making a D77H-TCI Pelican :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know i made this a while ago but a few things i must do:
-sorry about the misleading title
-that banshee is cool!\
-i'm with you on that mongoose roxy! (i was thinking of making one but when my friend added up the cost's the materials for a good goose was 3000+)
-i would never make any vehicle unless i knew it would turn out perfect, so no converting aircraft for me and no cheap alternatives to a hog with a gay suspension that looks nothing like a hog's :)P @SchizophrenicMC)
anyway, i'm pretty sure not to many people will be replying to this thread from now on so whoever does, i love you longtime..... lol jks that would be weird:p

My one dream halo object is to make an actual multi player map. Like running around in the real life Foundry, or something cool like that. Yeah, so what, so I'm in love with Foundry. Big deal, wanna fight about it? Well, also, to have a crane, so that I could "Go into moniter mode" and move around the double boxes to run inside, etc. :) you make me smile at my antics....

Personaly, i would love to make real working functioning spartan suit, like the mark IV. And i probaly would to, but i gotz no money. :(

you could make a pep file and have a desk size one ..... that would be as cllose to it that you could get with out spending a fortune

There was a guy i so on asnother site that was scratch building one but he never finished it, plus a peped, to scale ghost would take for ever to make!

From Halopedia:
Legenth - 30.5 metres (100 ft) Troop Bay: 6.19 Meters (20.3 feet)

Width - Wingspan - 23.4 metres (77 ft) Troop Bay: 4.64 Meters (15.22 feet)

Height/Depth - 10.0 meters (35.9 feet) (10.5 meters with landing gear) Troop Bay: 3.23 Meters (10.6 feet)

Cargo capacity - 70 tons on hoist. (anything over 35 tons slows speed considerably)

I fail at maths so if someone could come up with a surface area of this thing and i'll find prices for steel, aluminum, hiring an engineer for the plans, and we'll get started. My best friend who is in the air force and myself plan on building a pelican when we get money and recources. We just need blueprints and some help and we can get it done. We just need a warehouse and an engineer

Our estimated time - The technology is there, so maybe a year or 2 for planning and engineering the pelican peice by peice, a few months for resource aquisition, and a few months for actual building.

there is some thing already used by the US military that is kinda like a pelican. Its called the V22-Osprey. It is pretty new and has been in service for a little more than 2 years.
v22_osprey_1.jpg

v22_paratroops.jpg

Boeing_Bell_Osprey_V-22_head_on.jpg

But a real pelican could be a great upgrade to this baby.

My one dream halo object is to make an actual multi player map. Like running around in the real life Foundry, or something cool like that. Yeah, so what, so I'm in love with Foundry. Big deal, wanna fight about it? Well, also, to have a crane, so that I could "Go into moniter mode" and move around the double boxes to run inside, etc. :) you make me smile at my antics....

some day, i will find a place with a GIANT! backyard, buy it, settle down.....

THEN CONVERT IT INTO MY OWN CUSTOM HALO MAP FOR HALO PAINTBALLL!!!!

Everyone talking about F-35s, F-16s, and VTOL, you don't all seem to get how it works.

What plane uses the engine doesn't matter. The engine, itself, does. You can put any nozzle to any engine, and mount in in any sort of swivel, and it'll work. The problem is, the turbines used by the F-16 and -35 don't produce enough thrust to lift a Pelican off the ground. They produce enough thrust to lift a SUBSTANTIALLY lighter F-16 or F-35 off the ground, but they barely top 1.2:1 thrust-to-weight for the light fighters they power.

A Pelican would weigh several times that of a fighter jet, and therefore require several times more thrust to achieve the minimum 1:1 thrust-weight ratio necessary to lift it off the ground.

I'm sorry If I'm picking on the issue a bit much, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

Let's bring its current contemporary, the V-22 Osprey into this. The Osprey's turboshaft engine spins the rotors fast enough to produce enough lift to bring it off the ground. However, it doesn't produce thrust, per se, in that configuration. The force of air pushed down doesn't actually lift the plane, but the force of low pressure above the rotors does. That's why the Osprey is possible. It's essentially a helicopter. However, when the rotor shafts tilt forward, they push air past the back of the plane, creating lift over the wings as the craft moves forward.

