Injuries!!! Tell/Show us your battle scars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alix965

I was just creating a relief stencil for my m6g's NoKorean Hangul for the top of the slide by cutting the characters out of electrical tape. I wanted the lines to look as neat as possible, so I put a brand new blade on my X-acto pulled out my my makeshift cutting board.
6c737582.jpg

I was about to cut out the "o" when my razer sharp (duh) knife ran and hit my opposite index finger. I didn't feel any pain but as (alot) of past exprience has taught me, it takes a moment for the burning pain to set in.

I immediately pulled my hand away wondering what new mutilation I had just visited upon my ever suffering fingers, too fearful to actually look, and ran to the bathroom sink.

I started first aid which for me involves holding the defaced digit under cold running water followed by a generous slathering of Gap filling super glue. To my relief and surprise the only fluids that poured into the sink was water. Clear, clean, bloodless, water.

My record remains. No stitches, no lost fingers, no nausea (I hate the sight of my OWN blood) , and no passing out from bloodloss on the bathroom floor. WIN/WIN!

It seems the Gesso I used on my finger to smooth a rough patch on my magnum caked up and took the brunt of the blade and protected my beautifully dainty, baby-soft hands.
36bc39fb.jpg
:cool

It's sooo weird. Maybe it was the angle of the cut or the lack of pressure I had on the knife at the time, But I dogded a bullet/blade this morning. I guess theres a first time for everything.

Other times I havn't been so fortunate. I've done horrible things to myself all in the name of hobby and recreation, as I'm sure all of you have. I'm curious at to what if any injuries you have indured during your labors of love.

Well it's back to go back to work dutifully on my ever burdensome project. Hope my luck holds out.

I kinda have mixed blessings... I tend to be a really good healer, so I don't really have any "battle scars" to show off... none-the-less, here is a listing of all my major wounds.
1. Inch long scar along right hand pinky finger. Cause: Rebuilding a microwave oven into a microwave laser and slicing halfway to the bone with a sharp sheet of metal. Effect: 7 stiches and ugly (but faded) scar.
2. Quarter inch crescent scar on right thumb. Cause: Pocket knife slapping closed, almost slicing clean through a chunk of flesh. Effect: 2 Butter-fly stitches and a nice clean and smooth scar.
3. 2 half-inch scars along left wrist. Cause: Dismantling old washing machine water pump. Hand slipped and 2 electrical prongs dug into wrist. Effect: Wrist wrapped in gauze and two (almost invisible) scars that if people DO see, force me to explain that, no, I did NOT do it on purpose.
4. Innumerable hot glue, hot metal, fire, and other such burns, blisters, and injuries. Various causes and effects.

I was stabbed in the leg when I was born...does that count?
I also have had countless paper cuts from pepakura...

Youu wanna hear injuries I'll give you injuries, My first one was when I was owrking on a wooden frame for a suit I was creating while using the tablesaw my finger got in the way of the blade whie running a piece of wood through it they were able to re-stich my thumb tip back on with 6 stiches,
2nd injury, working with the SCA and even though we use false edge blades the tip is still sharp I had a claymore go through me abdomen and out my back, even more stiches.
3rd injury I went out to fiberglass a pepakura piece in the middle of summer and I was using a container the size of a butter container to mix my resin in it fell off the table I was mixing on and all of it went on my left foot before I could get my foot out it already started to harden and I had to go to the hospital to have my shoe removed from my foot, no hair will ever grow again on that foot because they had to pretty much rip the sock off my foot to clean it up.
That's all I have for now but I'll probably think of worse later on.

2nd injury, working with the SCA and even though we use false edge blades the tip is still sharp I had a claymore go through me abdomen and out my back, even more stiches.
3rd injury I went out to fiberglass a pepakura piece in the middle of summer and I was using a container the size of a butter container to mix my resin in it fell off the table I was mixing on and all of it went on my left foot before I could get my foot out it already started to harden and I had to go to the hospital to have my shoe removed from my foot, no hair will ever grow again on that foot because they had to pretty much rip the sock off my foot to clean it up.

Those two actually made me a little sick just thinking about them... :eek

^ Ouch to the above posters.

I'm what they call a "Coordinated Clutz." Meaning, I may do something clutzy, but generally recover without face planting or losing a limb. Knock on wood. Most of my armor-fixing injuries have been due to cats, the 'oh shiny' distraction, or general dumbness.

1. 1 inch Scar (that actually is almost healed now that I look at it) down the inlet of my thumb. Cat distraction while trying to dremel an armor edge. I've tagged myself with the dremel a couple of times but luckily I heal fast. And I don't have one of those dremels that dentists use. Had a buddy who said one of his employees took a finger off without feeling it.
2. All sorts of burns that have mostly healed from hot glue.
3. Knicks on my knuckles from working too fast with sharp plastic.
4. 3/4" burn mark on my abdomen from where I was trying to dremel one shoulder piece, got distracted trying to check out the other, and tagged my shirt/abdomen with the dremel. I was more upset about mucking up my Browncoat shirt ;(
5. Stabbed myself deep enough in the thumb with one of those thread-removing-Moby Dick Killing-pure evil-tools once that it didn't bleed for about a minute. Then it gushed. And gushed. And then gushed some more.
6. Almost-burns from ABS glue until I built up a natural resistance. Now? No burning. I dunno if that's good or bad though. We'll see if I start sprouting mutations within the next few years.
7. Some good slices from using various knives for trimming. Haven't gotten stitches (knock on wood again) but probably should have a few times.

