Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it on Friday as well, was regular screening, not 3d, but now that you all suggest it ill probably go back later this week and check it out.

But i have to say that i think that movie topples all his other screenplays

Drakku said:
Edit: And as for "seeing too much".. I'm getting really tired of nudity being something that can only be shown in a sexual sense. Thank goodness for Watchmen actually having Dr. Manhattan's penis visible, and thank goodness for the outfits the Na'vi wear. Pandora isn't Earth.

Truth

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakku said:
Edit: And as for "seeing too much".. I'm getting really tired of nudity being something that can only be shown in a sexual sense. Thank goodness for Watchmen actually having Dr. Manhattan's penis visible, and thank goodness for the outfits the Na'vi wear. Pandora isn't Earth.

QFT

My dad LOATHES animated movies, but he LOVED this one. That movie was amazing in all aspects, ie. art direction, acting, amount of details, etcetera.

Drakku said:
I've seen it twice now, and it's absolutely and utterly amazing. I can't wait to see it again. I've seen it only in 2D so far, but my friends and I are going to go see it in IMAX 3D, so it should be quite the experience.

For those on the edge, it's spectacular, and you definitely need to see it in theaters. The characters are very well developed, and you definitely start feeling for them as the movie progresses. It's 2hrs 40mins or so, but you don't notice. (You know how some long movies start to lose your interest? This one won't. It's beautifully balanced in its plot development and action scenes to keep you watching and not get bored of it.)

:] In fact, first time I saw it, there's one part where the screen blacks out for a bit, pretty well into the movie, and some guy shouted, "IT BETTER NOT BE OVER." Haha.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the "Horse" is on fire; with its flesh peeling off as it's running, it looks eerily similar to the Fourth Horseman, and it gives me goosebumps. I think it's one of the most powerful scenes in the movie.

That, and when Hometree falls, and the poor Na'vi are wailing in pain.. by the time it gets to that point, you're so attached to them, it hurts you as well. :/

And it's hilarious, I forget how big they are until about the end of the movie when you're reminded. Hah!

Cause you know how much I loved staring at Mr. Manhattan for 3 hours with my dad sitting next to me. Not that I can speak on the subject of Avatar however, I'm seeing it tomorrow.

bobbio555 said:
Cause you know how much I loved staring at Mr. Manhattan for 3 hours with my dad sitting next to me. Not that I can speak on the subject of Avatar however, I'm seeing it tomorrow.

Hah, yeah. I understand it's awkward, I feel awkward seeing boobs on the big screen. It just really bothers me that society can't accept nudity in the artistic sense on the screen, y'know? Maybe it's 'cuz I'm an art major and I have to draw penises all the time. Rofl.

But: for those reading this whole naked rant from me, there's really not anything major. There are exposed butts, and technically, breasts, but they're not partying out in the open. The Na'vi wear necklaces that hang around that area. (Not like there are any visible parts on the breasts, if you know what I mean. It's like {Cortana's latex front on her costume.

Oddly enough, the males have nipples on their chests.. so I don't get it. But that's a rant for another day. Heh.

Or actually.. Hm. You may need to scratch that, but my reasoning would be a spoiler, so I shall be silent.

If anything the nudity was on a level similar to national geographic's depictions of tribal cultures.

Nothing to raise a big commotion, and it further sets them apart from the humans in the film.

I wasn't a fan of the storyline and felt it was pretty simplistic (Nature and natives good, technology and humans bad) and some of the dialogue was a bit awkward. But I agree with what the majority of reviewers seem to be saying in that the visuals more than make up for it and while nothing spectacular, the plot is adequate enough. Definitely a great film to just watch and soak in the visuals.

I do hope they make a trilogy out of it as the world and universe seem developed enough to warrant further exploring.

I saw it in both IMAX 3d and on a 2d regular theatre screen. IMAX 3d is definitely worth the extra price and I am very jealous of those of you who have fancy home theatre systems and blu-ray players as I don't think regular DVD on a small TV will do it justice.

From the previous posts, I'll probably have to see this in 3d. Quick question: would this be a good movie to take a girl out to on a date?

