforce the ears AND attach them to the helmet. Can anyone recommend the best/ a good way to do this? I left the ears off as I've seen a few people do it that way, but they don't explain anything else after that.

A point in the right direction would be amazing as I am happy with this attempt and don't want to balls it up!!

Thanks
Jamie

Hi guys. I'm usually more of a reader than a poster however I've got a question that I can't seem to find the answer to.....I've read through a whole bunch of things with regards to this BUT......I'm just past the fibreglassing stage now, yet I need to reinforce the ears AND attach them to the helmet. Can anyone recommend the best/ a good way to do this? I left the ears off as I've seen a few people do it that way, but they don't explain anything else after that.

A point in the right direction would be amazing as I am happy with this attempt and don't want to balls it up!!

Thanks
Jamie

Ears?
can you be a little more specific

Padding

So, a simple question I have about padding would be the kind of glue that works best. I have read posts on preferred glue for the pepakura models, but never one on padding. I would imagine a glue gun would work best, but it is indeed best to know these things in advance!

P.S. Ears? What are you talking about, boyo?

Depends on the padding you're using.. Some of them come with their own adhesive built in.

But yeah, the old standby is the hot glue gun, that thing just sticks everything! Also you don't need to use adhesive, you could do velcro (which usually comes with its own adhesive), which would allow for removal since I'd imagine those pads will get funky after wearing them a while.

Re: Fitting problem

I think I've found a solution to my fitting problem. I found out that if you take the pep file like the MJOLNIR MK 5 bicep and make it a little bigger than your bicep and triceps area's circumference, you can fill in the gaps with foam padding. Then you glue the piece on the under suit, and all you would need to do is slip the under suit on and you don't need to worry about putting the armor in the same exact place every time you want to put on the suit! Would that work? :confused

All plastics have a... sort of "molding point" temperature. You heat it heat it heat it, and then once it hits a certain point you'll see it just relax and start to sag a bit. At this point, you shape it, and then dunk it in water or wait for it to cool, which holds the shape. If you approach this temperature too fast, you can start to screw with the metal in the tinting, which will cause it to turn white, so be very careful about it.

visor

hey sorry i have a lot of problems with visors. not my friend, anyways if u type in carter helmet on youtube the ones where its blue and black. does anyone know how to make that visor or is it sold like that? or is it just a motorcycle visor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back