"Help!" for: Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if they know the answer, they should share it with people who don't.
They did. Quite likely several times and in several threads. It takes you more time to type out your demanding posts than it would take to type "weathering technique" in the search bar, and just as long to read and comprehend the results as it would take to read whatever answers anyone chose to post in response to your post, minus however long it takes for anyone to actually decide to post anything at all. I mean you posted on the 7th. As of typing this message right now it's nearly midnight Eastern Time on the 9th. Roughly two days. Now I know I'm not fully aware of your daily schedule, but I'm sure in those two days you've had plenty enough time to use the search bar, as you've found ample enough time to complain about people not dumping the sum total of all of THEIR time and THEIR research in your lap at the snap of your fingers.

Seriously, use the search bar. It's there for a reason. Don't want to look through "30 pages" (it's now at 17 pages, not 30, if you have 30 pages then you've set your post-per-page count rather low), then click the little link that says "search thread" and narrow it down so you only have to see the posts that fit what you're looking for (i.e. "weathering"). No one is here to just hand you everything, especially not something that has already been discussed several times. Fairly sure there are at least a couple video tutorials if you'd actually put in ANY effort to look.

You see, this here "help" thread, and the others like it, are for the questions people have that they CAN'T find anywhere on the forums (or elsewhere on the net). They're not here for those who choose not to even try to find an answer. You said you'd rather spend time building than staring at a screen. Newsflash: we would ALL much rather be building than researching. But we have all learned to just suck up and DEAL with life's little disappointments. You want to do it, and do it right? Then you're going to have to put in the effort to learn how one way or the other. Be thankful for the bountiful resources of information that are available here: the people who put it there had to figure it out on their own and waste a much greater amount of time (not to mention money and materials) to learn the techniques that have been collected here in the various forums. Again, it takes significantly less time to just do the research yourself than it takes to keep demanding others do all the work for you. Heck in the time it takes you to read one of my posts you probably could have done the forum search, isolated a few dozen potential source threads, and searched those threads for any and all relevant information and already be back to your workshop with the information you asked for two days ago (which should give you some idea of how much more you would have accomplished had you done so when it was first suggested two days ago instead of standing there with an open palm and tapping foot, grunting "gimme gimme gimme").

In the opening post it says: "People who don't know, ask questions. People who do know, answer questions."

If you don't want to answer questions, then don't reply.

I didn't know the answer and wanted to know the answer before I detail my armor that took 200 hours and $200 to make

Also, why does everyone think I am ungrateful for the people who spent time and money figuring out how to do all this? Did I say something like that?

People think you're ungrateful because you open with "I have better things to do", and "if they know the answer they should shair[sic] it", and "it is also carpathia's job to help out noobs" and "can I be given a link", "If you don't want to answer questions, then don't reply."

The problem is that weathering is a complex, 'broad topic' that includes a variety of actual topics, and not something that is just common knowledge. Weathering involves a high degree of skill, and there are a variety of things involved. It's like asking "How do I make armor?", where it's such a broad spectrum topic with so many different routes to go that you need a general idea of what you want to do first. The fact that you don't seem to grasp that, and treat it like it is a one sentence answer shows that you didn't perform some basic google researching which isn't hard. I know you're saying "Well why couldn't YOU, veteran do the google and just give me the link to the best one?" The answer is that our time is ours to spend how we like, and this is a DIY forum, so the general mentality is that you should try and do it yourself BEFORE you ask questions. I don't mean that you need to go and paint your armor and ruin it and then ask questions - just that you should do the research to the point where you have specific questions, because "How to weather" is not a question that is specific or can be answered in one page.

