Luka's new ODST Build

Lukavago

BMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S404
Hello 405th!

Let's not beat around the bush, you know what you're here for.
20230320_192136.jpg

So here it is! I can't even call it the first print of this build, but it's the first big milestone, and the first time I did a bucket as a single print. Gotta say, I'm a little addicted. Now for some glamor shots of it off the bed and with the initial cleanup.
20230320_234622.jpg
20230320_234628.jpg
20230320_234633.jpg
20230320_234643.jpg

There is a fairly large layer shift towards the bottom, but I'm betting a lot of blood sweat and tears that I can fix it. I pray I'm right....

And now to unfairly compare it to my other bucket!
20230320_234716.jpg

Join me next time as I whine about things that are my fault but that I'm going to blame TurboCharizard for anyways.

There's a little bit up at the front of the helmet on the second to last photo that looks like daylight is shining through, does your print have a thin spot there? If it does, bust out the epoxy to flood it and then fibreglass back everything like you usually would.

Also I will take the blame in exchange for seeing Luka in a new ODST this June.

There's a little bit up at the front of the helmet on the second to last photo that looks like daylight is shining through, does your print have a thin spot there? If it does, bust out the epoxy to flood it and then fibreglass back everything like you usually would.

Also I will take the blame in exchange for seeing Luka in a new ODST this June.
There are many thin spots, I was just wondering what I was gonna do with them. For now, prints are staying mostly raw, I'm trying to rush the actual printing and get all of my real life work done. Also, don't have epoxy atm, suggestions on flavors?

There are many thin spots, I was just wondering what I was gonna do with them. For now, prints are staying mostly raw, I'm trying to rush the actual printing and get all of my real life work done. Also, don't have epoxy atm, suggestions on flavors?
I'm a sucker for the DevCon 5 minute stuff for the price per volume and the convenient bottles in the workshop but for travel size the Gorilla double syringes stuff is great too.

Dang the overhangs must of been killer to print out in one piece
Not really! They didn't even have all that much support either! Except for the layer shift and a print failure caused by a tangled spool, I didn't have any issues with the print.

Hello 405th!

Let's not beat around the bush, you know what you're here for.
View attachment 329248
So here it is! I can't even call it the first print of this build, but it's the first big milestone, and the first time I did a bucket as a single print. Gotta say, I'm a little addicted. Now for some glamor shots of it off the bed and with the initial cleanup.
View attachment 329249View attachment 329250View attachment 329251View attachment 329252
There is a fairly large layer shift towards the bottom, but I'm betting a lot of blood sweat and tears that I can fix it. I pray I'm right....

And now to unfairly compare it to my other bucket!
View attachment 329253

Join me next time as I whine about things that are my fault but that I'm going to blame TurboCharizard for anyways.
Great looking print! I can't wait to see it finished!

Not really! They didn't even have all that much support either! Except for the layer shift and a print failure caused by a tangled spool, I didn't have any issues with the print.
OOO good to know! Was thinking about doing an ODST so now I know its good to print in one piece! Thank you!

OOO good to know! Was thinking about doing an ODST so now I know its good to print in one piece! Thank you!
It is a seven day print, and involves 1.5kg of filament, so you'll have to do a hot swap partway through. You can see where mine was from the color shift. I'm not telling you to not do it, I'm just saying this is a higher level print, and involves a lot of trust in your machines.

It is a seven day print, and involves 1.5kg of filament, so you'll have to do a hot swap partway through. You can see where mine was from the color shift. I'm not telling you to not do it, I'm just saying this is a higher level print, and involves a lot of trust in your machines.
That's a lot of filament, I'm glad mine were able to finish in under a kilo! Even the 11 day GUNGNIR was sub kilo, just by a hair though! I also always recommend against doing helmets in one go. I will however continue to do it!

Alright, time to show y'all what all I actually have done, including a secret project that I've been working on for a while.
20230325_185956.jpg

so obviously we have the helmet, boot plates, and SOCOM finished, the elbow armor and some parts of a DMR are laying about, and an 405th ODST flag that I've sewn up. Do you want your own sewn flag? Take my advice and DON'T DO IT!!!! Oh gods was it hard.... and it's a lot less pretty up close. Worse for me? It's not even done!!! Excuse me while I go check on my gauntlets and cry for my suffering.

update time!

The pile grows!
20230411_160521.jpg

So what's different? A LOT of smoothing work, and the thigh armor, plus one more thigh piece that's hanging out in the garage while it off gases all the fun bondo chems. The forearms are also glued and strapped, while the shoulders are waiting for paint before their final assembly. Printer is currently down for the count while I figure out why I can't change my offset, I'm very annoyed with it. But up next is all of the waist armor bits, followed by the shins. The time crunch isn't here yet, but it's coming. 72 days until I have to wear this armor because Turbo is really REALLY good at peer pressure. He told me that ALL the cool kids are doing it! ALL of them!!! And I still haven't decided which version of the chest piece I'm gonna print.... -sigh-

I really need to give y'all updates more than once a month.... oh well! Let's start with a brief overview as to why it took me a month to post an update. Last time I told you my printer was broken. Now I'll tell you that I spent three weeks troubleshooting and fixing things. Turns out that Creality's firmware is garbage, along with a bunch of other small things I won't bore you with. Still, I've made progress!

"Shut up Luka! Show us the pile!!!"

Sheesh, y'all are impatient... but fine.
20230517_151625.jpg

Alright, what's new for y'all? Both calves, shins, knees, and the second thigh are now finished, everything else y'all have seen. I've still got to do a lot of smoothing work (duh) and finally get to the painting work. I think I'm gonna con a couple folk into giving me a hand there, we'll see. Now, what's next and how much is left?

20230517_151734.jpg

This is all of the belt and hip bits. The hip plates, the belt buckle, the lower back plate. It's a lot, but I really don't mind doing big complicated prints. After this will be all the stomach armor, the chest armor, and the back plates. That's right helljumpers! I have four prints left! After that I'll start printing out the DMR, but I've already got a SOCOM, so I'm not worried if I don't get it printed in time. I do want to build a custom undersuit, but not a single chance in any reality that's happening in time, so I'll be reusing the grey BDU's I wore with the last suit. I should wash those again....

One last little thing. ImBlaze designed a logo that I've had rolling around in my head for over a year now. He was bored, and my idea was simple enough. So ladies and gentlemen, please bring your hands and tentacles together for my new spartan logo!
IMG_0394.jpg

I'm gonna give it some color (Blaze did that, but I want something without red, Blue Team best team!) so expect to see this again later, but different.

Alright, that's your update for the time being. I will do my absolute best to not wait a month before I give you another one.

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back