The Pelican gets none of these advantages. It has no rotors to produce VTOL lift. Its wings are too small to create lift in-flight, except at very high speed. This means, it must rely on very powerful turbine engines to keep it in the air. Between thrust directed downward to lift it, and thrust directed behind it to push it. So, thrust-weight of 1:1 at least is necessary. And neither the GE F100-series turbine, nor the P&W F135 turbine can produce enough thrust to overcome the mass of a laden D-77H.

Just to lift a Scorpion tank, you'd need 2 F135s afterburning. And those afterburners run hot and burn way too much gas. Besides that, Pelicans never seem to use afterburners to produce thrust, which means you'd need 3 such engines, without the afterburners. And that's only its maximum loadout. That's not even counting the weight of the Pelican, itself.

EDIT: Actually, you'd need 5 without afterburners. I mixed up tons and pounds. The F135 turbine only produces 28,000 pounds (14 tons) of thrust without afterburners. 14*5 = 70 = 66+4 = enough thrust to lift a Scorpion somewhat slowly. But, not enough to lift a Pelican AND a Scorpion.

The problem is, the turbines used by the F-16 and -35 don't produce enough thrust to lift a Pelican off the ground. They produce enough thrust to lift a SUBSTANTIALLY lighter F-16 or F-35 off the ground, but they barely top 1.2:1 thrust-to-weight for the light fighters they power.

Don't underestimate that F-35 engine Schizo

The thrust that the engine's lift fan provided (when it was known as the X35) was almost 3 times more than they initially planned for.

I actually talked to some of the engineers about a concept Pelican when I started at Lockheed. A real life Pelican is very possible, just not practical for the Military. The gunship from Avatar has the same story. The aeronautics industry is steering towards cheap, fuel efficient machines rather than what would actually be a step up in aviation technology.

It's really just an issue of material costs. I have to say, the stuff we could be flying around is absolutely amazing. But it all comes down to a government's pocket book size ;)

-Lockheed Martin Skunkworks Employee

Next february, some friends and I are thinking about making a fake one from fiberboard at an airsoft field. If we do, I'll post progress.

You're just dream breaker, SMC :)
And what about to make 1:1 inflatable pelican? And how much helium we need to pull it up?
That's practically my job description, Bevbor.

But, perhaps, I'm pointing out a major concern in the way of making the dream a reality? :p
So then we shall create a new engine that is hydrogen powered (so fuel is nearly unlimited) and is hyper efficent.
Hyper-efficiency and hydrogen do not combine, so easily. However, use of hydrogen as a fuel source is a great idea I've always fought for.
Don't underestimate that F-35 engine Schizo

The thrust that the engine's lift fan provided (when it was known as the X35) was almost 3 times more than they initially planned for.

I actually talked to some of the engineers about a concept Pelican when I started at Lockheed. A real life Pelican is very possible, just not practical for the Military. The gunship from Avatar has the same story. The aeronautics industry is steering towards cheap, fuel efficient machines rather than what would actually be a step up in aviation technology.

It's really just an issue of material costs. I have to say, the stuff we could be flying around is absolutely amazing. But it all comes down to a government's pocket book size ;)

-Lockheed Martin Skunkworks Employee
I never said it was impossible, nor did I downplay the F135 turbine/lift fan assembly. I just said the aforementioned turbine produces insufficient thrust, even with the lift fan, to power a laden Pelican from the ground. It's got a nice 1+:1 TW, in a one-engine plane, which impresses me thoroughly.

The Pelican is mostly possible, by today's standards, just expensive. My main point is just the F135 and F110 turbines being insufficient. Put some bigger turbines in there.
(Mostly, because, as yet, there are no jet turbines that can work, efficiently, in vacuum environments. (I am, of course, counting into play designs that use compressed oxidizer tanks to power the turbine))

All in all, I miss the Cold War. It forced everyone into technological leaps and bounds. Now, we're movin' slow and cheap again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back