People try to be helpful, especially in the HELP threads, but when asking those people to take time out of THEIR day to help you there needs to be a little bit of politeness in how a question is asked. Saying we SHOULD help you, or implying that your time is more valuable than ours, or asking others to perform very basic tasks (Looking up a link - we don't memorize where pages are, so we'd do the exact same searching for a link you would do). Those all show disrespect to people who are trying to help, and that comes off as ungrateful

In the other threads you've asked actual questions with no fluff or pomp and gotten fast to the point replies. The fact that the response to your question here was far more negative should tell you that the way you asked it (and the subsequent way you reacted to the negative feedback) was flawed. It's probably best to just let the issue drop at this point.

The blackwashing question is an actual question: No, blackwashing is not the same thing as weathering. It's one aspect of it and is used to achieve the effect of darkening the depressed areas of a piece to accent the lines. A few topics to look into: Dry brushing, Black Washing (read about what effect it gives, look at pictures so you can see how it is and is not related to weathering), the toothpaste 'chipped paint' effect, scaring, adding bullet holes, adding dirt effects.. Those are some of the topics under 'weathering' off the top of my head. Each one accomplishes a different effect, and some people may want worn paint but not battle damage, or one might want battle damage and dirty looking, so there is a high degree of personal preference in this as well. You could also google "how to weather paint" or something.

Also, if you need to add to a post, it's better to edit the previous post than double-post, even in sticky threads.

Plus the simple fact that your question has most likely already been asked, and answered, at least once before, and rather than even saying "I couldn't find it" you come out with "I have better things to do than waste my precious time looking for the answer." You're not the first person to come here. Obviously. You're not the first person to ask about weathering techniques, which also would be obvious had you bothered to look. At all. But you've made it fairly clear that you have not, and will not, bother to look. At all. You want things handed to you, and instead of taking anything that anyone is saying to heart, you insist on standing there, snapping your fingers, demanding people hand you everything on silver platter.

As Katsu put it so accurately, this is a "do it yourself" community. By its very nature that means you have to put some effort in of your own beyond just the "fun" part of actually building, painting, and wearing the armor. Again, we would all love to have nothing better to do than sit around building an armory of our favorite pieces, but that's not reality. And those who are making progress on their armor and getting help with their questions are the ones who have searched high and low and yes, even made a few attempts of their own before ever posting in the help threads. They've voiced what they intend to do, or what they've already tried to do, and asked for feedback, tips, and other such information. Again referring back to Katsu's post, you'll get much farther and much better results if you put in an effort, at least as much of an effort as it takes to ask more specific questions and give some details about what you're trying for. You haven't even bothered to clarify whether you're looking for "scuffed paint" weathering, "black wash" weathering, "high point" weathering, "fade" weathering, "battle damage" weathering, "burn/plasma" weathering...there are so many different types of weathering, each of which (again as Katsu mentioned) has several different techniques and approaches. So basically what you're asking isn't as simple as "what do I do," you're basically asking people to put their lives on hold so custom cater the perfect method for you, without giving them any information on what kind of method you're even looking for. Sponges, bristle brushes, sponge brushes, air brushes, spray cans, the list of potential materials alone can be vast.

And let's not forget that you've already been given an answer as to how weathering can be done (not the only way, but at least one way), and rather than show any gratitude for that or asking specific questions about that method to better understand it, you just complain that you don't get it and go right back to demanding someone drop something in your lap.

And yet again, you could probably have found all the answers you want, quite likely every last post on the forum that even mentions any kind of weathering, in half the time you've spent whining about people not repeating themselves for the umpteenth time at the snap of your fingers.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about it, but seriously, what does it take to get the message through that everything you need is already here, you just have to LOOK.

First off, I would like to apologize for being demanding and rude. Thank you for showing me how I was offending people. I will try to be more humble in the future.

I didn't know that their were so many weathering terms. I was thinking more about making it look dirty. Like as if I crawled through mud in it. I already made it very battle damaged with a wood-burning tool and it looks too clean. Thanks for your time!

