Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
not really lighter but you could thin it with denatured alcohol which would make it more watery to put on a thinner coat. but this in turn makes it weaker. i guess you could add fiber glass fibers which would work like a filler and make it thicker but not lighter. you could buy micro ballons which are used to lighten resin when used in rc to make repairs or lighter areas with the same strength.. have not used it for this purpose but have used it alot on rc planes works well and does make the resin lighter. might be something to try.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZ15&P=ML

Well here's an update. Was to a little to cold in the garage today so I did some pep work instead. It's suppose to be warmer tomorrow so I'll do some resin work then. I've also been looking into rondo for the Spartan Laser but it's going to use up to much product, sssssoooo that means I'm going to have to suck it up and fiberglass the out side. So expect updates on that over the next few days. On the plus side I pepped out the re-sized HD bicep that a mentioned a few posts ago.
dscf3434.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3437g.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3436.jpg

By misfitjh
I would also like to thank Calladar for his advice on the micro balloons I will def be looking into this more when funds are available. I'm hoping to get some paint this week, If so I will be painting the Mark VI in it's base coat. That's all I can think of for now.

I like your pepping of the shoulder. Looks sharp! Mine came out warped during the resin stage. I'll be dealing with that at a later date.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

I think I went cross eyed a few times with those little folds. I'm now onto the chest/back peace, started cutting that out last night. WOOOOHOOO 45 pages of pep, hand cramp here we come.

resin came out really well.. when i resined mine i warped the heck out of it till someone told me to do it in small sections and that solved (most) of my problems. but looks really good.

I find with small part like these it's best to hang it to let it dry. Then gravity does the job of keeping it straight. I did the hole thing all in one sitting, I just broke it down into sections and kept moving the peace around. That way I didn't resin two sections right beside each other. That gave the section on the opposite side time to set a little while I was working on the other side. As soon as it was covered I hung it to dry. I find this works well for me, but not with the larger parts like helms or chest/ back peaces they are just to heavy. Those I still do in sections.

Pride: just take it slow, make sure your folds are right and enjoy the experience. Do that and you'll do just fine. Keep us posted on how your doing and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Ok so here is a little update. Been pepping a re-sized HD chest by Flyingsquirl for the last few nights, the old one being just a little to tight. SO 45 pages late we have a nice pile of parts.
dscf3447i.jpg

By misfitjh And after 2 nights and 6 movies we have a good start.
dscf3450q.jpg

By misfitjh I've also done a second coat of resin on the right bicep.

I use Le Page White glue for wood and paper dries in like 20 sec. And I use a tooth pick to apply it, the tooth pick is also handy to get in those tight areas were glue is needed. Here is a pic of the tools i use
dscf3338y.jpg

By misfitjh

Just a little update here, been plugging away at the chest peace at night. Slow progress but still progress, trying to do a good job and taking extra time to fit every thing. Then double checking the folds and fit before gluing.
dscf3453u.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3454.jpg

By misfitjh

wow never thought of the toothpicks to get into those tight places, thanks for the tip! ill have to try that :p

EDIT: oh and your chest piece is coming along nicely!

Your doing very well. Your pepping skills are clean and sharp.
Excellent progress so far.

Cheers

Thanx longshot

My pleasure trebek, and thank you.

Ok so I'm FINISHED with the chest peace. Just have to do the ab part and it's totally finished.

Here are a few shots of the build,
dscf3455c.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3458v.jpg

By misfitjh
ANd here is the finished product,
dscf3459o.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3460p.jpg

By misfitjh
WIth any luck I'll get the fist coat of resin on it tomorrow.

Alphadragon90: First let me ask you a few questions 1) what weight paper are you using, regular or card stock. I use 110lbs card stock?
2) Are you using the proper bracing when you build your parts?
3) What kind of tools are you using to mark your fold lines?
4) What kind of glue are you using?

These things I need to know before I can help you with the warping problem. And to answer your question I use fiberglass resin that I get from my local automotive parts supplier. After mixing use a very light coat for your fist coat and do not do the hole part. For example the the Mark 6 Spartan Helmet I did the top first (from the crown down to the edge of the brim) and allowed to dry that way I could put it down upside down to resin the bottom. I did the bottom in 3 sections the face shield, the jaw and then the back of the head. After a light base coat the I apply 2 to 3 heavier coats depending on the part. This gives me a good sanding base. That's the basics of what I do, hope this helps. Contact me if you have any more troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back