Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet again Hugh, some more of your amazing work. For that being the first pull it looks really clean, I cant wait to see if and when you do a run of these for sale. Also on a side note, have you figured out an effective way to do the visor yet or are you still working on it? Other then that, great work so far and I cannot wait to see more.

Andrew:

Visors

Thanks everyone :)

Yet again Hugh, some more of your amazing work. For that being the first pull it looks really clean, I cant wait to see if and when you do a run of these for sale. Also on a side note, have you figured out an effective way to do the visor yet or are you still working on it? Other then that, great work so far and I cannot wait to see more.

Andrew:

Thanks Andrew. I don't think I am going to do a run of these helmets. Too much work to mass produce a line of helmets that I just don't have time for. I don't mind doing commissions, but it all comes down to how much time I have. I'm not going to talk about sales or trades on this thread so I don't break any rules, but anyone is welcome to contact me via PM :)

As for the visor here is my new experiment:

110123_ODST_Helm_6.jpg

110123_ODST_Helm_3.jpg

110123_ODST_Helm_8.jpg

110123_ODST_Helm_9.jpg

110123_ODST_Helm_2.jpg

I haven't permanently attached the visor in the helmet yet. When I do it is going to fit flush to the edges of the helmet without a gap. I'm still waiting on the surface paint to settle, as well as the under-layer to fully cure.

I've been gathering pics and I plan on posting a mini-tutorial on this thread. It basically builds off of the technique by Zakuace, with a couple more steps and some info I think will help people out.

Dude!

Can I give this thread a "Hell yeah!"

Looks awesome Hugh... and really love that Blue mirrored visor...
That looks awesome man!

Cujo3131

looking good man and im so glad u made the files so good i am luving how its making my build look perfect.....

i call snap on that Spartan-005. these filare going to make me look leet(er than last build)

Wow Hugh amazing visor, it looks like you just took the helmet right out of the game. I gotta know... how did you make the visor look so awesome.

Andrew:

I agree with everone else. This ODST helmet and armor ROCKS! I also am curious about the visor. (how did you do it?)

now... make it RRRReeeeeeaaaaacccchhhhh

I don't think he going to be working on a Reach ODST. He did however make they ear pieces for us to use for our builds. They're on the first page of this thread.

-Pony

Thanks everyone!

I'm working on the visor tutorial now. Since it is basically ZakuAce's workflow with some additions I'm wondering if I should just ask him if I can post on his thread.

I think I came up with a good way to mount the shoulders. I did a mock up of a shoulder base in maya and unfolded it.

shoulder1.jpg

This was my first time working with foam. It's pretty nice. Its definitely quick but I don't think the foam itself is nice looking enough to go straight to painting. Sure it looks good in pics but in person not so much. That's just my opinion though.

shoulder2.jpg

Here are the parts with my decked out shoulders. There parts just need the weathering to be finished. Gotta wait for the storm of the century to finish though...

Helm3.jpg
Helm1.jpg
Helm2.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________​

I'm going to go ahead and give you guys the cliff-notes on how to do this visor, just to keep it simple.

Here is what you need:

visor1.jpg

The right plastic! You need a plastic that's sturdy enough to hold it's shape and thin enough to fold without breaking. This is the stuff. You want a 9x12 inch sheet, any smaller and you won't be able to fit the template on it all the way. You'll also want a sheet that has a thickness around .03 inches.

visor2.jpg

Mirror tint. I use the tint for buildings because it has a higher light transmission and looks cooler. Auto tint works too, but it may not be as reflective as you like. Everyone talks about how hard this stuff is to work with, but you HAVE to apply it on the plastic sheet BEFORE you cut out and make your visor. Some tints do have colors but in my opinion they don't match anything halo related, and they also have a low light transmission so... I use this. It's 50% LT and the standard silver. It's nice to have a basic silver so that you can make any color visor you want :)

visor3.jpg

X-Metals paint. The blue color works fine for standard ODST's. Keep the coats very thin, and very light. This will affect your clarity if you're not careful, but you can see through it. For Halo 3: ODST use a VERY light coat, you'll want a very diffused blue. The yellow could sort of kinda look gold, but I'm sure there are other paints that work better.

visor4.jpg

Get a visor template. I have one available on the front page. Use whatever suites you :)

visor5.jpg

Basic stuff - Apply the tint on your sheet. You'll also need to get the window tint application solution! This is important, it does NOT come with the tint! Trace and cut your visor, assemble, and paint. You could also paint the plastic before you cut the parts out. I would have done this but it was night time and cold outside.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back