"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im pretty new to this myself but the program you need is Pepakura designer, <--- Direct Link, this will allow you to import various 3d files 3ds max etc I tend to use .Obj files exported out of 3D Maya
then it's a case of slicing up your file in designer onto as fewer pieces of paper as possible and Exporting out to a .pdo file NOTE you will have to pay for a regestration code in order to save a .pdo file but the actual workings out I believe you can do for free,

also from that site download the Pepakurs viewer this shows your assembled model to the Left of the screen and your flattened unwrapped version to the Right the viewer shows what part belongs where and what edge should be bonded where,

look up a few youtube tutorials the one in the link is a prety in depth one which is what I did to give me a better insight.

Good luck with your endevers!

Hi my name is Lucky Rook and I was wondering if I should also cut to thin parts on my ODST helmet even though the over lap.

I looked around and I saw that you cut the chestpiece after hardening it. is taht before fiberglass or after?

I looked around and I saw that you cut the chestpiece after hardening it. is taht before fiberglass or after?

Leaving it as late in the construction process as you can will help ensure that the pieces line up correctly with each other when you cut them apart. I cut mine after applying the auto-body filler ("Bondo") and sanding, but before painting.

Hello all. I was directed here by a friend who thought that pepakura might be an answer to a problem I am having creating something. I actually got to meet the person who started the whole pepakura thing at Dragon*con this year, so I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

If I wanted to create a custom piece of pepakura work, how would I go about even remotely trying to do so? While the idea of what I want to do is similar to things I've seen on this site, it is definitely a custom build. Thanks for any help!

Hello all. I was directed here by a friend who thought that pepakura might be an answer to a problem I am having creating something. I actually got to meet the person who started the whole pepakura thing at Dragon*con this year, so I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

If I wanted to create a custom piece of pepakura work, how would I go about even remotely trying to do so? While the idea of what I want to do is similar to things I've seen on this site, it is definitely a custom build. Thanks for any help!

Not sure on the details, but you will need to get some 3D modeling software and make a 3D model of the piece that you want to create. Then load that model into Pepakura Designer 3 and do the unfold. Or if you just want to learn to do the 3D modeling, there are plenty of people here (including myself) who are more than willing to do unfolds.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm not into the 3D modeling.

Not sure on the details, but you will need to get some 3D modeling software and make a 3D model of the piece that you want to create. Then load that model into Pepakura Designer 3 and do the unfold. Or if you just want to learn to do the 3D modeling, there are plenty of people here (including myself) who are more than willing to do unfolds.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm not into the 3D modeling.

I know some members use Blender to do some 3D modeling. Blender is free. However, like all 3D modeling software it has a steep learning curve. I've tried using it last year and I gave up.

hey guys ive just started building a mark VI suit and ive run in to some issues
how do i scale the individual pieces i understand how to use the pepakura software but not how to get the scale right

also how do i scale the boots to fit my shoes?

if anyone could answer this it would be much appreciated
thanks

hey guys ive just started building a mark VI suit and ive run in to some issues
how do i scale the individual pieces i understand how to use the pepakura software but not how to get the scale right

also how do i scale the boots to fit my shoes?

if anyone could answer this it would be much appreciated
thanks

You scale the entire piece by going to 2D Menu-change scale - change scale factor. Enter in the height that you want.

It's pretty much a guestimate as to how big to make a piece. What some people do is build up the low def versions of the pieces to test the scaling, and then adjust based on that. I just take detailed measurements of my body and then guess at the scaling based off of those. You want to boots to come a little bit above your ankle.

thanks mate so its just gessing where i want the parts to come to and then doing it from that

and i just realsised the boot is an easy one just do it the right hight because shoe size don't matter as the toe is a seperarate piece

thanks again mate ill just do it like that then

So i tried the "got a question post her thread" but it was closed. ..
I am a NOOB and am trying my first project. I have been exploring the site and its many assets for about a week now and I just found the AllN1 Halo Pepakura pack. I have no idea what Pepakura is anyways; however, I thought it would be a good tool to learn and so I dl'd the pack. When I unzipped it I found that the files were PDO files and I have never seen this file type before. How do I open them? What program do I use? Is it expensive?
OH! And where is a good place to read up/learn about Pepakura so I dont kill yall with questions?

