Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I'm hoping to have it glassed by the end of the week. Then the fun part begins. BONDO!!!!

So you ever have one of those magical days when everything just seems to go your way. This is how it went, this morning I finished re-pepping the HD thigh by crackhead.
dscf3500x.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3499.jpg

By misfitjh and figure a way to get it to keep it's shape around the bottom (thank god for Tupperware)
dscf3502r.jpg

By misfitjh
So around lunch time I go check the mail and low and behold my gloves arrive 2 days early
dscf3505z.jpg

By misfitjh
Then a buddy shows up says he's got the afternoon off and takes me around town here job hunting. But wait it gets much much better. That friend heads home and I'm sitting at home helping my daughter finish her home work and another friend calls to make sure I'm home he's heading over after work. So I greet him at the door and he's standing there with
dscf3504z.jpg

By misfitjh so after I pick my jaw up off the floor I have a million questions going through my head. He tells me he picked it up at work(he works at a distribution company here in town), I'm like cool what did that cost you. He's says $120, now my head is spinning. I'm like can you pick me up one for that price, he says no this is the last one of the shipment. So now I'm bummed out. So he comes in and I'm sitting there staring at the box literally drooling and we talk for a bit. He then says he has to go pick up his kid and starts for the door leaving the box on the table. I'm like don't forget your stuff and he looks me in the eye and says "oh that's not mine, I just delivered it to it's new owner." I almost passed out. Think of it as a late birthday present he says. So now my ears have disappeared cause they were swallowed up by my smile, a ton of thank you's later he heads off to get his kid. So I'm now the proud owner of Halo Reach Legendary Edition. Now I just need to buy the X-box 360 to go with it. I think this is one of the best days I've had in a very very long time. And to close this update I give you a shot of Noble Team.
dscf3503.jpg

By misfitjh

Dude, for his B-day, make him a helmet or something. He is like the Best friend EVER!!!

Oh and it's great to see more Legendary edition owners, it was worth every penny. :D

He's into Star Wars in a huge way so I was thinking of making him a Stormtrooper outfit.

using the tupperware is genious! I wish I had seen that before i built mine....mine are slightly different from one another :(

Thanks, it's been to cold here to resin the last week so I have yet to take the Tupperware out yet but it's suppose to be a really nice weekend so I might get it done then. Plus I just picked up a used heater for the garage. I had to rewire the fan in it but that was no big deal. I've got it running in there now to see how well it works. With any luck I might be able to work out there all winter.

Well after 3 bags of Fiberglass mat, 2 lg cans of resin, 60 brushes and an unknown amount of hours I have finished Fiber glassing the inside of my re sized Master Chief Mark VI chest and back peace. After it dries I have to trim the openings and remove any extra Fiberglass and it's ready for bondo and detailing. Here are a few pics of what I have so far.

The inside
dscf3530x.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3531.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3532.jpg

By misfitjh
And the outside,
dscf3533f.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3534a.jpg

By misfitjh
I'll be glad to start working on some smaller parts again.

Ok update time!!. It's been a while, so here we go. First off I have almost the entire suit pepped. Just need to do the cod peace and the foot wear. Here is a pic of everything so far
dscf3535.jpg

By misfitjh it's hard to see but the helm is way up at the top, also note the hand plates are not in the photo but they are pepped and resined. Here are a few close ups.
dscf3536s.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3537.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3538t.jpg

By misfitjh
So next we look at the chest and back, I set this on the couch in my garage so it was easier to see. I have cut the top a little different than some that I've seen as you can see here
dscf3539uf.jpg

By misfitjh I just have to trim about an 1/8 of an inch around the opening and my neck will fit just fine. My neck fits now but rubs on the fiberglass. Now the next pic you will see it pushed back together, this is how it will look when assembled and worn. I am NOT going to use straps or buckles to keep these together.
dscf3540v.jpg

By misfitjh
What I plan to do is use a pin and slot with a magnet twist to hold this together. It's really simple and my help others who don't want to use straps on the chest peace. This is what I'm looking at doing, get a round cylinder style mag, a 2 1/4 inch long peace of PLASTIC tube thick walled and with an inside diameter to fit the magnet, and a 2 inch bolt that fits in the tube. Glue the magnet in one end of the tube, cut 1 inch off the other end. Slide the bolt through the inch you just cut off and hot glue it in place. Put the two peaces of tube back together and the magnet should grab the end of the bolt. Now put your armor back to get here and tape it to hold it together. Hot glue, resin, two part epoxy what ever you like to use, the tube into place with the seam matching the seam on your armor and let dry. It should make taking off and putting on the chest a snap. Once dry test it out, you should be able to hook your thumbs behind the chest and push forward (when wearing the armor) and it should just pop off. No buckles to mess with or straps to adjust. I plan on putting 2 at the top on each side and 2 on the bottom on each side.