Cheers!

Sniperbaas392 said:
From the previous posts, I'll probably have to see this in 3d. Quick question: would this be a good movie to take a girl out to on a date?

Cheers!

If you want to pay attention to her...probably not. lol

The awe factor might overcome any chances of noticing anything happening irl for the duration of the movie.

I didn't actually find it all that spectacular. I thought it was a pretty neat movie, but not the most original. Other than that, I thought the visuals were pretty neat, and sometimes it looked realistic. The idea of the plants being capable of transmitting thought was pretty cool, and I thought that it made up for the cliché animals. All in all I found the movie worth seeing, if not without its flaws.

Wtfmfkr said:
If you want to pay attention to her...probably not. lol

The awe factor might overcome any chances of noticing anything happening irl for the duration of the movie.

lol

Thanks! I'll go see it with family or friends then, not a possible girlfriend. ;)

Thanks Again

movie awesome.. saw it today.. worth it for 3d for sure.. bring a girlfirend.. sure why not after just have a huge convo about what side you would pick.. hhow cool the electronis look... if you could jump into these other bodies and have fun... lots of stuff... just make sure to have a coffie shop close by to stop at and talk. 3 hr movie again is really worth it in 3d

bobbio555 said:
I thought it was a pretty neat movie, but not the most original.... the cliché animals.

What animals did you find cliché and unoriginal? I though they were very unique and imaginative.

Achille said:
What animals did you find cliché and unoriginal? I though they were very unique and imaginative.

Take 2 animals

Mash together

Add minor tweaks

One cliche animal for you.

I.E Rhinocerous + hammerhead shark

Tweak behaviour to that of a bull.

Panther + Turian

Add features of a dog.

I saw it on sunday and it is by far the best movie I have seen this year (though I never did see District 9). The 3D made it incredibly life-like. This is NOT your cheap theme-park 3D that leaves you nauseous afterwards. Nothing ever truly "pops" out at you, but rather the 3D gives it more depth, as though you are watching the movie through a window. The only things that seem to come out of the screen are particles, like ash or water droplets. I feel like this could make for a truly epic trilogy considering the detailed universe Cameron has created, but then again, this movie does hold a strong, however simplistic message on its own that could withstand as a classic should no other movies be made. The only downside I can see to this movie is that I will no longer be able to enjoy another normal film again solely due to the fact that it won't be in 3D, sorry Sherlock.

I agree with a lot of posts here. Great visuals and the 3D was amazing. I couldnt think of a better way to watch it. What I liked about the 3D was that it was done RIGHT; not like those movies where they just throw crap at the screen to try to get the cheap "wow" factor. The only downside to that is when it gets released on Blu-Ray/DVD. It just wont be the same on a tv :(

Other than that, I do believe the story was very predictable. It was like a futuristic Last Samurai with the nature element added :lol

I saw the Avatar in 3-D and let me tell you this movie was tripy, amazing, and all of the above! Man i tell you this movie changed the way i think about all of Mother-nature. Damn I want to see it again!

CommanderFluffy said:
movie awesome.. saw it today.. worth it for 3d for sure.. bring a girlfirend.. sure why not after just have a huge convo about what side you would pick.. hhow cool the electronis look... if you could jump into these other bodies and have fun... lots of stuff... just make sure to have a coffie shop close by to stop at and talk. 3 hr movie again is really worth it in 3d

I think it's a decent movie to take a girl out on a date with. It's got a cheesy little romance that's a big part of the plot. Not Titanic or Shakespeare, but good enough for a date. You're not taking her to saving private ryan or anything crazy like that...good all around enjoyable film.

Though on the topic of conversations over which side you'd pick...I was discussing this over a dinner date and I got a big 'ol death stare when I was chattering with my friend about how awesome loading a space shuttle with explosives and machine guns, giant mech suits, Colonel Quattrich, and blowing everything up was.

I love puppies, ponies, and cute little animals. I contribute to the ASPCA and try not to litter. But I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit I'd trade it all away to go waltzing around in my very own killer mech of destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back