Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I do indeed have anouther question, does this 3D frame model look like it will be strong enough for road and moderate offroad usage?
framepicks.jpg

The pipes are all going to be 10 gauge(1/8 in thick), with the smaller pipes being 1" square tubing while the cabin roll cage tubes are 1x3". I plan on adding plenty of supports for the outlying 1" tubes, connecting them to the frame. The total body length is 13 feet and 5 1/2 feet wide. With these specs, the body should only cost me $150.

I wish that i could start out with a vehicle, but as said earlier, I wont have the funding to buy a vehicle anytime in the next half a year. To accomodate for the variables, I'm making this so that it has high part clearances (hence why the hood looks like a ring) to accomidate for any unforseen things. And if they still arn't the right size, I can lengthen or shorten it easily (cut and weld).
Thanks for the help:)
-Gryphon

PS: your warthog build would classify as a specially constructed vehicle, you can read more about it here at the DMV web site

I love this thread. This project is coming out very nice. I can't wait to see it finished.

I almost started to build one at the beginning of 2009, but at the last minute I decided it wouldn't be a good idea. Eventually I will get around to making one though.

Thi is the thing that has to last, none of it can be rushed.
it would suck more if this failed while being used than when a suit falls apart.

I'm actually planning to build a hog too. I'm looking at a bronco instead of a chevy though. Can't find the vehicle unfortunately. how far are you on this?

Well I do indeed have anouther question, does this 3D frame model look like it will be strong enough for road and moderate offroad usage?
framepicks.jpg

The pipes are all going to be 10 gauge(1/8 in thick), with the smaller pipes being 1" square tubing while the cabin roll cage tubes are 1x3". I plan on adding plenty of supports for the outlying 1" tubes, connecting them to the frame. The total body length is 13 feet and 5 1/2 feet wide. With these specs, the body should only cost me $150.

I wish that i could start out with a vehicle, but as said earlier, I wont have the funding to buy a vehicle anytime in the next half a year. To accomodate for the variables, I'm making this so that it has high part clearances (hence why the hood looks like a ring) to accomidate for any unforseen things. And if they still arn't the right size, I can lengthen or shorten it easily (cut and weld).
Thanks for the help:)
-Gryphon

PS: your warthog build would classify as a specially constructed vehicle, you can read more about it here at the DMV web site

Looking it over I did a couple of twigs to the drawing in paint, It is below. Just remember to focus on the main cab area crash wise, I think i will need a few more braces. On the ft of the frame work you need to consider the ft transmission tunnel in your design. As far as wheelbase scaling i went with the Blazer K-5 at first but knew if needed Bronco or Ram Charger would fit. I i did it from scratch again i would probably go with a short wheelbase pickup. They are not that much longer and there is more to choose from. That way when your go looking you can find a donor easier.

5234626858_0d17bcf88a_o.jpg

Its odd. I just read this, and I've had many of the same ideas you've used.

Feel free to ask questions and discuss. What is what the thread is for, or just pm me. I am a firm believer that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Ahh, didnt think about the clearance for a transmission tunnel, thanks for tipping me off about that. Anyway, my plans for this is to add more supports to this as my budget allows, this will include the side impact bracing as well. The way the current design is laid out, Ill have just enough money to fund this portion of the frame.
I'll be making this frame in my fabrication class, then I'll get a summer job to buy a vehicle, and then use my year long autotech class to splice the frame and the chassis together. Theres alot of vehicles out there, and with my dimensions I should be able to find one that fits. If not, then its nothing that a angle grinder and a mig welder cant fix. I didnt CAD the brace plates because they cause too much clutter and can be easily added on the spot.
Thanks for the help.
-Gryphon

I do have a few questions about your project, actually. I'll be starting college in the fall, and I won't have a whole lot of money. I've got around 800 saved up for a project, and I'm looking at a 1987 Bronco. THe guy wants 1200, and the heating core is shot, and the left rear wheel is missing all the lug nuts. Other than that, the engine sounds good. Its the big v8 from 1987. How much do tou think that your hog will have cost at the end?

I also have a suggestion. For the body panels, you could possibly reuse the metal from an old truck body. You can cut each piece separately and weld it to the frame, then grind off the ridges between panels, or you could weld them, and bondo and sand after. Just a suggestion; i don't know what you're doing with the bodies of your donor vehicles. But I think that might be a bit cheaper than using all the foam that it'll take to cover your mesh. It's what I'm planning on doing.
Also, what are you going to do about engine access? Will you make the front section removable, or will there be removable panels underneath, or what? My idea was to have the front section, near the cab area, rest on the frame under the windshield frame separately. Then the front section can be removed if the front is only bolted on, not welded. That's a bit confusing.... Uhm... THink of how a semi hood is set up. THat's what i mean. Just wondering what your plan is?

I am really impressed with your progress. It looks good, really good. I'm glad that someone finally decided to actually do it instead of talk about it.

