Jun-A266 WIP & Augmented Reality System & AEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for his scarf/hood, cotton scrim net looks close to whatever he's wearing.
jun-a266-square-542x542-8576226f5a094ca2bcded1b5e2791267.jpg

scrim-net-scarf-529-p.jpg

Could also add burlap strings to it to make it more 'ghillie-like' or put in leaves between the netting. Whatever works.

I love how your HUD is turning out, with the near IR camera and other components. Have you considered attaching the helmet LEDs to the Raspberry Pi? You could even hook up a couple of PC fans to it, to activate automatically when your thermometer exceeds a certain amount. Man, I really need to buckle down and start a build so I can try this awesome tech in the future.

I'm back! It's been a little while so I shall placate you all with renders:
Torso_Front.jpg

Torso_Front_2.jpg

I did a little more work on the torso and I still have another little bit of work until it's finished, (the little bit between the torso and the ab-plate. Unfortunately school has started to catch up with exams drawing close so my progress is going to slow down, however, before I build the full suit I shall be making a 26" tall version of the suit to prototype fittings and how I'll put the suit together so when I do the actual suit it's as good as I can make it. Waiting on delivery for the model I'm mounting it on, it should arrive around this Thursday and then I can get scaling once that arrives.

Viridiana Sovari That looks like quite a nice HUD, I'm quite limited by my coding abilities and the processing capabilities of my hardware (the hardware I'll be mounting in the suit that is), so I don't think I'll do something that complex, the final design will resemble a halo reach HUD but will probably be simpler and will include some different information.

Noble44 I'm doing the HUD for fun so no need for the laser cut one, however the engravings on the one you posted the image on is a fantastic idea and I may use it in future. As for the cotton scrim net, that's another fantastic idea, and I'll almost certainly buy one and see what I can do with it.

Takanuva Thanks! And I hadn't actually thought about using it to trigger fans but that is a good idea and would actually be pretty easy to create.

Anyway, until next time, there's a few more renders attached (I didn't want to pic spam the post). Hope y'all enjoy, all feedback and comments are appreciated :D

Attachments

• Torso_Back.jpg
    Torso_Back.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Torso_Back_2.jpg
    Torso_Back_2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Torso_Side.jpg
    Torso_Side.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 291
Quick update, did finally finished all the torso detail (still open to adding more if people can point out where some is missing), but here's the updated section: (I added the little piece between the Ab-plate and torso
Centre torso.png

That's all for now, unfortunately the mannequin was mislabelled and turned out to be only 11", not 25/6, so a new one has been ordered at 20", should get here next Tuesday and I can start printing!
I also have a new piece for the scarf/hood in the post so I'll post images once I get my hands on that. Hope y'all enjoy, :D

Looking great! There is a little detail on the side of the thigh you forgot, it's right above the current side detail up in the empty spot. If you look up some reach thigh shots you'll see what I am blabbering about.
Anyways, three thumbs up man!

Just realised I'd never posted this clearly and I'd only mentioned authors and the compiled list was left in the credits of the zip I uploaded, so here's the list of parts of the suit and who the credit for the work belongs to:
Helmet - None in file yet
Torso & Ab-plate - nemesis2500
Codpiece - nemesis2500
Biceps - mblackwell1002
Forearm - nemesis2500 (these will be re modelled soon)
Thigh - Originally modelled by Spacemeat and modified for print by nemesis2500
Shin & Knee - nemesis2500
Boot - None in file yet (I know, I posted renders earlier, I haven't uploaded it yet :whistle:)
Handplate - Orginally modelled by Ruze789 and modified for print by nemesis2500

So a massive thank you to all the modellers of the pepakura files and to mblackwell1002 for his fantastic work on the bicep.

Thom A293 Thanks! The thigh's are currently in blender and unfortunately I don't have the skills to work on them, I'll be fully re modelling them in CAD in the future so I'll make sure to add it in then. :)

mblackwell1002 Thank you! Hopefully the little model arrives ASAP so I can get to work scaling and figure out the correct sizes of the pieces before I go full scale.

Do you have these pieces already cut for printing? I am having quite a bit of issue using blender and cutting things and then being able to print them out and to equal scale.

Advice?

I don't have them already cut, however I really wouldn't recommend blender to cut models up in, personally I use autodesk netfab basic, it's free and has a really good mesh cutting tool, if that doesn't work for you just shoot me a PM with your print bed size and I'll do my best.

(Also sorry for the long time no update having to sort some pesky life stuff out)

I don't have them already cut, however I really wouldn't recommend blender to cut models up in, personally I use autodesk netfab basic, it's free and has a really good mesh cutting tool, if that doesn't work for you just shoot me a PM with your print bed size and I'll do my best.

