Help & Suggestions for 1st Build Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 questions today if you all could help me..
First one, how(pep helmet) and where do you guys mount your helmet fans and where do you point them(both at visor or just one)? I'm also thinking of just putting power pack in the helmet as well on the back of the neck part on the helmet.

2nd: How do you guys afix your boot covers to your shoes? I've seen people use insulating/construction foam before and was thinking of that possibly along with contact cement since I bought some shoes specific for this costume.

Last edited:
2 questions today if you all could help me..
First one, how(pep helmet) and where do you guys mount your helmet fans and where do you point them(both at visor or just one)? I'm also thinking of just putting power pack in the helmet as well on the back of the neck part on the helmet.

2nd: How do you guys afix your boot covers to your shoes? I've seen people use insulating/construction foam before and was thinking of that possibly along with contact cement since I bought some shoes specific for this costume.

The fans in my master chief helmet look something like this:

15670878301186790714641760662354.jpg

It's hard to tell, but they point back at my head. The airflow they produce helps keep the visor clear even though they aren't pointed at it.

For shoes, I used ExCeLLuR8's method of using horse stall rubber mat, a gallon of shoe goo and 550 (para) cord to attach the host shoe to the armor shoe.

One problem I ran into with the shoes was I didn't initially rough up the rubber mat and foam pieces with sand paper before shoe gooing, and that compromised the adhesion. I fixed the problem and haven't had an issue yet.

This is what the bottom of my shoes look like:

15670881592805493361131040172868.jpg

I will say it's best to take your time with the shoes. A quality shoe will do a world of good over a hastily constructed shoe.

Hope this helps.

The fans in my master chief helmet look something like this:

View attachment 277129
It's hard to tell, but they point back at my head. The airflow they produce helps keep the visor clear even though they aren't pointed at it.

For shoes, I used ExCeLLuR8's method of using horse stall rubber mat, a gallon of shoe goo and 550 (para) cord to attach the host shoe to the armor shoe.

One problem I ran into with the shoes was I didn't initially rough up the rubber mat and foam pieces with sand paper before shoe gooing, and that compromised the adhesion. I fixed the problem and haven't had an issue yet.

This is what the bottom of my shoes look like:

View attachment 277130

I will say it's best to take your time with the shoes. A quality shoe will do a world of good over a hastily constructed shoe.

Hope this helps.
This helps thank you, I don't know why I didn't think of using shoe goo on actual shoes... I didn't plan on having a bottom part for the sole so I suppose that Is something else to consider. I was just gonna have it over the top of the shoes I was using.

It's easier to do it your way, for sure, but this way is way more sturdy.

If you lik at my picture my soles are stepped down from two layers in the back to one in the front. If you choose to go this way, DON'T DO WHAT I DID! There's a crazy uncomfortable step didn in the middle of each foot, and it causes a lot of pressure and strain after a while.

For fan placement and if your interested in a ducting system, you could also follow what Elcorio did with his ODST helmet.

If I have the space in my helmet, I plan on using some type of ducting system similar to his.

For fan placement and if your interested in a ducting system, you could also follow what Elcorio did with his ODST helmet.

If I have the space in my helmet, I plan on using some type of ducting system similar to his.
I wasn't sure If you had to have the fans pointed at the visor, but it seems based on yours and seans post as long as the heat doesn't sit in the helmet and moves around it won't fog up. Maybe that will give me some more options then I thought.

Also I always find myself checking out elcorios build, hes got some pretty good ideas. thanks!

Frozensnot Thanks for the mention.

Something I learned and will change on my set up: have ALL fans pulling in cool air. The push/pull idea worked OK, but the exhausting fans didn't evacuate the warm air as well as I thought it would. However, by reversing the duct where it is being fed cooler outside air and bringing it into the helmet should create a positive air system. Basically cool air in, warm air out the neck area.

At least in theory!

Frozensnot Thanks for the mention.

Something I learned and will change on my set up: have ALL fans pulling in cool air. The push/pull idea worked OK, but the exhausting fans didn't evacuate the warm air as well as I thought it would. However, by reversing the duct where it is being fed cooler outside air and bringing it into the helmet should create a positive air system. Basically cool air in, warm air out the neck area.

At least in theory!
I unfortunately bought a premade fan kit that only comes with 2 fans, So I guess i'll have to consider that.

Hopefully my last question here. Do you guys think I need to add more Bondo before sanding down so that it doesn't have the scored bends. Or should sanding now mostly make it look curved.
IMG_20190924_191956.jpgIMG_20190924_191920.jpgIMG_20190924_191932.jpgIMG_20190924_191906.jpg

I think if you start sanding now, focusing on the ridges that are still visible, you'll be ok. Don't put the bondo away just yet, though; yo may need it later.

I'm impressed with how this has turned out so far, man. Keep it up!

"he4thbar, post: 778738, member: 29243"]
Hopefully my last question here. Do you guys think I need to add more Bondo before sanding down so that it doesn't have the scored bends. Or should sanding now mostly make it look curved.
View attachment 278468View attachment 278469View attachment 278470View attachment 278471
[/QUOTE]
Its how YOU want it. Although, I am pretty sure the game models are perfectly round at the front and smooth into that geometric line shape at the back.

Thanks Sean Anwalt & xXDashIVXx I think i'll just sand down for now and if need be apply a thin layer of spot putty in certain spots to fix it up.
It looks like you just have to get it smooth, and then focus on the raised corners that give it the geometric shape if you layer choose to. I would try and do as much as you can before you add more bondo, and if/when you do add more, smooth it out flat as much as you can before it dries out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back