I do have a few questions about your project, actually. I'll be starting college in the fall, and I won't have a whole lot of money. I've got around 800 saved up for a project, and I'm looking at a 1987 Bronco. THe guy wants 1200, and the heating core is shot, and the left rear wheel is missing all the lug nuts. Other than that, the engine sounds good. Its the big v8 from 1987. How much do tou think that your hog will have cost at the end?

I also have a suggestion. For the body panels, you could possibly reuse the metal from an old truck body. You can cut each piece separately and weld it to the frame, then grind off the ridges between panels, or you could weld them, and bondo and sand after. Just a suggestion; i don't know what you're doing with the bodies of your donor vehicles. But I think that might be a bit cheaper than using all the foam that it'll take to cover your mesh. It's what I'm planning on doing.
Also, what are you going to do about engine access? Will you make the front section removable, or will there be removable panels underneath, or what? My idea was to have the front section, near the cab area, rest on the frame under the windshield frame separately. Then the front section can be removed if the front is only bolted on, not welded. That's a bit confusing.... Uhm... THink of how a semi hood is set up. THat's what i mean. Just wondering what your plan is?

I am really impressed with your progress. It looks good, really good. I'm glad that someone finally decided to actually do it instead of talk about it.

1200 sounds high since you won't be using most of the body. I only paid 500 for mine, i could of gotten one for 200 to 300 running but no title. So even if later on i had to buy the hunting camp special for parts i would be money ahead. In 87 i think the biggest engine you could get is 5.8 / 351 w v8, a few trucks got the 460 cid big block but i don't think it was available in the bronco.

I am hoping to have the project under 5 to 6 grand total when finished, if you added up my time it would be more.

I can use some of the metal off the old truck body, BUT most of it has curves that don't match the warthog, new flat sheet metal would be better. The foam isn't that expensive and is easy to work with, i have seen whole bodies made from it. I haven't used it alot on big pieces so it's just some experimenting i am doing right now. Main thing i will be working on now is to get the new chassis prepped and fit the warthog body. Then do the rest of my braces. When i can test drive it like that, it will be ready for body panels.

What you are talking about is a flip ft end, i plan on using something close to that. What i have on the ft now is going to be the cradle of my flit ft end. I plan to take 1" x 1" and make the hood area over what i have now. I will have side plates that will be removable if needed.

I see you only have three posts and want to see someone do it rather than talk. You must of not seen this yet, http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/13960-Fan-Film-Operation-Chastity-405Th-Related-Information Peter has one done, main body. He is still working on the rest of it.

On searching for a new bronco have you looked at craigslist yet? This search engine works wonders for quick searching. www.craigzoom.com

Yeah, the 1200 was pretty high. I found an 86 for 800. Its in better shape, and more along the type I was looking at (i originally had an 83 picked out, but had no money by the time they sold). This one is the 351W too.
The 5-6 grand, does that include the turret?

I can see how that would be a problem... I just haven't seen or heard much about foam like that, so I didn't know if it was expensive or what.

Yeah, the flip front. I couldn't get the name out.. Will the windshield be directly attached to the hood section and flip with it? Or will there be a cut-around of the windshield, so the hood opens around it? Your idea is quite a bit better than mine was... mine was th entire front section flipping up, not like a car hood, more like a semi.

The Operation Chasity Hog? I've seen it, but thanks. It's what inspired me to make one.
What size and type of steel are you using for the basic frame? I'm sorry about all the questions, I hope they aren't bothering you... Your 'hog looks amazing, it really does. I can't wait to see it done.

One more question... I read that you're waiting to get larger axles to make the 4 wheel steering. How are you planning to do that? Are you using 2 front 4x4 axles? Or something else?

Yeah, the 1200 was pretty high. I found an 86 for 800. Its in better shape, and more along the type I was looking at (i originally had an 83 picked out, but had no money by the time they sold). This one is the 351W too.

I can see how that would be a problem... I just haven't seen or heard much about foam like that, so I didn't know if it was expensive or what.

Yeah, the flip front. I couldn't get the name out.. Will the windshield be directly attached to the hood section and flip with it? Or will there be a cut-around of the windshield, so the hood opens around it? Your idea is quite a bit better than mine was... mine was th entire front section flipping up, not like a car hood, more like a semi.

The Operation Chasity Hog? I've seen it, but thanks. It's what inspired me to make one.
What size and type of steel are you using for the basic frame? I'm sorry about all the questions, I hope they aren't bothering you... Your 'hog looks amazing, it really does. I can't wait to see it done.

One more question... I read that you're waiting to get larger axles to make the 4 wheel steering. How are you planning to do that? Are you using 2 front 4x4 axles? Or something else?

Glad to see you found something cheaper. My limit was around 600 on what i wanted to spend. Why it took so long to find one just right.

