Status
Not open for further replies.

kschlege

I should start with a little backstory. For the past year I have started liking different types of armor, mainly sci-fi and powered armors. I've always known about Halo but haven't been interested in FPS games. I downloaded MCC a year ago and have played half of the Reach campaign, half of the CE campaign and many rounds of Action Sack and some other multiplayer modes. I really like the game. Anyways I started looking at the MJOLNIR armor and wanted to build a suit, once I started surfing the web I found the 405th. I joined the discord and made an account. I watched a few tutorials on the site, downloaded Pepakura Designer, and bought some foam from HF. I explored the Armory and looked at some different types of armor and decided on the Halo 3 Master Chief LD armor set. I chose it because I was starting off and wanted to do something easy. The only problem is I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic of the Halo 3 armor but I decided to deal and built the shins (2 right ones oops), forearms and bought the helmet on Amazon. Then there was a loooooong break because of personal things. During the break I messed with Meshmixer and Blender a little bit because again I wasn’t a huge fan of the Halo 3 armor and wanted something else. Before I started I was looking at MC’s Halo 5 armor (pictured below) and I want to build that instead.
Problems: 1. No unfolded files in the armory. 2. The Halo 5 obj. files in the armory suck so I’m using The Halo Archive rips in Pep Designer. 3. I need to split all the pieces(thigh, forearms, etc.) in Blender. 4. I’m a huge noob at blender, pep, foamsmithing, etc.. Anyone who wants to give me pointers or help in any way that would be greatly appreciated ;)
masterchief405th.png

Last edited:
I should start with a little backstory. For the past year I have started liking different types of armor, mainly sci-fi and powered armors. I've always known about Halo but haven't been interested in FPS games. I downloaded MCC a year ago and have played half of the Reach campaign, half of the CE campaign and many rounds of Action Sack and some other multiplayer modes. I really like the game. Anyways I started looking at the MJOLNIR armor and wanted to build a suit, once I started surfing the web I found the 405th. I joined the discord and made an account. I watched a few tutorials on the site, downloaded Pepakura Designer, and bought some foam from HF. I explored the Armory and looked at some different types of armor and decided on the Halo 3 Master Chief LD armor set. I chose it because I was starting off and wanted to do something easy. The only problem is I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic of the Halo 3 armor but I decided to deal and built the shins (2 right ones oops), forearms and bought the helmet on Amazon. Then there was a loooooong break because of personal things. During the break I messed with Meshmixer and Blender a little bit because again I wasn’t a huge fan of the Halo 3 armor and wanted something else. Before I started I was looking at MC’s Halo 5 armor (pictured below) and I want to build that instead.
Problems: 1. No unfolded files in the armory. 2. The Halo 5 obj. files in the armory suck so I’m using The Halo Archive rips in Pep Designer. 3. I need to split all the pieces(thigh, forearms, etc.) in Blender. 4. I’m a huge noob at blender, pep, foamsmithing, etc.. Anyone who wants to give me pointers or help in any way that would be greatly appreciated ;)View attachment 306391
Glad you got out of newbie jail!

Glad you got out of newbie jail!
Personally, In my opinion, the is almost a rank of difficulty for cosplay. Foam is rather fun and easy once you get the hang of it. Pepakura takes a while and requires a lot of patience and precision. 3D printing (Depending on the way it is done) can be either easy or hard. If you're designing the suit from scratch, that will take a while, but you get to say "I designed this". The other way is to 3D print someone else's file which is just a fun, but then you have to sand it down and seal all the pieces, as well as attaching all the pieces together. And you could always use cardboard. That's how I started out.

Splitting pieces should be able to be done in meshmixer or Blender if you "separate by loose pieces" in Blender

I wanted to give a little update. Now that summer break has started I've made tons of progress on it. I haven't started building yet but I have been working on it. I got Armorsmith for $35 and it has been a huge help with sizing and I have been working in blender for a while splitting apart the separate pieces thighs shins etc. I've split apart everything and now I need to size them to myself. So far I've spent around 7 hours splitting and making my avatar but I've made decent progress imo.

Bit late to the party, but I've modeled most of the halo 5 armor for foam and unfolded it, so I can send you the files if you want to. That was pretty much my first bigger modeling project though, so they aren't the prettiest.

Bit late to the party, but I've modeled most of the halo 5 armor for foam and unfolded it, so I can send you the files if you want to. That was pretty much my first bigger modeling project though, so they aren't the prettiest.
Yeah of course, I'd love to see them. Thanks!

View attachment 306836

Apart from the shoulder stuff I have everything here unfolded in pepakura. The forearms are a bit ugly on the bottom and the chest has some weird parts and isn't too accurate, but it's all buildable.
Here's what my ~10 hours of splitting got and they look about same imo. I don't know if I'll need your pep unfolds because Armorsmith kinda does it for you but thank you very much for the offer. If the Armorsmith files are a little too hard I'll definitely come straight to you :)
Screenshot_3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back