Information Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventchildmatrix

Just thought that if anyone had any useless piece of knowledge you can dump here for anybody to know
for instance

The indian dish tikka masala isn't actually indian it was invented by a scotish man

adventSpartanMatrix said:
Just thought that if anyone had any useless piece of knowledge you can dump here for anybody to know
for instance

The indian dish tikka masala isn't actually indian it was invented by a scotish man

You touch 14 penis by inadvertance everyday.

For exemple, you take someone's hand after he want to the toilet...

Eh. That's why I wash my hands often :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Water is one of the only materials that cannot be made into a glass.

(It's too highly polar to assume a random structure, no matter how fast you freeze it.)

Sean- that was pretty cool! I don't find it scary at all, as a child of the digital age i find it strangely comforting... o_O

Australia has the fastest wireless network in the world 24-42mbps, Unless you live in a very large city you have faster wireless access than land line access.

The Australian government is attempting to introduce and internet filtering scheme to prevent ANY AND ALL content that is inappropriate for children to be blocked, and not just blocked from the children, blocked from EVERYONE. (Note: they will attempt it, and they will fail, but will spend billions trying to make it work)

Every 100 years, the Earth is bombarded by 3.5 pounds of Sunlight.

Chimpanzees are smarter than Humans.

The most recycled material on the planet is Lead.

The air we breathe is only about 21% Oxygen.

Mice can sense low levels of Oxygen through their skin.

The largest object ever stolen is the Empire State Building. Read the story here.

Seems we have conflicting information in the above statements about cats being the second smartest mamal behind humans and one claim that chimpanzees are the smartest mammal :)

To add to the convo, glass is not a solid... it is a very very slow moving liquid.

Cheers,
Kensai

Banging your head against a wall at a rate of one hit per second burns 150 calories an hour

Every year, the moon gets 2 miles further away.

Force equals mass times acceleration.

The energy of an oscillating mass on a spring in Simple Harmonic Motion can be given as (.5*k*x^2)+(.5*m*v^2) assuming no sound, light, or heat is given off.

Tomatoes were deemed vegetables in a Supreme Court case for tax reasons.

LastSpartan said:
You touch 14 penis by inadvertance everyday.

For exemple, you take someone's hand after he want to the toilet...

Eh. That's why I wash my hands often :)

oh no...no no no.....So youre telling me that When I exchange money with over 600 people a day on average.....oh nooo!

In the olden days of wooden ships, manure was transported in crates in the cold damp lower cargo holds of the ships. The dampness would cause the manure to expand and produce methane gas which would collect in the holds. Then, when crew members went down to check on it with their open-flame lanterns they would ignite the methane and detonate the ship.

To combat this, they started storing the crates of manure higher in the ship to prevent them from getting wet. To mark the boxes they stamped them with an acronym that meant Store High In Transit.

See what it spells? I thunked so...

About glass being a liquid...
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Gene...lass/glass.html

I've been in this discussion before. ;)

I have to disagree about chimps being smarter than humans; they may have better memories regarding some things but they are by no means smarter than humans. Can a chimp type or understand this sentence if it isn't from memory? Good memory and intelligence are not the same.

Anyways...

The term 'rush' comes from an anti-poaching vessel named the Rush. She was a fast ship and poachers would say they needed to finish up before the rush got there. (roughly accurate - going by memory from several years ago)

I'm loaded with trivia, but it's 3:29 A.M. right now and I'm extremely tired.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Every year, the moon gets 2 miles further away.

That's highly doubtful, 2 miles is fairly substantial, I could have sworn it only moves about an inch or so away from the earth per year :/.

-Doom

On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

@Sean, that video is amazing! Some of that stuff is just so incredible that it's hard to believe! :)

Man, that video you put up there Sean kinda blew my mind. With the surprising info.

Least this isn't COMPLETELY useless, we could actually learn some new stuff here.

Just some random facts-

A Jiffy is an actual increment of time - 0.01 of a second.

You get "shorter" as you walk around during the day. (your spine "compresses" from bobbing up and down.) and when you sleep your spine "resets" back to your normal length. In short - you're taller in the morning than you are in the afternoon.

The cake is a lie.

heres a random fact-

the weight of a Browning Automatic Rifle during WW2, unloaded, weighed about 20 pounds.

also, the average film runs 24 frames per second. those high speed cameras are in the thousands of frames per second.

Fix'd (thanks Kensai, im just a high school student)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back