"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK i am having trouble getting the wood glue method to work for me. It is always warping my small scale tests not a lot but enough to make me nervous about doing it on my actual helmet. I have a few ideas such as first using paper mache on the inside so it does not warp as much and then using the wood glue but i am still not sure exactly what to do

Hey guys,
I have a couple of questions for those who know much more than I do.
First of all,I would like to ask about this fiberglass resin that I saw on Amazon.com.
It is made by the called Bondo,(who makes bondo;)),Bondo/dynatron 402 Fiberglass Resins,
is the title. So I thought maybe it would be worth looking into.

Second of all;the bondo itself. I saw Bondo body filler,Bondo-Glass,and Bondo repair kit. I'm not to sure which one to use based on my situation.
In my signature,you can see the helmet currently on pg.2.

Thank you very much.:):):)

Well, im fairly new to the pepakure scene myself, but I have done work with bondo and fiberglass and all that fun stuff. I use bondo body filler for my work and I believe I read somewhere that the bondo fiberglass resin should work fine as well. I could be wrong though, so if I am someone who knows more than me, please feel free to correct me.

First of all,I would like to ask about this fiberglass resin that I saw on Amazon.com.
It is made by the called Bondo,(who makes bondo;)),Bondo/dynatron 402 Fiberglass Resins,
is the title. So I thought maybe it would be worth looking into.

Second of all;the bondo itself. I saw Bondo body filler,Bondo-Glass,and Bondo repair kit. I'm not to sure which one to use based on my situation.
In my signature,you can see the helmet currently on pg.2.

Yes, you can (theoretically, see next paragraph) use that, a lot of people here do. Or the ones who live in the US at least, the usual recommendation for buying it is "go to Wal-Mart". No idea why it says dynatron, Bondo is a 3M brand.

What's going to be a problem are the tape and possibly the plastic parts on your helmet. Polyester resin contains styrene, and a lot of materials (Including yourself! Mind the necessary safety precautions!) don't react to that too well - the adhesive on your tape for example.

Bondo glass contains glass fibres, which has both advantages and disadvantages. If you want to use it as Rondo, the fibres will result in more strength. They also make it harder to sand though, so if you want to use it for detail work, the one without fibres is better.

The repair kit probably contains fibreglass mat and a few cheap "tools" (mixing stick etc.). That's good if you have never dealt with this stuff and don't plan on ever doing it again, but want to quickly fix up those bullet holes in your truck - but in your case, you're better off going with the separate products. You'll most likely end up buying packs of a hundred of all those small parts from the kit anyway.

OK i have found some resin 3M resin fiberglassing resin but the details on it are a little vague does anyone know i'm trying to avoid anything toxic. I have tried using methods like the hot glue method and wood glue method on small scale things such as boxes but those have warped and i am not confident on doing them full scale. I am trying to find something that has the least probability of warping but i still want my helmet to be strong.

So is there any kind of resin that is non toxic and wont warp things very easily?

So is all 3m resin bondo brand resin? because the resin I have and use for my other projects just says 3m on it.
Thanks!

I have no idea, they own more brands than I can count, sometimes even brands that are so well-known that nobody associates them with any other company.

So is there any kind of resin that is non toxic and wont warp things very easily?

Since they are all wet, they can all warp your stuff. Make sure to use heavy cardstock, put in support struts (and do it in a way that actually prevents distortion!) and resin bit by bit.

That fibreglass resin you found is polyester resin. You should be able to find a MSDS if you use Google (for any other chemicals as well), and that is definitely not "vague".

The only resin that is completely harmless is Aqua Resin.

Hey I have a question. I'm building a Fallout New Vegas, NCR Veteran ranger helmet. I have used the Pep program to paper-craft it, used styrene instead of cardstock, Works great by the way, and I have fiberglass and sanded it down inside and out. Is there anykind of like paint and chemical I apply to the inside so I wont be breathing in the fiberglass sanding? I have blowing it out with my compressor and I have a spray on clear coat for interior and exterior paint. I don't like the smell! So if anyone could get back to me as soon as possible that be great.

I was just wondering, with most of the memebers here making or buying casts for everything. Is it safe to use your original master set of armour or does all that bondo and resin make it hazardous even after all has been painted?

I was just wondering, with most of the memebers here making or buying casts for everything. Is it safe to use your original master set of armour or does all that bondo and resin make it hazardous even after all has been painted?