Yes. The turret it's self i have the metal for already except the plate. I need to get one sheet of diamond plate for the rear floor bed and for the base of the turret it's self. As for the gun i got killbuckets/air-sharp mini gun plans as a basis and i am modding them for my needs.

Here is a very good use of foam if you want to check it out. Besides consoles and few other parts i haven't used it much. So i still need practice with it.
http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2008/05/29/lithuanians-and-pu-foam/

Will the windshield be directly attached to the hood section and flip with it? Or will there be a cut-around of the windshield

The windshield will be permant mount with the "cut around" section on the ft. I ran out of 2" x 2" steel so i didn't do it yet. But i have enough to do it now in the shop. Your full flip ft end will work, mine just isn't designed like that.

What size and type of steel are you using for the basic frame?

I am using basic steel. .125 inch thick, 2" x 2" square tube, 1" x 1" square tube and 2" x 4" rectangular tube.

I'm sorry about all the questions, I hope they aren't bothering you..

Not at all, we are all her to learn. I have redone several cars, but this is my first all custom build.

I was going to do that later on on the blazer chassis, but that basic idea won't work on this year model bronco with out major mods to the frame. It would work on a 1979 or older bronco, there frame is more like the blazers frame with a solid axle ft and rear. For a cheap 4 wheel steer you would have to use two ft axles. The ft axle in the rear would have to have it's ring and pinion changed. The ft axle ring and pinion is reverse cut compared to the rear axle's ring and gear. So if you didn't change it. reverse would be forward and forward reverse. Then you would have to redo you lines for your steering and maybe go to a bigger pump to move it all. You could reuse the power steering cylinder but you would have to make new brackets to relocate it. To run in on the street you would have to have a way to shut the rear steer off and then have a place to pin the steering straight for normal road use. Right now i am not going to worry about 4 wheel steer and just make it ft wheel steer. If i get the parts, time and money later on i may do it though.

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! The big question though, is would it uphold against accidents?

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! The big question though, is would it uphold against accidents?

I am hoping it will in case that ever happens. Why i have been taking my time to get the cage right.

"Bountyknight"

I am on my way from work in Dubai right now. Give me some time to get a late Christmas done with my kids and there will be some updating going on. I feel the sawzall will be coming out of it's plastic cradle soon. Also going to test out a little more foam work, and fiberglass one part to see how it's going to hold up, hit it hammer test, etc. Don't want it falling apart.

"gakkengod"

Have you decided on your your chassis yet? or wanting to do a custom build chassis? I like the bronco and blazer (plus the ram charger) chassis, BUT if i was to start the body from scratch again i would get a short wheel base truck (fullsize) to start with. Just because of the slightly longer wheel base. I really could of used it in the interior area. I know it looks like i have plenty of room, but when the dash, console, etc is in there the space will disappear quickly.

"gakkengod"

Have you decided on your your chassis yet? or wanting to do a custom build chassis? I like the bronco and blazer (plus the ram charger) chassis, BUT if i was to start the body from scratch again i would get a short wheel base truck (fullsize) to start with. Just because of the slightly longer wheel base. I really could of used it in the interior area. I know it looks like i have plenty of room, but when the dash, console, etc is in there the space will disappear quickly.

no still in the reasearch and developement phase as well as resourse aquirement. but mostly looking in the line of fords(kinda my fathers thing.)

Also if you need information on how to make the dash more realistic to the warthog, i can steer you in the right direction so you wont have to go hunting.

I'm curious. Have you given thought to chevy's 5.3Ltr V8. It's quite compact and has some decent Horsepower to boot. I used to run around in chevy 1500 with the 5.3 and an Allison Trannie. I put that little guy in low and I'd would never get bogged down. I worked in construction and it was great to haul trailered Bobcats and small excavator equipment. My fuel mileage was around 17 - 20 a gal dry and 12 - 15 laoded. Dunno if anyone has brought the idea up or not, I'm not too good with talking "car", but I try. Just an Idea.

I'm curious. Have you given thought to chevy's 5.3Ltr V8. It's quite compact and has some decent Horsepower to boot. I used to run around in chevy 1500 with the 5.3 and an Allison Trannie. I put that little guy in low and I'd would never get bogged down. I worked in construction and it was great to haul trailered Bobcats and small excavator equipment. My fuel mileage was around 17 - 20 a gal dry and 12 - 15 laoded. Dunno if anyone has brought the idea up or not, I'm not too good with talking "car", but I try. Just an Idea.

The 5.3 is a good engine, but since i now have swapped to the ford chassis i am just going to use the 351m or 302 i have already in the shop. The engine plate on the bronco says it was a factory 351m, but the guy i got it from was putting a 302 in it. I have to see if he swapped out the transmissions, if not the 302 won't bolt up, the 351 m has the big block 429/460 bell house pattern. I have the 35 inch tires and rims to put on it already. Just got to get the legal paper work finished before i break the sawzall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back