"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I just ran into an issue I haven't seen addressed yet. About half way through my file, my printer quit printing the edge and fold lines. The edge ID's are still there, but the lines are missing. I went back through and re-highlighted the whole table to reset the lines and the colors of choice for each, but, when I ran the print again, it did the same thing.

The first time I ran this file, it was fine. I decided that I had screwed up with it enough during assembly to run a second one for a fresh start. I followed the tuts from Ithaca (Thank you kindly, sir!!), and increased the size by 10%, and then relocated the parts so that they all fit within the margins of each page. I set the line colors and hit print... And now I have no lines...

Any ideas, ya'll?

Thanks,
Dread

First, try printing one page at a time. For some reason, this solves a lot of problems with Pepakura.

If the program starts printing all black pages, or just the edge ID's (the numbers) here are the printer settings that solved that problem for me:

Under "Settings" click "Print and Paper Settings"
Leave the default the way it's been working for you, but select:
"Print Lines Smoothly (Bitmap print)"; and
"Transparency" to 0%.
If that's the way you already have it, try the opposite, then close and restart the program.

Hello everybody I have a few questions so i downloaded a few Pep files and i already assembled my carter helmet and my shoulders in cardstock and I plan to fiberglass them however i have intentions of doing the torso in styrene to save me time I printed it out on cardstock to see if I did the measurements right and I havent assembled it yet but it seems like it's going to be really small a friend of mine told me to measure the width of my chest from armpit to armpit in millimeters and adjust the scale on that I just printed it and it looks like the scale could be too small i set the width at 356mm my chest measures out to approximately 14 inches so my question is should I have measure it by my height or by my width?

Hello everybody I have a few questions so i downloaded a few Pep files and i already assembled my carter helmet and my shoulders in cardstock and I plan to fiberglass them however i have intentions of doing the torso in styrene to save me time I printed it out on cardstock to see if I did the measurements right and I havent assembled it yet but it seems like it's going to be really small a friend of mine told me to measure the width of my chest from armpit to armpit in millimeters and adjust the scale on that I just printed it and it looks like the scale could be too small i set the width at 356mm my chest measures out to approximately 14 inches so my question is should I have measure it by my height or by my width?
Kinda challenging to read without any punctuation marks. :(

Anyway, I would personally go for width. And 356mm seems a bit small IMO. Which chest file do you intend to use?

*Problem*

I was looking around in the forums, as per usual, looking for trouble shooting tips for my brand new silhouette sd and they were very helpful in regards getting it to cut properly but there was nothing regarding printer issues. So, here are two photos of the issues I am having:

This is my print preview in Pepakura Viewer for Robocraft. As you can see everything is lined up and inside the desginated area.
photo.jpg

So I check all of my printer settings and everything matchs so I print from here and this is what happens...

photo1.jpg

I cant figure out whats wrong, it prints haphazardly and is missing segmints. I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can help me out. I am assuming its probably a very simple and stupid button or box that needs to be checked that I am over looking.

^^ Go to Settings-Print Settings and set the "thickness of line" to 6 or greater.

Great, thanks hickey!! I was hoping you'd be responding; most of the things I've learned about this machine thus far has been from your posts

Edit: its always the smallest detail you over look. I changed the thickness of the lines and it still did not work but through that I could see lines were the rinter did not print. I did a little trouble shooting on my printer's manuel and it turns out it was the nozzle in the printer was clogged and just needed to be cleaned

tactical_facepalm.jpg

Use this scaling formula:

Assembled Height (mm) = 0.9375 x (Armpit Distance in mm)

Also, about the 356mm. I take my remark back. 356mm is too big.

i found a formula similar to that and it was 10.4x(armpit distance in mm) and I got 502 mm it sounds too big but i just assmepbled the collar and it fits on me perfectly i was even able to fit my dreads through

Then the chest piece is likely too large.

Remeber, you don't fit your head through the hole, it's a "neck hole", not a "head hole". During construction you will seperate the chest into a 'front' and 'back'. Then you need merely clip them together to wear it. The hole need only be big enough to fit your neck, not your head.

Here's where I seperated my Mk VI chest at the top, also cut the pieces joining under the armpit. Click image to see the blue lines representing where the cut would be:

th_IMG_20101009_152445.jpg

i found a formula similar to that and it was 10.4x(armpit distance in mm) and I got 502 mm it sounds too big but i just assmepbled the collar and it fits on me perfectly i was even able to fit my dreads through
Wait! That formula with the 10.4 only applies to the L3X's version 3 chest. You used the formula incorrectly. The scaling formulas that I'm deriving are model-specific. If you noticed, that formula that you used required the shoulder distance (double-check the thread where you got it). The formula I made for you used the armpit distance, as you mentioned in your post. And even though your head fits through the collar, the shoulder part might look too big for you.

EDIT: Looks like Roadkiller mentioned that bit about the neck hole.

Wait! That formula with the 10.4 is only applies to the L3X's version 3 chest. You used the formula incorrectly. The scaling formulas that I'm deriving are model-specific. If you noticed, that formula that you used required the shoulder distance (double-check the thread where you got it). The formula I made for you used the armpit distance, as you mentioned in your post. And even though your head fits through the collar, the shoulder part might look too big for you.

EDIT: Looks like Roadkiller mentioned that bit about the neck hole.

your right it is looking too big I had did the second measurements from shoulder to shoulder I can see where I had messed up afteri finished the top part definitely too big

Then the chest piece is likely too large.

Remeber, you don't fit your head through the hole, it's a "neck hole", not a "head hole". During construction you will seperate the chest into a 'front' and 'back'. Then you need merely clip them together to wear it. The hole need only be big enough to fit your neck, not your head.

Here's where I seperated my Mk VI chest at the top, also cut the pieces joining under the armpit. Click image to see the blue lines representing where the cut would be:

th_IMG_20101009_152445.jpg

that makes alot more sense now I was wondering how I was going to fiber glass it once assembled but now I see you cut it up into two parts

This is a really broad question, but how should I go about making ODST armor out of cardboard, and does anyone know of anywhere where I can find hi-res pictures of odst armor?

Ok my next question concerning the torso is I've noticed that some people use a material called Styrene for building the torso and rest of the armor peaces which is supposed to be better than just fiber-glassing cardboard. But then I saw someone on here who did their reach armor in foam his name is Tim and his armor is amazing so I'm wondering for a first timer like me which would be better? Build the Torso in Styrene, or try my luck with foam and hopefully be done by San Diego comic con

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back