Jun-A266 WIP & Augmented Reality System & AEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis2500

After a couple of previous threads that didn't get too far I've finally settled on an overal build and some main features to include. As the title suggests I plan on building the suit worn by Jun-A266 in halo reach. The armoured components of the suit will be 3D printed (as of yet undecided to print out of PLA or ABS. In addiction to this I intent to intergrate an augmented reality system into the suit.

As for the fabric parts of the suit, I have a question for you all. Jun has a very distinctive multicam shawl surrounding his neck, however it seems to be composed of two materials:
image.png

The material closer to the base of his neck looks more like a dark green canvas type material. Vaguely reminiscent of the original hood worn by Arrow in the DC tv show, and this got me thinking, is it possible that this upper part of the material is a hood?

Upon closer inspection the play arts minute actually reveals 3 layers of material, the raw mesh is exposed at the edges and in patches, the mesh is mostly covered by the ghillie material and then there's the hood. Thanks for the input razor Jun really does have a fantastic model.

Jun has a tactical pad on his wrist, I'm interested in exploring the functionality I can get out of this by mounting say an arduino in there linked to a screen of some sort, would be fairly easy to hook up a few sensors into the suit, eg, temperature, accelerometer, compass and display that info on the tac pad. In addition the reach suits have their night vision functionality. Unfortunately true IR cameras cost hundreds of pounds, however there is a cheap(er) solution, raspberry pi's can now use a near IR camera which could be used to emulate the effect of the night vision in reach. If anyone has any thoughts on functionalities or methods to impliment these features I'd really appreciate the feedback

Edit:
Just finished the CAD work for the handplate, here's the render of it:
Handplate_Jun v12.png

Will be printing this off tonight.

CAD design for the 14.5 Calibre bullets for Jun's shoulder piece:
shoulder_b v2.png

Sorry for the poor colouring, just chucking materials on I'm not very experienced with rendering.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Obviously its too early to really know, but you seem to know what you're doing, and I have a feeling this is going to be a really good build.

Good luck with the build ! Jun is one of my most favorite character in the series !

StayFrosty thanks, I hope it can live up to expectations.

Artifice I know, I absolutely love Jun too, I was wondering which suit to build and ended up playing reach and got to the sniper mission and then I knew I had too.

HeadLocks Thanks man

ConservaTom Thanks, I did the clone helmet for the episode 7 release.

Now, update time.

I've spent some time considering what I can use that already exists on the 405th database as most of it is low poly and not too good for 3d printing, however some pieces are still usable as I can increase the resolution.
So I took the Reach Male Torso V4 modelled and unfolded by L3X BLU3R1V3R, which is a fantastic model and exported into an OBJ format to let me work on it, I then imported the file into blender and cut out the entire torso apart from the spine (as that's the part I wanted from this file), then used subdivision to smooth the pieces out which I then sliced apart using Netfab.
The finished result:
Spine.PNG

Turned out I subdivided the surfaces so much that autodesk got confused on the edges and outlined all the composing triangles in black hence the weird appearance.
3D print.PNG

The 3D printing software provides a better view, so now I have to wait for these to finish in a black PLA.

Next up, I have some multicam mesh to make the shawl around Jun's shoulders out of so I'll work on a pattern for that soon and hopefully will be able to share that update this weekend.
I'm going to re-do the CAD for the handplate as it's not accurate enough for my liking (It doesn't conform to your hand it forms as a block which isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks for all the support, more updates soon.

"what, you don't like my cooking?"
that's a Jun quote, by the way.:D

great work! are you 3D printing all of the armor?

also, you will get a much nicer surface if you print the parts vertical.

mblackwell1002
Haha, thank you for the advice, I've only recently got the printer so I'm still learning, I guess printing it vertical adds more layers creating a higher resolution print?
And not everything is going to be 3D printed, some parts I'll probably make from EVA foam or the pepakura method, for example the boots I'll probably make from EVA due to how much of a beating they're likely to take.

Yeexsters
Thanks! Hope you enjoy watching, and they are fantastic pieces of kit, my only problem is I've had to learn CAD from scratch to be able to start using it.

Update time, I've made progress on the CAD models for the forearm, these aren't done yet as I have more details to add from reference pictures and a few details of my own. Unfortunately I couldn't find even roughly the right shade of green for Jun's armour so these are not rendered.
forearm.PNG
view_2.PNG

Edit:
Finished modelling, I think the model has enough detail now.
Jun Forearm (v26~recovered).png

Edit 2:
Shawl completed, I'll put one pic here, the rest you can find attached. Hope you all enjoy.
IMG-20170129-WA0002.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20170129-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170129-WA0001.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG-20170129-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20170129-WA0003.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG-20170129-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20170129-WA0004.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG-20170129-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20170129-WA0005.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
Does the shade really matter? I mean, you're probably going to have to paint the suit anyways, so will it make that much of a difference?

nemesis2500, if you sand the edges of the camo shawl with some 80 grit sandpaper, you can achieve a more rugged look. I think it would improve upon the look.

mblackwell1002 , thanks for the advice man, I'll take a look into doing some more work on it as you're right it would look better with a more rugged look.

Update time:
Finished the CAD modelling for the bicep:
Bicep.png

And then the add on to go on the left arm:
Bicep_Addon.png

I am aware it's missing 3 x sniper rounds, however the sniper rounds I modelled are inappropriate for this use as they are too large, I need to re-design the sniper bullets to a more appropriate scale, then I'll find a way to mount them on the add on piece (the reason for the detail on the inside of this piece is that is was modelled on the negative imprint of the bicep)
Then here's all the STL's imported into blender so I could see how it looks for now.
arms.PNG
arms_2.PNG

Hope y'all enjoy, thanks for the great feedback and advice!
Edit:
I'm in need of an opinion, which part of the suit would be best to model next? (apart from the helmet that's coming last due to it requiring the most skill to model)

I'd say the chest piece. the chest sometimes can be tricky, so you really want to get it out of the way before you get demotivated. Know what I mean?

also, would you post some of this awesome stuff as part of the FFA series? I've posted for it a lot, and it's basically a free High-Quality 3D models hub. We'd love to have your models in it.

Very awesome stuff and your modeling is looking great for being a novice. I don't know I find it daunting, I've tried several softwares and I just can't get it yet. Still have some more tutorials to look through, so kudos. Another note jun is my favorite character in reach, very cool to see a build of this caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back