making a D77H-TCI Pelican :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1njqch1cken

i know it sounds a little far feched, but has anyone every thought of making a pelican, life sized?? i know we'd never get some propelsion engines, but in my mind i always saw it as a prop to act in on a green screen or just something to sit on an acreage sized backyard so you could say 'i am the only one in the world with a life sized pelican!!!! :)

one can dream......

(btw tell me your story about the 405th dream of yours that almost definatley won't come true unless you make friends with bill gates and get tradesmen to work for you :) )

If this is a discussion thread rather than an announcement, I'd say you could make a pretty awesome cockpit or interior for not too much.

yep, i was just trying to get people to come forward with shattered dreams so possibly someone would see their post and say ' i can help them!!'

and i don't really think it could be an announcement, because i for one am not going to wake up today and say 'im going to build a pelican!' and go and begin construction, but still, i can wake up today and think 'y'know what would be cool? a pelican... that'd be nice' and go and talk to everyone about the dream of the pelican and what there dream is..

Well F-16 and later models (or british harrier, I probably spelled that wrong) can lift off the ground with their engines going straight up, take those engines if you have a few hundred thousand dollars and then try modifying a helicopter. And if anything, just make a prop using a wood backbone :D

the pelican would be most amazing I think If I ever could make anything from halo it would be the invisibility ability to the armor in reach that is my dream to have my suit turn invisible that would be awesome

and the pelican would be a fun build with enough people and resources I would participate in a group project of that but only if it was going to be a prop I would not want to take the risk of it actually being able to fly

Well F-16 and later models (or british harrier, I probably spelled that wrong) can lift off the ground with their engines going straight up, take those engines if you have a few hundred thousand dollars and then try modifying a helicopter. And if anything, just make a prop using a wood backbone :D
Basically, what you mean is, any propulsion system capable of producing more thrust than the weight of the finished aircraft.

Simply put, if the end Pelican weighs 60 tons (120,000 pounds) you'll need thrusters capable of producing at least 120,000 pounds of thrust to begin to lift it off the ground. At this point, it has a Thrust-to-Weight ratio of 1:1. The higher you make the first number, the faster it can accelerate.

That's not counting any higher weight load, such as the added 66 tons of Scorpion it can carry. So, I make the assumption it has a LOT of thrust. (60 tons is an abstract figure. I don't think there's an official weight spec on the Pelican)

I want to note, the F-16's engine, the General Electric F110, can only provide 32,000 pounds of thrust, at full throttle afterburner.

AHEM. Anyway, props are cool. Large props are awesome. Real objects require engineering skills, and specialized equipment.

By the by, I'm IN LOVE with the Pelican's design in Reach.

i think it was link maybe someone else but someone is making a full sized scorpion and banshee there thread disapeared sry

hey everyone :) im just saying, i only put out there the idea of making a pelican and have no intention of actually beggining construction, although it would be uber cool :p !!!
but if someone does, probs a millionare, decides to make one, please, please, please, update us on every single day of construction :) but i don't think anyone will unless everyone in the 405th gets together for one very special occasion.... building one of these babies! (but that, yet again is very far off..)

oh and sip chaos, i agree with your way of thinking, under no circumstances would i support any working plane

or just using lightwieght but strong materials, Tianium or Zirconium for the skeletal structur and aluminium on the outside, a fully sised pelican............if you will win the lottery and be a millionaire call me xD

I want a mongoose.. but that's just me.

Goodluck with your dream vehicle. That's quite an endeavor.

i agree with joshua morrison but if your were going to make enything you should make the cockpit then stratigicly take photos to look like you made a full sized one

A full sized Pelican would be pretty cool, though quite expensive, time consuming, and difficult to make.

Personally the largest Halo vehicle I would want to build, would be a Warthog (maybe even that new type from Reach that looks like a flatbed pick-up), though I'd be pretty content with a Mongoose.

If I ever make a Warthog, expect it to have a Hydrogen-injected diesel engine, electronic drivetrain, and a true Warthog suspension. And have 4-inch thick titanium plating.

That basically sums up my chances of making one, right there.

As far as Pelicans go, you could make it out of any material, really, but different ones yield different results. Even a flying Pelican could be made entirely out of steel and aluminum. I don't know where you got Zirconium from, though, John. That's an incredibly expensive, and rather dense material. Honestly, Titanium is as exotic a material as you should go in making the frame of a craft like this.

Honestly, though, as cool as a life-size replica in your backyard would be, a working one is well out of our Reach. (3 weeks, pun completely intended)

old quote is old, but F-16s are not capable of VTOL. You were correct about the harrier, but the only other American jet that can is the F/S-35. Now when it comes to prop planes, there is the Osprey which has engines that work in a similar manner to the pelican: vertical for take-off and landing, and horizontal for flight.

Now on topic: I think a life sized pelican would be a feasible idea, if you had enough funds. It is a very geometric ship, and looks as though it could easily be constructed from wood. A full functioning pelican is out of the question, however.

It would be great to have a big group build and stuff

even though I dont really know any of you it would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back