I wouldnt say its hazardous (if its had a while to air out) , But im pretty sure the bondo on said armor might crack or break off if dropped. And you wouldnt have that problem with a pulled set of armor.

Another Question.

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I'm planning on doing this again,(Plenty more.;)).
What about Evercoat 498 Fiberglass Resin? Is that a little more safe for the materials?
(And my self,Heheh) Thank you so much.:)

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. I'm planning on doing this again,(Plenty more.;)).
What about Evercoat 498 Fiberglass Resin? Is that a little more safe for the materials?
(And my self,Heheh) Thank you so much.:)

Polyester resin is always polyester resin, it doesn't matter which brand you choose (neither safety-wise, nor regarding the plastic and tape on your model). If you want something non-toxic, use Aqua Resin. If you want something that doesn't eat away plastic, check out solvent free products (epoxies, polyurethanes, Aqua Resin as well), they should work I think.

Make sure to read the MSDS of any chemical you want to use and to understand how it works, how the associated safety precautions work and why they are necessary.

Polyester resin is always polyester resin, it doesn't matter which brand you choose (neither safety-wise, nor regarding the plastic and tape on your model). If you want something non-toxic, use Aqua Resin. If you want something that doesn't eat away plastic, check out solvent free products (epoxies, polyurethanes, Aqua Resin as well), they should work I think.

Make sure to read the MSDS of any chemical you want to use and to understand how it works, how the associated safety precautions work and why they are necessary.

Aqua Resin, eh? I think I just found what I'll be using to coat my build...

Hi Shock\Trooper-2148 here. I've got a question that I just need to know in advance before I proceed. I want to strengthen the piece, but I don't want to use Fiberglass and Resin. Instead, I want to use a mixture of Resin and Bondo; also known as Rondo to others. I've been researching how to make the mixture, but here's my question: How strengthened will the piece be compared to Fiberglass and Resin? Is it good to do a little bit of both? Also don't need to worry, I'm not just using Rondo alone to fully strengthen the piece.

While I've never personally gone the Rondo method route, I do feel like I've picked up enough information from others to answer. If someone else wants to chime in, please feel free to correct me.

How strengthened will the piece be compared to Fiberglass and Resin?
Depending on the thickness of the layer of Rondo, the piece should be just as strong as fiberglass. Maybe a little heavier and more brittle, but strong enough to move on to final detailing and have a hard helmet.

Is it good to do a little bit of both?
It can't hurt. I've seen some people layer Rondo with fiberglass, but when I see people use Rondo, they usually only use Rondo on it's own.

Also don't need to worry, I'm not just using Rondo alone to fully strengthen the piece.
Why not? That's perfectly doable. Rondo, and you're finished hardening and ready for Bondo, detailing, paint, etc.

Well, I used Rondo one time by itself. I dropped the helmet and it split down the middle (I was able to save it though). Now, when I pep, I do a layer of Rondo, Layer of Fiberglass, Then a final layer of Rondo. It makes my helmet super heavy though (But Tough). However, I molded my last helm, so it didn't matter. The point is, if you're going to use just Rondo, even though it is strong, it is brittle too. So, be careful not to drop it.

The point is, if you're going to use just Rondo, even though it is strong, it is brittle too. So, be careful not to drop it.

I suppose you could counter the brittleness by using a filler that contains fibres or by adding loose fibres to the mix separately. That would result in something that is somewhere between plain Rondo, and properly fibreglassed Rondo strength-wise.

Rondo,whats the mixtue? i know its Bando and Resin mixed but is it also the red stuff for bando and then the hardener for resin mixed or just one or the other? also is there a vid thats somewhere in the 405th that shows how its done?

Rondo,whats the mixtue? i know its Bando and Resin mixed but is it also the red stuff for bando and then the hardener for resin mixed or just one or the other? also is there a vid thats somewhere in the 405th that shows how its done?

It's mixed to whatever consistency you want. You can add a little or a lot of Resin to the Bondo. It just depends on how thin you want the Rondo.

Ben Streeper has one. I don't have a link at hand, but here's his Youtube channel, you'll find it in there somewhere: http://www.youtube.com/user/iceagonakilya

Also, it's "Bondo", not "Bando". Spelling it right will help you while searching ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back