And those are just the specifically armor-building related ones. xD

I usually make a habit of cutting myself with every new knife I get, but so far, my X-Acto has spared me in that respect. Instead, I applied so much pressure while cutting that I hurt the first joint in my index finger. Now I'm wearing a stabilizing tape bandage and have a really hard time with pepping :-(

I have a 3" scar on my forehead from where I collided with a cement block. Also have a scar on the back of my head from the time I ignored the "No Running" signs around the swimming pool.

I've got an inch and a half scar running across my palm. How? Cutting French bread with a brand new steak knife. Remember kids, put your bread on the table to cut it.

Capture-60.jpg

Happened a few days ago while pepping. Got bored so filled a bottlecap full of hot glue, then forgot where i put it and accidentally dipped my finger into it. Burned like a beach :)P oh a hot day of course. hot sand, yea thats what i mean wink wink).

My other scars would take too long to list. Only two major ones, one happened a few months back when I fell off my motorcycle and crushed my foot with the bike. Have a pretty big scar going up my foot. I feel worse about losing the bike :( Was a beautiful bike....

ninja02.jpg

The other major one was when I got shot with a pellet rifle (by me stupid friend) and the pellet went right through my hand. Scar is pretty much gone now but hell it hurt.

Jeez. I dropped an exacto right on my socked foot. It landed point first (of course) and stuck briefly into that large vein that runs along the top. When I moved my foot the knife tipped over and fell off. Blood squirted about a foot into the air and ruined my rug. My wife was was not amused.

I have 3 scars on my left leg from where the docs had to insert a titanium rod into my leg to help my femur heal. I got t-boned by a cargo van going to work on my brand new(12hour old) gsxr750. The impact snapped my femur completely in two, luckily I never saw him coming and was limp when he hit me, sparing me any other injuries. Leg still gives me trouble in rainy days

I had a wound in the middle of my hand form the skin getting peeled off and there was some blood and it got infected with staff.......not a very fun hospital trip.

they had to scrape off the scab and go "clean" and scrape the infected tissue out of my hand and give me antibiotics.

how I accomplished this feat...BY ACCIDENT!!!! is I used my exacto, bad habit of messing with wounds that itch i.e. scratching them, and not having my hand bandaged...

learn from this and never try using an exacto on Solid resin models!

not even gonna show you the pics..THEY'RE PRETTY GROSS!

i have a wierd mark on my wrist, i slipped and fell on my ass in the cellar entrance, we have a wooden door there, my right hand hit the door it luckly slipped, but the part with the mark got a 2 inc long splinter, i was rushed to the clinic by my dad, the doctor had to remove a piece of skin from above the splinter, because it went in that deep. now i have a darker red mark on my wrist, witch is barely visibel, i also have a dark red dot on my leg, from my friend shot my with a pellet gun, the pellet penetrated skin, i had to pull it out with tweezers.
=/

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a wierd mark on my wrist, i slipped and fell on my ass in the cellar entrance, we have a wooden door there, my right hand hit the door it luckly slipped, but the part with the mark got a 2 inc long splinter, i was rushed to the clinic by my dad, the doctor had to remove a piece of skin from above the splinter, because it went in that deep. now i have a darker red mark on my wrist, witch is barely visibel, i also have a dark red dot on my leg, from my friend shot my with a pellet gun, the pellet penetrated skin, i had to pull it out with tweezers.
=/

the pellet gun thing is bad and the imagery going through m,y head looks like the stuff in farcry 2......eeewww!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Clutz right here. Scars... lets see

-I have 2, 2 inch scars on my right cheek, and 1/2 inch scars inside and above my left ear from a German Shephard
- Left index finger, plethora of intervowen scars the length of the finger. Perks of an off hand accident with a skillsaw. Learned not to set the blade too deep.
- Left elbow, various scars from a motorcycle accident.
- Innumerable scars on my hand from working on cars, in construction
- 1 quarter sized scar on my right side from a Brown Recluse
- 2 nickel sized scars on my back from a biopsy

And that is just the start of the list. Seriously. Too many to count. Burns, cuts, wipeouts, you name it, I've had it happen!

Bone grafting and 2 implanted teeth in lower jaw courtesy of the Navy from a pistol wiping.
Also had a vertebrae temporarily removed to have a herniated disk in my L-5 lumbar trimmed due to getting hip tossed off of the 2nd floor of a building.
It left a pretty cool scar on my lower back so I tell my girlfriend it's from where my saiyan tail used to be and they cut it off because I was too powerful.
Then I'm usually getting hit by her for saying that kind of nerdy thing, so plenty of scars there.

Scar on the back of my head from when I fell down when I was 1.

2 parallel scars running diagonally across my lower arm(Parkour incident)

I have a scar on my hip from when I was attacked by a knife that is about an inch long

And there will be more, I can guarrantee it.

well besides a 2 inch long cut i got from a thorn bush when I was 4 and scraping my left elbo on broken pavement, The only major scar I have is multiple small ones on my right hand from football. thats about it. For some reason i never get papercuts from pepakura :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back