JUSTINIAN 117's MARK V BUILD

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh WOW! Those pieces look like they were factory made! Great job!
That was the idea that I was going for. Glad you like it.
Great looking suit! Clean and great paint. I love it. I hope you will make some more Halo armors. :)
I will most definitely be making more Halo armor, and other props. I just need to finish this build, and then I plan on cranking them out pretty quick.

Really amazing suit you have comming along there. It's not often you see original CE Mark V's around here. Also really diggin the paintjob, very accurate to the shade of the chief's suit. Awesome work, can't wait to see more :D

Really amazing suit you have comming along there. It's not often you see original CE Mark V's around here. Also really diggin the paintjob, very accurate to the shade of the chief's suit. Awesome work, can't wait to see more :D

yeah, wtf? how did you find such a perfect paint? was it at your work?

Hey can you show how you did your original helmet?

It was built from scratch, and I was too rushed to take pictures. Sorry. I made it out of plastic that was cut into the right shape and glued it together. Think of it as the foam method, only with plastic, and I didn't have any pep templates to go off of.

yeah, wtf? how did you find such a perfect paint? was it at your work?
After searching for years to find the correct color I decided that I they don't make a color that I thought looked close enough. I went to an auto paint store and had a custom color mixed. I am really pleased with the color.

Update time!

I started out with the basic shape of the shins. Laser cut acrylic and bent to the desired shape:
100_1298.jpg

The bottom side part of the shin:
100_1299.jpg

All 4 bent sides for the shins:
100_1300.jpg

The shins put together so far:
100_1301.jpg

After this I will work on the knee cap.

For a second i was like thats a stupid looking visor.. then i saw it was your shins build then i was like, Omg thats awesome, lasers ftw!

I am extremely jealous of the level of smoothness. I'd have to spend countless hours trying to get it to look like that... oh wait I did spend countless hours but not those results. Amazing stuff man!

Wow is that one of those, like 25,000$ laser printer things? Sorry if that already has been asked, I just had to ask it myself... Anyway your work is totally awsome! Id say its one of the smoothest suits I've ever seen! Great job man...

For a second i was like thats a stupid looking visor.. then i saw it was your shins build then i was like, Omg thats awesome, lasers ftw!
I guess if you don't know exactly what you are looking at it could be confusing. Once I get some primer on it, it will look better. The laser is my favorite tool.

Wow is that one of those, like 25,000$ laser printer things? Sorry if that already has been asked, I just had to ask it myself... Anyway your work is totally awsome! Id say its one of the smoothest suits I've ever seen! Great job man...
It is a laser, that cuts and engraves. I work at a sign business, so I can use it when I need to. They are very expensive, but they do amazing work. Hopefully I will get a video or some pictures up of it in action.

The smoothness comes from hours and hours of sanding.

Glad you guys like it.

Another update!

I designed the knee caps and cut out the plastic:
100_1303.jpg

Then I glued the sides together:
100_1304-1.jpg

After it was glued together I sanded the sides down to give it a smoother look:
100_1306.jpg

I built up the bondo and sanded it smooth for the cap part:
100_1305.jpg

Here it is with both parts of the knee cap put together:
100_1307.jpg

Once I put these on the rest of the shin I will put it in primer, and the detail will stand out much better.
Stay tuned for more.

Absolutely beautiful armor....wish my mark V could look this good... any suggestions for the thighs other that packing on the bondo then sanding over and over again? also suggestions for getting the 'raised' effect you have done so well with the plastics?

Absolutely beautiful armor....wish my mark V could look this good... any suggestions for the thighs other that packing on the bondo then sanding over and over again? also suggestions for getting the 'raised' effect you have done so well with the plastics?
Thanks for liking this. As long as you take your time and really try to get everything perfect, yours can come out just as good as mine.

For the raised detail, plastic or some other material will give you the best results. I have seen a lot of people use craft foam for the raised details. Modeling clay is how a lot of people "sculpt" their parts. It is very expensive, and you have to make molds and stuff for it, but the quality is good.
I am not good with clay, I am better with bondo, so I prefer to build up the bondo and "sculpt" the right shape by sanding it down. It is time consuming, but I don't have to make molds, and bondo is only $20.00 per gallon. It is different, but it works great for me. It just takes time to learn the best way for you to make things.

Now for another update.

This is the top part of the shins, that goes behind the knee cap. Here is the laser cutting out the sintra for me:
100_1318-1.jpg

Here are the individual pieces on the table:
100_1319.jpg

I super glued all of the pieces together:
100_1320.jpg

Then I used a router to give it a perfectly rounded edge:
100_1318.jpg

Now I just need to heat it up and bend it to fit on the shins, and then the finishing sanding.
Yay :D I can finally see the finish line!

*SIGH* Much jealousness. I'm about halfway done with my mk V... and that's a very generous "halfway". I love your build though. It's cool to see it being built by non-conventional methods (by this site's standard). Love the quality too. Looks like armor fresh off the assembly line from the depths of the Damascus Materials Testing Facility on Chi Ceti 4. Can't wait to see it done!

Been a while since I last visited you're build you come along ways since then. Needless to say you're still doing a epic job. It's near perfect finish and the materials being used make it stand out, and in some cases far above others of the same type build. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back