WOW sorry about the long post guys but I was excited and had to share this idea, some one may have already did this before but I thought just in case I'll get it out there for you guys to look at and talk about and send some feed back or ideas I hadn't thought of. Let me know what you think.

great great job. im starting my own mark vi and done with the helmet. i have some questions:

1. which file did you use for your helmet and armor?

2. how did you scale them? i have used the calculation method, the height in inches = scale method, and just plain old trial and error. however i do not want to do that for the rest of the armor pieces. i have read that if you used robo's files the calculation method is accurate. i printed out just the neck opening of the armor and its too small for me leading me to scrap conventional scaling methods.

3. how did you keep the peps from warping as you resined them?

4. did you use a glue gun?

5. when i printed the neck opening, it was too big for the letter paper size. i used flying squirrel's with a scale of 3.00 on the chest piece. which did you use and what scale and how tall are you?

appreciate the experience wisdom here.

Ok so I have tried 3 times to answer inee but it keep logging me out while I type and wont let me post so inee I will try to send you an email to answer your questions.

Hmm I sent you a visitors message.

Chest was flyingsquirl
Helmet was DF4L
Scaling I used the width method for the chest and helm and Height for the rest.

For the chest measure arm pit to arm pit.
Helm I measure from ear to ear by marking a peace of paper with a pencil on my ear then add 3 inch for padding and depending on the model anther 2 to 3 inches for the model

Use a light coat of resin for your first coat and work in sections and let each section dry before starting the next. I always start at the top for helms that way when I'm doing later sections I can put it down. When the first coat is done then do 2 good coats of resin.

I use white glue. I also have a plastic bag and toothpick handy. Put glue on the bad and use the tooth pick to spread it and get into those hard to reach areas.

Don't forget the flysquirl chest is made to be cut apart when hardened so it only goes around your neck not over your head. use the big part on the front of the neck as a guide it should just touch the sides of your neck. You can trim it a little later for a better fit.

OK so it's been awhile since I posted ANYTHING! But there is a good reason, I was recalled back to work after 18 months off so YAAA. Now that I have gotten use to the shifts I'm going to get my butt back in gear. Hopefully with the steady income I can get the supplies I ran out of quickly and get back to work. I'm trying to set a dead line of March 15th to have everything hardened and some what ready to send in pics to Nintendude approval in the Thanksgiving day parade. But the end goal is to have it done for Halloween next year, and maybe the Comic Con in Toronto. That's it for now once I get things rolling in the garage I'll post some more WIP pics.

Hey everyone it's been awhile since I posted, been working crazy overtime up until Christmas. Now that that's done I've had a little time to try some stuff out that I've wanted to do. So what I've done here is hot glue some magnets into plastic tubing. Then hot glued the tubing into the armor. The idea is to eliminate the need for buckles and straps in the armor. I only have 4 sets of magnets in the chest/back peace right now but I will be adding 4 more sets just to make sure it stays together. Below you will see pics of the magnets glued in as well as the armor snapped together. I did not take any of me wearing it because (sssshhhhh) I gained a little weight during Christmas and it does not fit properly right now. It was a tight fit to begin with but that little extra put me over the top I guess. So here are the pics and any comments or suggestions are welcome.
dscf3566.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3561o.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3562y.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3563u.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3564p.jpg

By misfitjh
dscf3565d.jpg

By misfitjh
Oh and if anyone is wondering here is the site for the magnets. http://www.indigo.com/magnets/rare-earth-magnets.html

WOW!

Just WOW!

Ok... maby more than WOW!

Very nice work on the fiberglassing and bondo and SANDING! Yes lots and lots of sanding.. heheh :p
Nice to see that your doing the magnets for the chest piece.

Your quality of work, and attention to detail reminds me of when I was doing my suit. If you keep this up, your suit will easly rival mine. Please keep up the FANTASTIC work. I enjoy reading your progress, and posts.

Cheers!

Thanks Longshot-x, I'm hoping to use magnets to keep most of the suit together. I plan on doing all the arm and leg peaces as clam shells. I also have an undersuit designed and am thinking of hiding some magnets in there as well so the parts will just snap on the the suit.

I finally broke down and bought a mouse sander today, I didn't think I could get both my Masterchief suit and my daughters Kat armor done in time for Halloween if I continued to sand them by hand.

This may be a bit odd, but thanks for show the way that you cut everything off. i havnt come across anyone who shows how their armour comes appart, and how they fit it together, keep that up and you will be even more popular :)
unfortunately the places where i connected my armour were created by me accidently snapping my torso :( but i love the selective placement of filler, i will try that next time.

Just keep the filler light and in smallish areas and you'll have less to sand. Layers are the best way to apply body filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back