Dirty weathering you could either do with an airbrush or... err I prefer airbrush for that application. By doing different types of mixtures you can get interesting effects like speckling or a natural fade of brown. Also, blackwashing would be very beneficial if you do it right, as it can give a "rougher" look to the piece.

pistol13.jpg

31%20final.jpg

Those are two that I did a little dirty weathering to. A blackwash on the pistol, and scorching on the Y-Wing. I went a bit overboard on the y-wing, but I had just bought my airbrush and was excited to use it.
On the pistol you can see it has an uneven "shadowing" going on that makes it look like more worn metal, it started out as solid silver and a bit bright before the blackwash but I didn't photograph that.

They're not GREAT paint jobs, but they may give you some more direction

However, airbrushing would be two dimensional. If you want grit and the like, you'd probably need to look into something else.

This is someone else's build that has some washing and airbrush effects on it:
http://www.splashdamage.com/blog/1016/photo-blog-creating-dirty-bomb-nerf-gun#.UoCOGBvTn4Y

From what I can see, they did a black wash, and then did a dark spray around the vents.

Airbrushes can be expensive ( an airbrush, hosing, paints and an air pump.. 50-100 on the low end, 100-300 on the mid range ), but they're like dremels where they can prove themselves to be invaluable if you intend to do a lot of this stuff. Otherwise, a paintbrush and a lot of careful skill and patience.

Not that great? I think the look amazing!

So would paintbrushing then spreading it out with a sponge work? Also, are their any specific methods on how to make it look natural? Thanks in advance!

For a flash burn look, try using some "crackle" finish paint (available at most craft stores). It gives a interesting blistered look and, with a little weathering previously described, it can look very realistic.

For a flash burn look, try using some "crackle" finish paint (available at most craft stores). It gives a interesting blistered look and, with a little weathering previously described, it can look very realistic.

Do you have any pictures of this method? I'm curious to see what this would look like. My only experience with any kind of crackle paint was seeing my wife's crackle nail polish (similar to the crackle paint I think); and I can't see how that would make for convincing weathering.

I'll see if I have any photos. This was on a costume I made a couple of years ago that incorporated a small area that had a burned wood look. Unfortunately the costume is long gone as is my Acer computer (dead with a drive failure). The crackle made the surrounding paint look blistered from the heat. If I cannot find a photo, I'll dig up some scraps and see if I can duplicate it.

First off, I would like to apologize for being demanding and rude. Thank you for showing me how I was offending people. I will try to be more humble in the future.

I didn't know that their were so many weathering terms. I was thinking more about making it look dirty. Like as if I crawled through mud in it. I already made it very battle damaged with a wood-burning tool and it looks too clean. Thanks for your time!
A possible method would be to apply the preferred color of paint (black, brown, etc.), and then give a a quick wipe with a paper towel or scrap of cloth. Not a "cleaning" wipe so much as a "smearing" wipe. How much you apply (whether brushed on or sprayed on) depends on how "dirty" you want it to look. If you want it to look like a lot of mud, dirt, or grime is caked on there, it might be a good idea to consider applying a textured paint first to build up a bit more grit and volume. Still best to test on a scrap piece to get your technique down.

Another method would be to use a brush (bristle is probably better than sponge), get a little paint on it, wipe it off as much as possible, then lightly brush it over the piece you're working on. This is best for if you just want it to look slightly dirty.

If you're going for "mud splattered" like you were standing too close to a mongoose or warthog as it went through the mud, grab a bristle brush, get paint on it, and then "fling" the paint at the piece using a flicking motion in the wrist without actually touching the brush to the piece.

Alternating with a few shades of brown and tan will give it a more natural look than just using one color, as dirt isn't usually uniform in color and consistency.

If you're going for "mud splattered" like you were standing too close to a mongoose or warthog as it went through the mud, grab a bristle brush, get paint on it, and then "fling" the paint at the piece using a flicking motion in the wrist without actually touching the brush to the piece.

