"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done the scaling formulas, but like I said, it all comes out just way too wide/deep.

Halogoddess has made slimmer Mark VI parts, so if that's the kind if suit you're building (mentioning that would have been a good idea :)), you may want to look into it. She's also written a superb tutorial on scaling, in case you have any trouble with that.

You can also try to make yourself a bit bigger by wearing a bulky undersuit with some padding later.

Would it be very difficult for a mac user to use sketchup unfold tool to make pepakura?

Would it be easier to get a pc-person export a high-def image file of the unfolds or a PDF of the printout?

Send me a private note with your email and scaling and which files you want, I will print them to pdf for you and then you can open them on your mac.
OR
You could get an external usb drive and download pepakura directly to it and go to your local library, scale it here and print it off. They will usually load different paper. it may cost a little, though.

Halogoddess has made slimmer Mark VI parts, so if that's the kind if suit you're building (mentioning that would have been a good idea :)), you may want to look into it. She's also written a superb tutorial on scaling, in case you have any trouble with that.

You can also try to make yourself a bit bigger by wearing a bulky undersuit with some padding later.

I find Egg carton foam to be superb for this.

Yeah I'm doing a MKVI suit I really shoulda mentioned that >.< those Slim files would be a god send! I'll go check those out, thanks. The scaling isn't too much an issue for me, I just find the files I want, and the lowdef MkVI ones that are scaled for the Chief, then I use my ratios for that one, find out what it would come out to and pop those dimensions into the Highdef non-MC files, and it's nearly identical. Being tall has it's drawbacks =p I just recently found out that Boeing 737s dont have a large enough door, and I gotta duck it XD

I haven't given too much thought to the undersuit yet, but heat management is going to play a huge factor in it, so extra bulk may end up being too hot. Being in Hawaii and SoCal will make shenanigans unbearable if it all keeps me nice and toasty at 110+. Though for now, I think I'll be wearing dark clothes, possibly some motocross leathers, and rigging up a set of suspenders and clips to keep it all in the right places. That's a ways down the road still, I haven't even pepped out all my pieces.

Thanks for the help,
Jake

Yeah I'm doing a MKVI suit I really shoulda mentioned that >.< those Slim files would be a god send! I'll go check those out, thanks. The scaling isn't too much an issue for me, I just find the files I want, and the lowdef MkVI ones that are scaled for the Chief, then I use my ratios for that one, find out what it would come out to and pop those dimensions into the Highdef non-MC files, and it's nearly identical. Being tall has it's drawbacks =p I just recently found out that Boeing 737s dont have a large enough door, and I gotta duck it XD

I haven't given too much thought to the undersuit yet, but heat management is going to play a huge factor in it, so extra bulk may end up being too hot. Being in Hawaii and SoCal will make shenanigans unbearable if it all keeps me nice and toasty at 110+. Though for now, I think I'll be wearing dark clothes, possibly some motocross leathers, and rigging up a set of suspenders and clips to keep it all in the right places. That's a ways down the road still, I haven't even pepped out all my pieces.

Thanks for the help,
Jake

Or there's always ordering a wet suit from amazon. That's what I intend to do if I can find one that's not OUTRAGEOUS.

Or there's always ordering a wet suit from amazon. That's what I intend to do if I can find one that's not OUTRAGEOUS.

Wetsuits are still a pretty hot getup. I'm not sure if you've had experience with them, but just walking with it on from the car with my surfboard, down to the water (75 yards) gets you sweating. It would be a pretty expensive mistake if it ends up not being right for you, are there any surf/dive shops nearby where you could try on one of them and just wear it for a couple minutes?

I don't think that's really what you're thinking of. As Jake D already explained, you're going to get very hot in a hurry since it's designed to hold the heat in. You might be thinking of a pressure suit, which has a mesh fabric.

I don't think that's really what you're thinking of. As Jake D already explained, you're going to get very hot in a hurry since it's designed to hold the heat in. You might be thinking of a pressure suit, which has a mesh fabric.

Wet Suit:
http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wets...4ET0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307834131&sr=8-1
I didn't know those were designed to hold heat in.

Pressure Suit:
http://4bpracing.com.au/body_armour.htm
That one is a nice one but it's in australia. Is that what you meant?

Maybe not this one, since it's made from lycra :)
I guess it's somewhat similar to spandex suits (definitely looks similar), maybe those are what you were thinking of? Spandex is very thin and stretchy, whereas the stereotypical wet suit is made from neoprene foam and can be rather thick, depending on how much insulation is desired.

Wet suit as the one used for scuba diving.

Pressure Suit:
http://4bpracing.com.au/body_armour.htm
That one is a nice one but it's in australia. Is that what you meant?
Pretty much but this one is cheaper and it's here in the US. This is also what most people used here. Here's another one but it's slightly more expensive. It's the same brand as the one I have (but already discontinued).

Wet suit as the one used for scuba diving.

Pretty much but this one is cheaper and it's here in the US. This is also what most people used here. Here's another one but it's slightly more expensive. It's the same brand as the one I have (but already discontinued).

The second one I saw on amazon but i'm not sure I like it. The first one is perfect! The back of it is almost identical to the back of a spartan suit. I may go with that one. What do most use for legs?

I checked for all of HaloGoddess' posts and found one with her female models, but when I tried to download them it said the links were invalid. Do you happen to have those files, or know where I can get them?

I checked for all of HaloGoddess' posts and found one with her female models, but when I tried to download them it said the links were invalid. Do you happen to have those files, or know where I can get them?

As Roadkiller said: Ask Halogoddess. I have them, but I won't send them anywhere because they're not mine.

do you have any tips at all?

Not if you ask like that I'm afraid.

Read this and then rephrase your question please.

As Roadkiller said: Ask Halogoddess. I have them, but I won't send them anywhere because they're not mine.

Will do, I sent her a PM. If I am unable to acquire them, have any ideas on what I can do to shrink 'em down width/depth wise but not height wise?

Will do, I sent her a PM. If I am unable to acquire them, have any ideas on what I can do to shrink 'em down width/depth wise but not height wise?

From what I recall, you can't shrink it down width/depth wise. Perhaps you could try some of the female pieces on here:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...a-Files-Thread?highlight=official+reach+files
They're a ways down and some are on other pages. I could be wrong but I think that is the only difference between the male and female pieces.

You can't do that unless you have the actual 3D model, modify it, then export to Pepakura, then unfold it all yourself, all while having the permission of the original author first, of course. Reason being that if you could change all the dimensions independently of one another, then the piece would lose all its proportions, and look weird.

To be honest, I understand you have worries about your height/build, but I think you're worrying too much about this. Yes, the Master Chief Mark VI pieces can be quite large because he's a video game character with inaccurate body proportions. For my build, the forearms at the correct length ended up being crazy wide for my arms. But that's what's required to capture the correct Master Chief look. I just had to glue in a ton of padding so that it would fit snug on my arm, but it worked out fine in the end.

I completely agree with spitfire. The padding is probably the best idea. It not only keeps the proportions right, if done correctly it can illiminate the need for any strapping to hold it in place. A nice secure fit will allow you to simply slip on and go. Personally I've found cheap memory foam to work very well for this. And if you can find it try for the kind that transfers heat away from your body. That will help keep you cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back