"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Padding

Does anyone have some links for some padding links? I need some good examples to help me get the idea. I will be starting that step soon, and some links would be of great help!

^Answer

Go to Micheal's or Johann's and they usually have a corner in the store filled with foam. Cut out small pieces and glue them inside your armor. For the helmet, buy a motorcycle helmet and put in that padding. DO NOT put in the bottom padding in the helmet, because paper, fiberglass, and Bondo can't take your head trying to squeeze through. Trust me.

My question:
I decided I was not going to buy a 100$ compression suit for under armor, so I'm going to buy a 25$ morphsuit. Here's the thing. I want to use the morphsuit just how it is for other things, like doing the mannequin thing at Walmart in front of everybody, so I can't alter the suit to make it easier for strapping armor on.

What do I do?

^Answer

Go to Micheal's or Johann's and they usually have a corner in the store filled with foam. Cut out small pieces and glue them inside your armor. For the helmet, buy a motorcycle helmet and put in that padding. DO NOT put in the bottom padding in the helmet, because paper, fiberglass, and Bondo can't take your head trying to squeeze through. Trust me.

My question:
I decided I was not going to buy a 100$ compression suit for under armor, so I'm going to buy a 25$ morphsuit. Here's the thing. I want to use the morphsuit just how it is for other things, like doing the mannequin thing at Walmart in front of everybody, so I can't alter the suit to make it easier for strapping armor on.

What do I do?

You could base all the strapping around chest. Meaning you use the chest as a base, attach the biceps to the chest, forearms to biceps, etc... You may want to invest in something like an H harness just so your not putting a huge weight load on the chest piece.

You could base all the strapping around chest. Meaning you use the chest as a base, attach the biceps to the chest, forearms to biceps, etc... You may want to invest in something like an H harness just so your not putting a huge weight load on the chest piece.

Actually, I figured it out. Sorry for the hassle.

Okay so i am new here and want to start on a project making a set of armor. I wanted to know what types of materials to use and where to get them. I am going make the armor from different types from Halo: Reach.
Helmet: Hazop CNM-I. Sholder: EVA ChestPlate:Tactical/Recon Wrist:UA/Buckler Utility: Tactical/Hard Case Knee Guards: FJ/Para With a Blue visor if that matters.
Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Okay so i am new here and want to start on a project making a set of armor. I wanted to know what types of materials to use and where to get them. I am going make the armor from different types from Halo: Reach.
Helmet: Hazop CNM-I. Sholder: EVA ChestPlate:Tactical/Recon Wrist:UA/Buckler Utility: Tactical/Hard Case Knee Guards: FJ/Para With a Blue visor if that matters.
Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

ok, stick with me, I'll help you through the process. first check the bright green link out, it will give you a guide to everything you need to know. any other questions, give me a visitor message and I'll help you out. With that said, here's the guide: Intro Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I've always wanted to do this after iread about in the offical xbox magazine but i really didn't know where to start so thanks. Also I wanted to know how much the supplies for making the armor parts i chose will cost, and how much it will wheigh. And if you know how i want to include an armor ability since there is room for it in the armor. The jetpack would be proferable but it's propbally more comlicated and expensive to make so if not that one then drop shield thats my second favorite.

Thanks, I've always wanted to do this after iread about in the offical xbox magazine but i really didn't know where to start so thanks. Also I wanted to know how much the supplies for making the armor parts i chose will cost, and how much it will wheigh. And if you know how i want to include an armor ability since there is room for it in the armor. The jetpack would be proferable but it's propbally more comlicated and expensive to make so if not that one then drop shield thats my second favorite.
well, the cost of the supplies varies with how well you want your suit to look. but you should have to spend only about, eh 175-200 for a good looking suit. I've only spent about 100 on mine, maybe a lil more, but as you can see, it's a fairly cheap hobby. as for the ability, jetpack, I've only seen one on here, so if that's where you wanna go, I'd say go for it. But if not, then an armor ability pack, it's fairly simple to create. But hey, this particular forum is for costume assembling, so we should probably keep the rest of the convo to visitor messages. just click on my name, go to view my profile, and you can write on my wall there.

thanks again and also i wanted to say that I put down the wrong helmet on my list i want the operator instead it is pretty much the same as the hazop one though

DO NOT put in the bottom padding in the helmet, because paper, fiberglass, and Bondo can't take your head trying to squeeze through. Trust me.

Really? I did just that with my BGC helmet. Thick foam padding, and my helmet holds up fine. I've probably put it on over a hundred times since making it. you just have to plan for what kind of padding you plan to use and if there will be stressed involved.

It really depends on how you do it. I think his point is that the extra padding on the bottom of the helmet makes it a tighter squeeze for your big ol' noggin, and it really doesn't take much bending to damage a helmet (while strong, fiberglassed pieces are not supposed to bend, but rather stay ridged and conforming).

Now, I have a question:

What kind of supports do you guys use for split forearms (I plan to have my forearm pieces separated and connected by a hinge device. I'm asking for advice on the end opposite of the hinge). I have seen Spitfire22V make wooden dowels, and I have heard of simply having popsicle sticks, but do you have any other suggestions (since the piece is the forearm, buckles probably won't fit)?

maybe a buckle on the inside, but you really don't want it pressing on your skin 24/7, maybe some HDD magnets? maybe you could have a few pieces of leather flapping on the inside, with string stitched through so that you could tie it when you put your armor on.

I like the magnet idea. However, as I said, buckles wouldn't fit. What I may do is attach elastic straps with velcro, allowing me to open the piece just enough to undo the straps while being tight enough to stay on my arm.

Text instructions and diagrams aside, I'm still having trouble figuring out how to go about attaching armour pieces to each other / a bodysuit by hinge, buckles, velcro etc. I'm not too buckle savvy, as I don't manufacture backpacks or mount armour for a living... Are there really no video tuts for this sort of thing? I was unable to find any via thread search--all I found were helmet padding videos.

P.S.: If it helps any, I'm planning on making the Hayabusa armour and would like an idea of how to mount the finished product.

Not sure if this was brought up, but do normal MK VI pieces lay underneath the permutations? I wasn't sure about this because in some pictures it looks like the armor piece was removed and the permutation was used instead (example: top part of shoulders being replaced with permutation top shoulders)

This has probably been answered a thousand times but, here it is.

So i made my second pepakura helmet and its the perfect size. but that is after i put and glued it all together. My main concern is that it fit perfectly but now my head cant fit through the neck hole to put it on :/ are there any ways to fix this without cutting the helmet? like maybe hinges?

Noob Question: I've been searching Grand & Toy aswell as Staples here in Canada....is there another name for Card Stock? I find the stuff for making business cards, but not 8 1/2"x11" and titled Card Stock. I'm trying to plan in advance before getting into the nitty gritty, cursing and swearing as I painfully start my venture on making my 1st set of Halo Armor. Figured Next month is a good time to start to be able to finish the suit by May next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back