(Also sorry for the long time no update having to sort some pesky life stuff out)

Using the right tools might help. I'll give NetFab a shot and get back to you. Thanks!

Quick update, did finally finished all the torso detail (still open to adding more if people can point out where some is missing), but here's the updated section: (I added the little piece between the Ab-plate and torso
View attachment 241486
That's all for now, unfortunately the mannequin was mislabelled and turned out to be only 11", not 25/6, so a new one has been ordered at 20", should get here next Tuesday and I can start printing!
I also have a new piece for the scarf/hood in the post so I'll post images once I get my hands on that. Hope y'all enjoy, :D
Nice work on the torso. Been a while since I've been on, but you've been making a lot of good progress in the digital realm.

Right then. Update time:
Project 3 has begun. (The other two are the suit and augmented reality system)
So the plan is to build an airsoft BR85 (Halo 4 Battle Rifle), I've had this idea for a while but seeing the fantastic work being done by DeadzManWalking has kicked me into getting it done.
halo 4_ br.jpg

So that's the desired outcome, however I will be making some sacrifices, the iconic holosight on the BR is impractical and I don't have the skills to make one (open to suggestions if anyone does). And the magazine, there are two ways of doing this, one is custom magazines, the second is go for standard M4 magazines, in the interest of compatibility and ease of use I'm going for the latter, however, the rest of the rifle I will be making as accurate as possible.
Now then, internals, most of them I'll be recycling from a standard M4 airsoft rifle (which is currently firing at around 320 FPS). As this rifle is a bull pup design I'll be removing the trigger from the V2 gearbox and mounting it in the handle with the gearbox being situated in the rear of the gun, in addition a new barrel is needed, this will lower the FPS a bit but it shouldn't impact on performance, in addition the BR in halo fires in 3 round bursts, I aim to implement this via adding what's known as a MOSFET system, this should allow for burst control features and switching to full auto if needed.
internals.PNG

These are the internals that have been (roughly) modelled so far, the gearbox is lacking the motor and there are many little details I need to add to allow this to be useful in the rest of the CAD design for the rifle. So to give a better idea of how this is all going into the BR:
side view.PNG

The hop up unit is likely to require a custom feed as I'll be experimenting with scale and where to locate the components however it may be difficult to align the magazine without a feed leading from the magazine to the hop up.
The shell of the BR will be 3D printed, however as airsoft is a rough game and will put a lot of strain through the rifle I intend to add aluminium support tubes running through the print to reinforce the rifle and hopefully prevent breakage.

As for the armour, unfortunately it's still on standby, turns out the mannequin I ordered is in China, so I'm still waiting on delivery of it. (not going to make that mistake again)

Anyway, hope y'all enjoy. Any feedback is really appreciated :D

Nice! An aeg halo br. Great choice with m4 parts, they are pretty much the most common and easiest to get, I learned that when I got my ACR. That will have a little wonky feed system since the msg don't directly line up with the hop up unit, bit that shouldn't make to many issues. Niceness man!

Right then. Update time:
Project 3 has begun. (The other two are the suit and augmented reality system)
So the plan is to build an airsoft BR85 (Halo 4 Battle Rifle), I've had this idea for a while but seeing the fantastic work being done by DeadzManWalking has kicked me into getting it done.
View attachment 241988
So that's the desired outcome, however I will be making some sacrifices, the iconic holosight on the BR is impractical and I don't have the skills to make one (open to suggestions if anyone does). And the magazine, there are two ways of doing this, one is custom magazines, the second is go for standard M4 magazines, in the interest of compatibility and ease of use I'm going for the latter, however, the rest of the rifle I will be making as accurate as possible.
Now then, internals, most of them I'll be recycling from a standard M4 airsoft rifle (which is currently firing at around 320 FPS). As this rifle is a bull pup design I'll be removing the trigger from the V2 gearbox and mounting it in the handle with the gearbox being situated in the rear of the gun, in addition a new barrel is needed, this will lower the FPS a bit but it shouldn't impact on performance, in addition the BR in halo fires in 3 round bursts, I aim to implement this via adding what's known as a MOSFET system, this should allow for burst control features and switching to full auto if needed.
View attachment 241989
These are the internals that have been (roughly) modelled so far, the gearbox is lacking the motor and there are many little details I need to add to allow this to be useful in the rest of the CAD design for the rifle. So to give a better idea of how this is all going into the BR:
View attachment 241991
The hop up unit is likely to require a custom feed as I'll be experimenting with scale and where to locate the components however it may be difficult to align the magazine without a feed leading from the magazine to the hop up.
The shell of the BR will be 3D printed, however as airsoft is a rough game and will put a lot of strain through the rifle I intend to add aluminium support tubes running through the print to reinforce the rifle and hopefully prevent breakage.

