1st Build JustinIsTree's Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back, baby
After taking a long break because of my PETG struggles, I've decided to switch back to PLA and just continue on with my build. I want, no, NEED to complete this build. Here is the upper back piece:

20230110_130938.jpg

honestly pla will probably be fine as long as you don't leave it in your car on a hot day, cant wait to see how it turns out.

honestly pla will probably be fine as long as you don't leave it in your car on a hot day, cant wait to see how it turns out.
Yeah I had the same thought- just gotta be a little bit more careful. I decided I'm done with putting off the project just because I can't print with PETG.

The upper back piece is now finished! I taped together the pieces for now to get an idea of how well they fit together and how it looks on me.

20230116_125007.jpg
20230116_124956.jpg

It's exciting to finally be able to wear the chest piece without having to hold it on! I gave my printer a day break but today it's back at it with printing the torso side piece to complete the entire torso/back piece.

20230116_124731.jpg

JFO gang gang! If you're super worried about the heat using PLA+ will give you more heat resistance but essentially prints the same as PLA. Would recommend

Tree log star date 100712.47:
About a week ago, the ODST shoulder piece was successfully printed (scaled up x=106.82%, y=102.7%, z=120% to match my bicep piece)
20230211_132839.jpg

Then just this morning the Commando Shoulder was done, and I was so excited to finally have both done so I taped them to the biceps to see the scaling. I'm very happy with how they've turned out.

20230211_132847.jpg
20230211_132829.jpg

Question for people who have printed their armor- how to you usually attach your shoulder pieces to the bicep pieces? I'd figure velcro might be common but I'm not sure how well that would hold up for such a tall commando shoulder piece.

Next step is the waist and then the lower body! Upper body complete (printing-wise... still gotta start the rest of the prepping obviously.

Tree log star date 100712.47:
About a week ago, the ODST shoulder piece was successfully printed (scaled up x=106.82%, y=102.7%, z=120% to match my bicep piece)
View attachment 327844

Then just this morning the Commando Shoulder was done, and I was so excited to finally have both done so I taped them to the biceps to see the scaling. I'm very happy with how they've turned out.

View attachment 327845View attachment 327846

Question for people who have printed their armor- how to you usually attach your shoulder pieces to the bicep pieces? I'd figure velcro might be common but I'm not sure how well that would hold up for such a tall commando shoulder piece.

Next step is the waist and then the lower body! Upper body complete (printing-wise... still gotta start the rest of the prepping obviously.
I like magnets I bought some off amazon, but my commando shoulder was too heavy, so I regretfully had to glue it on (petg is heavier than pla and i printed way to many wall layers on that one) , but all my other shoulder pieces are magnets.

Yeah, like Kahn 319 said, i've seen lot fo people use magnets for attachments. i've also seen people use them in such a manner where they get some element of modularity in their armour, allowing them to easily swap out attachments and armour pieces if they print off and make more. beyond that, i've seen people glue pieces together using all forms of adhesives, i've seen people print the pieces together all in one go, as well as other ways. another popular way i've seen is using snaps, but i've heard its difficult to rivet them into the plastic without structural damage.

Yeah, like Kahn 319 said, i've seen lot fo people use magnets for attachments. i've also seen people use them in such a manner where they get some element of modularity in their armour, allowing them to easily swap out attachments and armour pieces if they print off and make more. beyond that, i've seen people glue pieces together using all forms of adhesives, i've seen people print the pieces together all in one go, as well as other ways. another popular way i've seen is using snaps, but i've heard its difficult to rivet them into the plastic without structural damage.
it is really cool to be able to just swap out shoulder pieces on the fly adds alot of customization options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back