MacBook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh...and all I've ever used is a Mac. HDD capacity is low and it uses the same crappy integrated graphics chipset as the Macbook. I'll stick with my Macbook Pro and flat panel iMac till something better comes out. I guess I was disappointed because I was hoping for a Mac tablet with touch capabilities.

One thing I dont get though, why does apple sell laptops with low specs for such high prices? I could buy 2-3 laptops for the price of one macbook.

Unique Name said:
Yeah, that's pretty much ridiculous that it doesn't have a disc drive. I mean, seriously, a CD drive would do nothing more than make the front the same thickness as the back, which in my book (or notebook heh heh) is definitely a good thing. I don't like wedge-shaped notebooks. Adn only 3 ports, wtf? Only one USB? What if I want to plug in a mouse and my iPod at the same time?

This is like the iPod touch. Sounds cool, but is almost completely useless for anything but the specific cool part.
Dude the iPod touch is amazing! Once you've jailbroken it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MaShEdPOTaToEs said:
Dude the iPod touch is amazing! Once you've jailbroken it.
February apple will make the ipod touch work with all third party apps. Screw buying 20 dollars worth of stuff, i'll just third party it all.

"oh look it fits in a mail envelope"

Also, how is that DVD drive working without a power source? Using power from USB to run a disc drive will kill your battery.

So many mac haters. Wow.

I think they should have focused on making a scaled-up iTouch, but this laptop is great for one reason:
it pushes technology forward.

Without progress, you'd have the same old **** year after year after year..
I know a lot of programmers who have stagnated with their thinkpads and their favourite distro of linux.
I know a lot of college kids who have stagnated with their shitty-looking home-built PC or the latest plastic contraption from Dell.

This is:
-the thinnest laptop.
-the first major laptop with a solid-state hard drive

That said, it does have some flaws.. but they are accounted for.
-no disc drive. simple external one solves that, though IMHO it should snap on and off the main laptop
-no user-replaceable battery. replacements are the same price as macbooks', and it will use less power due to the LED backlighting and the solid-state hard drive.

Overall, it's too expensive, but bleeding-edge tech always is.

Now where's my half-pound mactablet with a touchscreen interface and user-configurable keyboard?

How does out dated tech in a thin case make tech push forward?

Look at the Asus Eee, it has decent specs, and it's freakin tiny. No one is glamorizing over what a small and new innovation it is.

AoBfrost said:
One thing I dont get though, why does apple sell laptops with low specs for such high prices? I could buy 2-3 laptops for the price of one macbook.
You don't seem to understand how Macs work, while it may be "low spec" compared to other laptops Macs are generally better at utilizing the power that the have so they do better at multitasking and such.

Vrogy said:
So many mac haters. Wow.

I think they should have focused on making a scaled-up iTouch, but this laptop is great for one reason:
it pushes technology forward.

Without progress, you'd have the same old **** year after year after year..
I know a lot of programmers who have stagnated with their thinkpads and their favourite distro of linux.
I know a lot of college kids who have stagnated with their shitty-looking home-built PC or the latest plastic contraption from Dell.

This is:
-the thinnest laptop.
-the first major laptop with a solid-state hard drive

That said, it does have some flaws.. but they are accounted for.
-no disc drive. simple external one solves that, though IMHO it should snap on and off the main laptop
-no user-replaceable battery. replacements are the same price as macbooks', and it will use less power due to the LED backlighting and the solid-state hard drive.

Overall, it's too expensive, but bleeding-edge tech always is.

Now where's my half-pound mactablet with a touchscreen interface and user-configurable keyboard?

Totally agree with that Vrogy :)

Personally I'm glad to see the disc drive is gone and it fits with Apple's new way of doing things (HD and SD movie purchases and rentals through iTMS). I can't remember the last time I used a disc in my Mac, other than to install Leopard but I could have bought and downloaded that too.

Some people may need to install actual programs for work and their business. Alot of people do graphics designing on mac's, how would you install photoshop without a CD/dvd drive?

AoBfrost said:
Some people may need to install actual programs for work and their business. Alot of people do graphics designing on mac's, how would you install photoshop without a CD/dvd drive?

Mount your backed-up disc image. Shoot, I think that's totally legal, too.

Also, they have a system where you can use a PC or another mac's disc drive over a network to make installs..

There's always TPB and a cracked installer, too..

Vrogy said:
Mount your backed-up disc image. Shoot, I think that's totally legal, too.

Also, they have a system where you can use a PC or another mac's disc drive over a network to make installs..

There's always TPB and a cracked installer, too..
Great so I need another mac to backup a CD into a .iso, then I need to stream that over the network to install photoshop? Can I just put a CD in a laptop and install it? Does apple have to make things so hard? Also, remember they arent using solid state drives, so after a while, the HDD could fail, ad all your .iso's, pictures, movies, and music which you didnt buy from itunes (rip from cd/dvd) will be gone. If you had a DVD burner built in, you could easily make backups of everything incase of Hard drive failure or some other failure.

everex_cloudbook_CE1200V.jpg

This laptop, I can understand why it doesnt have a CD/DVD drive, because it practically the size of a DVD drive, so one wouldnt fit inside, but the airbook being larger, a DVD drive would have been added.

As neat as the Macbook Air looks, I'm afraid it's a few years behind being an innovation. 5 years ago, the Sharp corporation made a laptop that was even thinner at .54 inches. It came with a 1GHz Crusoe processor from Transmeta, 256MB of memory, a 15GB hard drive and a built-in Wi-Fi module for $1500. Considering that was 2003, that's pretty amazing.

These ultra slim laptops cater to a very small, specific market: those only concerned with aesthetic appeal.
The general consumer will be hard pressed to make the significant compromises (and the 1.8gHz's price) associated with the Air (lacking an optical drive, firewire, and ethernet jack to the battery, i.e. it can't be replaced by the user).

The regular Macbook is far better imo. :)

---
Now for some lighthearted fun to tease the Macbook Air hehe...

Q: Like the Macbook Air, what is: ultra thin, can't make CD's, expensive, white, and will only *ever* work for 5 hours?
A: Answer

Thin is good, but in this case, thin is useless.

why pay so much for so little, when you can get a big ass Mac Pro for the same price? those things are monsters.
Super powerful monsters.

not that i hate apple, i have an iPod, and it suits me. Its just why come out with so much advanced technology now? they should wait until everyone has stopped screaming over the iTouch.

steve jobs is satan.

rvb4life said:
Thin is good, but in this case, thin is useless.

why pay so much for so little, when you can get a big ass Mac Pro for the same price? those things are monsters.
Super powerful monsters.
not that i hate apple, i have an iPod, and it suits me. Its just why come out with so much advanced technology now? they should wait until everyone has stopped screaming over the iTouch.

steve jobs is satan.

easy flamer. its ipod touch not itouch, saying someone is satan is a serious and unnecessary insult, and a 16 gb ipod touch is like having a nice little computer in my pocket i no i have one! easy pal.

I'm going to buy an ipod touch, but I want to see what will be coming out for next year before I make my purchase, if it's the same style, but bigger HDD, I will just buy the 2007 model.

you know, i've made the decision to never buy cutting edge technology. its expensive, has flaws, and is usually overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back