Mech/Exoskeleton Build (Full-Size )

Managed to wriggle it out the garage door for a few hours of testing. Video to follow.

IMG_20180624_104812.jpg

Video:

Last edited:
Dude.....every time I see your thread, something new!!! I love the mechanics you put in to the arms. Brilliant work. Your last vid it looks like the legs were rubbing together when you walked around. Problem?

Dude.....every time I see your thread, something new!!! I love the mechanics you put in to the arms. Brilliant work. Your last vid it looks like the legs were rubbing together when you walked around. Problem?

The arms were a pain. I was going to try some PVC magical leverwork like skeletronics but got too impatient and cheated with bowden cables. Delicious, delicious bowden cables. They're encased in some nifty looking blue conduit I found in the bushes behind the house. Must have a few hundred feet of the stuff, makes me wonder what my grandfather was doing with it.

The legs do rub a bit. I like how they flare out but the main problem is they flop about because the only structural support is on the front. Technically they're supposed to be flush with the sides. If I keep 'em from wiggling there would probably be very little rubbing. Of course I also forgot to put on the belt strap, so the entire thing was flopping around on my back.

There is a lot of flopping at the moment.

Adding the weight of the torso onto the shins means I need more bungees to give proper resistance for the ankles. Gonna change the bungee hookes out for some bungee cord (off a spool!) instead. I'm also working on a lighter shin subframe, because the current ones weight about 20-30lbs!

The thread view count is almost OVER 9000!

Please...strap up those floppers.......and never question grandfathers.....just go with it.........You also might want to consider this: You leg's width isn't that of your mecha's. Meaning to make the legs walk smoothly you would need to walk bowlegged as if you were straddling a horse. If you relocate the platforms where you stand on inward, within the mecha's legs, you could not only prevent the reverse pigeon toe look (both feet pointing outward rather than forward) and the rubbing of the inner leg sections (don't want to start a fire....good thing this isn't made out of denim), you will keep better balance and prevent developing a severe case of charlie-horse in your legs.

At my Folk's place for the weekend watching the cat I discovered something somewhat unfortunate.

IMG_20180630_133403.jpg

when getting a new roll of aluminum flashing apparently it looks like they're diluting the aluminum with a copper backing so now I have to worry about which side faces out. still it won't stop me from making the back piece

And here is the little guy:
IMG_20180630_133456.jpg
Gotta watch him because he's old and smart and sometimes jumps to the wrong conclusions. About 10 years ago I was the one who bottle fed him so we're buddies.

Last edited:
Not so much an update on the mech as with one of my tools.
Following a tutorial, I can now make my own davinci spool cards so I am no longer bound to the davinci brand of filament ( which is 4x the usual cost)
The device is arduino based:

IMG_20180719_054411.jpg

Ordered a raspberry pi screen & power pak so I can make a camera system to see out-i already have a camera and raspberry pi.

Oh, and added some tension cord to the leg joints. Gonna do a test this afternoon.

IMG_20180718_063712.jpg

IMG_20180718_063722.jpg

Last edited:
Was planning on giving 'er a good run today, but the Stasis Dock fell over so I had to spend my time rebuilding it. Overhead Arm was bent and replaced the PVC supports with good ol' lumber

20180721_170807.jpg

Entire seat base was wobbling like a paralellogram so I had to add some screws (previously it was bolted together for easy disassembly).

20180721_170800.jpg

Some of the paint flaked on the shin and the metal got a little bent, but you have to look hard to notice.
20180721_170817.jpg

The entire thing had fallen flat on its face and the only thing that broke was the pinky for the 3d printed hand. Pretty durable!

A bit of a close-up of the thigh bits. I'm quite proud of how I managed to get the the different PVC sizes to work together.

20180721_170824.jpg 20180721_170829.jpg

And of course another shot. Hey, that's me!

memech.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back