So i tried the "got a question post her thread" but it was closed. ..
I am a NOOB and am trying my first project. I have been exploring the site and its many assets for about a week now and I just found the AllN1 Halo Pepakura pack. I have no idea what Pepakura is anyways; however, I thought it would be a good tool to learn and so I dl'd the pack. When I unzipped it I found that the files were PDO files and I have never seen this file type before. How do I open them? What program do I use? Is it expensive?
OH! And where is a good place to read up/learn about Pepakura so I dont kill yall with questions?

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/1034-Tutorial-How-to-use-Pepakura-to-make-your-Mjolnir-Armor

You don't have to download those files in the post. You can open up any .PDO with Pepakura Designer. The program is free to use, but you can't save changes. If you want the save feature, you must buy a key, which is ~$40. Not really needed if you're just going to build armor.

And read through the stickies. They're located in several places:

Pepakura: http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/14-Pepakura-and-Cardboard-Armor

N00B: http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/21-Noob-Forum

That should cover everything you need to build armor.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/1034-Tutorial-How-to-use-Pepakura-to-make-your-Mjolnir-Armor

You don't have to download those files in the post. You can open up any .PDO with Pepakura Designer. The program is free to use, but you can't save changes. If you want the save feature, you must buy a key, which is ~$40. Not really needed if you're just going to build armor.

And read through the stickies. They're located in several places:

Pepakura: http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/14-Pepakura-and-Cardboard-Armor

N00B: http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/21-Noob-Forum

That should cover everything you need to build armor.

I got ya. In those stickies the post with the "FAQ" and "Tutorial" sections are not hyperlinked to anything. Should I just read the post people are making or is there more?

Hey all.

Im new here, and to this whole armor building stuff, with perpakura(?)

but I mainly first will be wanting to ask one question before I continue.

ALL the perpakura stuff I've seen upon 'till now is either all Halo, or some other already excisting design. (Iron man for one.)
unfortunatly this really is not what I want to do, I want to make my own designs. And not really for 'just the fun of it' either.
more for the fun of it, AND for later purposes. I am a DJ, and since I do alot of Dubstep music (which includes alot of robotic transformer type of sounds) I had the idea to make me a self-designed suit for my shows. I suppose you can see it for a stage-act.

but since I am poor, very low on money, and would still love to get some quality out of it all, I figured this might be the solution if I get the techniques of this process down.

So, the big question, can I create my own designs?

This is a helmet design I drew out which Id actually might like to use.
1zfhrua.jpg

Next things are, I dont know anything about how you would actually do this, what materials to use, and what the whole process is?

Oh yeah, if its possible, how the hell can you get the mesurements right for your own head?

how the hell can you get the mesurements right for your own head?
Calipers
46447_caliper_lg.gif

or you can get a length of semi-rigid wire and wrap it around your head where the brim of a hat would be, take it off, and measure the width and length. You can get aluminum wire from a craft store, sometimes walmart. You can also make your own calipers. You can make some from a couple of popsicle sticks and a paint stirrer. See the image below for a better idea of how it is put together. You can either make the ends of the calipers pointed and measure the distance between them with a ruler, or you can mark the paint stirrer with rule marks.

Usually, I just stand in front of a mirror with a ruler. Not very accurate, but quick and easy.:p

wht kind of glue should i use to glue the pieces together?

I personally use hot glue. It hardens fast, and you can undo bad joints. Other people use super glue to avoid the burnt fingers, while others still use plain old white Elmer's glue. Don't use tape, because that will dissolve under the resin.

Need some help, desperately!

I wanna work on my first full suit of armor (for a year I've been doing nothing but pieces), and I need to know how to scale them in pepakura designer so they come out larger when they're printed, but when I scale them up, they go off the paper, and that makes it very hard for me to work with. What do other people do when this happens, because I know that I'm not the only one that this happens to, or do people just deal with it? If so, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back