Help & Suggestions for 1st Build Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rip my traced out sections down to individual parts with a seam allowance for trimming. It's a bit more wasteful on foam but it lets you have more than enough surface to place your steel ruler on or to cut appropriate bevels.
Thats smart... Luckly this is my first testing part (shoulder) so I can try that with the mirrored version and see which one turns out better! Thanks Turbo.

The next level strats right here.

I rip my traced out sections down to individual parts with a seam allowance for trimming. It's a bit more wasteful on foam but it lets you have more than enough surface to place your steel ruler on or to cut appropriate bevels.

Having individual parts lets you better manipulate them on the table and keep track of all your pieces for prep and assembly. You might have seen my pattern stacking knolling technique on Bucket to Boots, it may look like chaos but it helps for speed building.
View attachment 272555
That's a lot of knives you have there... how many hands do you have???

That's a lot of knives you have there... how many hands do you have???
Just the two hands actually! I keep different knives around for different styles of cuts though because I'm weird that way. Sure I could do it all with one knife but it just feels better or is easier with certain blades/handles.

Just the two hands actually! I keep different knives around for different styles of cuts though because I'm weird that way. Sure I could do it all with one knife but it just feels better or is easier with certain blades/handles.
So... you don't go full Wolverine on your suits?

Apparently he has two hands, but what he didnt mention is he has an extra finger on his left hand, and accidentally cut off his ring and pinkie finger with all them knives long ago...
Hold the phone... I'm looking for the 6 fingered man.
6-fingered-man.jpg

Back with more questions! I'm thinking about bondoing my helmet soon here so I know I have to sand the outside of my helmet so that bondo can stick to it and I know you have to apply smaller batches of bondo. But my question is how do you get the detailing on your helmets when It looks like you have to smoothe over the whole thing to begin with.

I'm refering to the detail/crease lines on helmets see this picture below for what I mean like the line below the "22" on the top of the helmet.

Just wondering what you guys think the best method is for creating these lines.

Last edited:
You could use a dremel, but I would recommend using a file or a popsicle stick with 80 grit sand paper glued onto it. Draw a line of the detail, and make a couple passes pressing down hard to get a groove going. Then sand the line to what dimensions you want

You could use a dremel, but I would recommend using a file or a popsicle stick with 80 grit sand paper glued onto it. Draw a line of the detail, and make a couple passes pressing down hard to get a groove going. Then sand the line to what dimensions you want

The small little bits of techniques you pick up just by reading others builds! I drew my lines, slapped on a cutting disc, and went to town on my helmet. NEVER even considered making score lines first! DOH! Another tip filed away for future use.

That's what I would recommend. Take your time with the bondo. You can also use playing cards taped in place to give you a flat edge.

You can also use playing cards taped in place to give you a flat edge.
Took me a second to understand what that meant but I think I get it, but using the playing card as a flat surface to fill up to. It's hard to explain but I think I get it.

I used a dremel with a milling attachment, then needle file to even out. I too scored the line first. I want to say I used a nail or maybe the tang of a file?

Other builders have posted about it, but I can find a picture if you're not sure what the milling bit looks like.

I'm sure I can Google that and maybe even have it with my Dremel kit thank you I appreciate the response!

I also have another question but think I've found answers elsewhere but I like all your opinions. When sanding down Bondo do you guys use sand paper? Electric palm sanders? Sponge sanders? I have a palm sander but I feel that's only necessary if I somehow put too much Bondo on and I know it's suggested to do thin layers

Friday is the D-Day for bondoing

I'm sure I can Google that and maybe even have it with my Dremel kit thank you I appreciate the response!

I also have another question but think I've found answers elsewhere but I like all your opinions. When sanding down Bondo do you guys use sand paper? Electric palm sanders? Sponge sanders? I have a palm sander but I feel that's only necessary if I somehow put too much Bondo on and I know it's suggested to do thin layers

Friday is the D-Day for bondoing
I found that dremels and electric Sanders, although they make the process easier, they make it easier to mess up and get an uneven finish, so I hand sand everything. This is one of the reasons why working in small thin areas is key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back