There's a part in the making of We Are ODST where the artist painting the ODST suit did just that. He had a paint brush with the armor mounted to a mannequin in front of him and swiped his hand across the ODST chest piece, flinging dark brown paint across the front. You can see it at 1:42 here...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Brute Spiker Kit thread I saw recently used pretty much the same technique to add "blood splatter" to the blades. This is definitely a versatile technique to have in your repertoire, but it does take a bit of practice to learn how much paint to have on the brush and what motion to use to get the desired effect. As with many, many techniques out there, practice, practice, practice. Even just getting an old sheet of plywood or pick up a bunch of poster board at the dollar store, hang it up, and experiment to find what works best for what you want to do with it. Heck of a lot cheaper, and easier, than flinging paint at a finished piece and having to clean it all off again if it doesn't come out right.

Fling and smooth with a towel? Or just fling?

I find it interesting that Bungie didn't use a more complex technique. It must be effective if they prefer it over other more complex methods.

Fling and smooth with a towel? Or just fling?

That one's for you to decide for yourself to determine which method gives you a result you're satisfied with.

I know you do tend to prefer a cut and dry "do this, then this, and then this" step by step detailed instruction, but experimenting with new techniques and how they can yield different results is part of the "fun bit" just as much as the build itself, and because of the rather unpredictable nature of the process, short of someone breaking it down to "apply .482 fluid ounces of paint to the brush, hold your wrist at a 35 degree angle, sweep upwards at a precise 47.39 degree angle at exactly 72 mm per second with a 1/4 twist exactly 2/3 of the way through the motion...etc., etc., etc." each attempt is going to come out different and yield different results. It's something you kind of have to play with a bit to figure out which range of motions and wiping/smearing technique gives you something you can stand back and say "yep, that's it right there."

But, to narrow it down a little, flinging will most likely give you streaks, small blobs, and random splatter, what you might expect from being behind a tire as it kicks up dirt and mud, or being too close when something hits the ground with a lot of impact and, well, flings crud everywhere.

On the other hand, flinging and wiping (or brushing and wiping) will give more of the result you mentioned, looking like the piece was dragged through the mud, whether crawling or getting thrown to the ground. Also note that what you use to wipe/smear the paint will also affect how it looks. A cloth will take off more paint than a paper towel, which will take off more paint than, say, a piece of crumpled up paper. How hard you wipe and whether you wipe it off or just smear it will also dramatically change how it looks.

In the end it does come back around to experimenting and finding what works best for you. It's not building a suit, but it's not staring at a screen, either. And a lot of these techniques aren't taught so much as discovered, as everyone's approach will be slightly different depending not only on available materials, but in a cast like this even the differing motions that come from different body types will factor in.

I'll do some experimenting, then.
I should try a crud load of techniques. Maybe I can find a better method.

EDIT: After some experimentation, I found out that acrylic paint doesn't fling. I then improvised and slathered my piece in brown paint and then wipe it off with a paper towel. It now looks like it has been used lightly and is dusty.

I also found a pretty good technique for making battle damage dents look epic. You first fill in the dent with a sloppy coat of flat black latex paint, then, after the black paint drys, cover it in a heavy coat metallic silver acrylic paint and then try to wipe out all the paint with a paper towel. Repeat until it looks slightly metal-ish.

I'll do some experimenting, then.
I should try a crud load of techniques. Maybe I can find a better method.

EDIT: After some experimentation, I found out that acrylic paint doesn't fling. I then improvised and slathered my piece in brown paint and then wipe it off with a paper towel. It now looks like it has been used lightly and is dusty.

I also found a pretty good technique for making battle damage dents look epic. You first fill in the dent with a sloppy coat of flat black latex paint, then, after the black paint drys, cover it in a heavy coat metallic silver acrylic paint and then try to wipe out all the paint with a paper towel. Repeat until it looks slightly metal-ish.

Acrylic paint DOES fling. Make sure your paint brush is wet, get a good amount of paint on it, but don't leave a big glob on it and wipe off some off the excess, dip it in some more water and fling away! lol That is how I did my Kat costume.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back