As for the armour, unfortunately it's still on standby, turns out the mannequin I ordered is in China, so I'm still waiting on delivery of it. (not going to make that mistake again)

Anyway, hope y'all enjoy. Any feedback is really appreciated :D
Glad I could be of service lol.
Check the spacing with the motor. I originally was going to use a V2 gearbox on mine, but I wasn't really able to get the motor to fit. And the V3 saves the hassle of motor alignment. Also, you should be able to comfortably fit the AK style hopup in there. I show some cutaways of my feed system in my most recent post.

Also, measure your m4 mags before you base your design around it. You might be able to sneak in a VN style m4 mag, but it's kind of a tight fit. Best of luck!

DeadzManWalking Thanks, this is some really helpful advice, I think I've found a way to make a V2 fit and as I already own one I'll initially be trying with that however if it doesn't work out I'll probably switch to a V3 for the spacing and motor alignment benefits it provides. And yeah, currently I have a few Magpul hicap magazines from an old M4 but the VN style seems a lot more appropriate so I'll take a look.

Thom A293 Thanks, hopefully it'll work out, (otherwise I'll be stuck without an airsoft rifle). Alignment could be an issue in this build too as if my caliper measurements aren't nigh on perfect and the prints don't come out well then stuff could start getting very wonkey very quickly.

In the mean time, turns out the drawing I used in the canvas was out of scale, I measured the approximate length of the rifle only to find it was over a meter, well an AUG is only about 80cm, so something went wrong there, I've now acquired a new image for scaling and design as you can see here:
side view.PNG

Only problem is as DeadzManWalking rightly pointed out, the motor is cutting it VERY close, and this is still a meter long, so I'll have to modify the stock design a little from the artwork but other than that it all lines up fairly nicely, so the next step it to get a mosfet unit, a battery and a new trigger mechanism and get that modelled into the file, then we can get measurements of cables and lengths so we can cut channels in for cables to run and some for metal supports to sit in. In addition I need to figure out how to mount a ris rail to a 3D printed part (securely) so that's going to require a bit of thought, then there's the consideration of weighting, ideally a rifle should have a centre of mass located around the handle of the rifle (I think, if I'm wrong someone please tell me :D ). So as this is going to be a very back heavy rifle (with the large chunk of metal that the gearbox and motor are in the back) we'll have to counterbalance it, IE. the battery will probably be situated towards the front of the rifle and we may even add in additional weights to improve the feel of the rifle. And because I'm growing more and more attached to that scope style I'm looking into how holosights function to see if we can't modify one a little.

It would be spending some money, but you could buy a different gearbox she'll, one that is more for dmrs. I think it's the v7? I could be 100% wrong though, I know it's one of the v's.

Knew I had this somewhere:
gearbox versions.jpg

So I believe it's a V4 gearbox that snipers use, however being the cheapskate I am I'll stick to my V2 and if it doesn't pack enough punch I can always upgrade it.

Edit: A quick update on the modelling process, I've begun to bulk out the shape of the rifle:
V2 Gearbox v35.png

Last edited:
Well, this is my first proper update on the AEG.
So the bulk of the modelling on the rifle is done:
V2 Gearbox v78.png

I'm aware there's a lot of detail to add still so I'll be slowly going through the model adding every piece of detail I can find. There's a few inaccuracies from the game model but in general I think it's pretty accurate.
Hope ya'll enjoy, I'll be back with more progress soon. :D

Edit:
I think I've finished on the detail, (I just know now that I've said that I'm going to keep on seeing more details I have to add). So here's the first render I've got off, more coming tomorrow!
V2_Gearbox_2017-Apr-12_10-00-08PM-000_CustomizedView19781923214.png

(mblackwell1002 before you even start on the colour it is in white it just appears the cloud servers didn't get the message ;) )

Edit 2:
As promised here's a couple more renders
V2_Gearbox_2017-Apr-13_02-01-32PM-000_CustomizedView30040001958.png

V2_Gearbox_2017-Apr-13_02-01-53PM-000_CustomizedView6831465143.png

Last edited:
Could also mount magnetic reed switch at back of helmet with a magnet attached to a neck warmer. Makes putting on helmet easier, and turns on helmet electronics only when you put it on.
4758514_black_1_1_1.jpg

Maybe style a small flexible fridge magnet like a neural interface
latest?cb=20150501062831.png

Just some ideas I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back