Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Model summary and request log

i have a question i downloaded the E.O.D helmet file and tried to open it but my computer says it needs a application to open it can you direct me to what application exactly? thanks in advance for the help and models!

Please do not post in a thread so long buried. The last post was nearly a year ago- you can see the datestamp just above the message of a post. Generally try to avoid posting if it's been more than a couple weeks.

To answer your question, you will need either Pepakura Viewer, which is free but limited in it's abilities, or Pepakura Designer, which has a limited-function trial and a paid full version. Here is the download page for both.

ADD UPDATE...

Mr. Chief travels to Nilbog. The Halo 5 Goblin helmet has been uploaded to the beginning of the thread. I used the game asset model and simplified some areas and cleaned up others to prepare it for the pepkura process. Modifying the game asset took just about as much time as developing a scratch model. For this helmet, I split out the helmet area that sits in front of the visor into a second part so the visor and base helmet can be constructed, and then the front area can be added to it. My heart will always belong to the aesthetics of Reach...but I don't hate the Goblin helmet.

Halo 5 Helmet Goblin Asset Mod (Satchmo III) 2018-04-29.pdo
Goblin pep window.png

A recent-ish update to Pepakura Designer adds a playback function to see how the parts would be assembled. It's not terribly useful but is pretty neat. Below is GIF.

uGZ3nZP.gif

I hope everyone is having fun with their builds. Take care 405.

Last edited:
HOUSEKEEPING UPDATE...

I noticed that 4shared looks pretty sketchy these days and saw that you had to log in with a 4shared account or social media account in order to download anything so put my files on a OneDrive account and updated the links at the beginning of the thread to point there.

If anyone finds a broken link please let me know. Thanks.

I suddenly have an itch to pep something. And that goblin unfold looks so nice! Eh, what's another helmet on the shelf gonna do to harm me?

Fall on your head during an earthquake. Properly secure all shelves to walls with appropriate hardware and make sure heavy objects are located on lower shelves when living in a fault zone. That's a Turbo Tip™.

Fall on your head during an earthquake. Properly secure all shelves to walls with appropriate hardware and make sure heavy objects are located on lower shelves when living in a fault zone. That's a Turbo Tip™.
That's the point. It will fall perfectly on my head and protect my noggin from damage. Be a wizard like me. That's a Blackwell Tip™

ADD UPDATE...

Spooky...the SPI helmet has been uploaded to the beginning of the thread. I noticed a very cool re-imagining concept piece for the SPI armor (among others) from Deviant Art user Tekka-Croe and thought it'd be neat to translate the helmet into three dimensions. All my thanks to Tekka-Croe for the inspiration, I love his style. Please check out his work at his Deviant Art page (Tekka-Croe on DeviantArt).

As per usual for pieces intended for pepakura, I've tried to keep the model simple for easy paper assembly with the intent that desired details can be added in later finishing processes. I may model other parts of the SPI armor at some point in the future.

Halo onyx helmet SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-05-11.pdo
SPI helmet pep window.png

Great work on that goblin helmet! Your reward? A double-decker bologna sandwich! Enjoy! ;)

Glad to see you back Satchmo III

Thanks, PerniciousDuke!

I suddenly have an itch to pep something. And that goblin unfold looks so nice! Eh, what's another helmet on the shelf gonna do to harm me?

Thank you, please remember to watch your scale. I think I made the goblin too large. I typically try to skew larger so users don't have to upscale the parts when re-scaling (which would result in them having to split parts to fit on the page).

ADD UPDATE (SOMETHING A BIT DIFFERENT)...

I came to find the 405th back in 2011. After learning how to use Pepakura Designer and assembling a bunch of paper, I wanted to understand more how these model assets were created. I spent time in Pepakura Designer learning how to unfold and I came upon the free and awesome Blender modeling software with the intent of making and sharing models with the community.

Over the years my time and interest has waxed and waned in this pursuit. I've always enjoyed 3D modeling (even at the beginning when it was a major struggle) and I've actively tried to make simple and straight-forward models to ease the paper assembly process.

My modeling process was largely just to put a bunch of triangles and squares together in a (hopefully) recognizable shape. I think I've done respectably via this process but at the beginning of this year I started to make a concentrated effort to improve and better understand modelling principles, primarily the ideas of edge flow and effective topology, and trying to think through the process more so than just making shapes. I'm still very much an amateur, but I've made some good strides since January.

That said, below are some images and notes for the first high detail helmet model I've put together. I share a 3D-printable STL file below (and at the beginning of the thread).

Earlier this week I worked with the Halo 5 intruder helmet game asset with pepakura in mind. Since it's an asset for a video game, the makers obviously have given no thought to the paper-crafting process. There are instances where polygon faces are way too thin/numerous and certain pieces aren't really connected up (things that don't matter in-game). In order to make the game asset pepakura-friendly, these things needed to be resolved. So I set about simplifying and cleaning up the topology (then made an unfold for Pepakura Designer).

After having done this I was left with a pretty clean model. Now, although the game asset can have overly-complicated structures, certain details are commonly not part of the actual 3D model mesh but are just simulated with normal and diffuse flat images that are laid over the model (which look great in-game). Adding actual mesh info is a lengthy process (for me) but fortunately starting with the clean model I made was very helpful. A simple model makes it easier to add edge loops/cuts from which detail can be added/extruded.

All that said, this is what I cam up with for the intruder (AKA air assault) helmet. Depending on your web-browser, OneDrive (where the link below navigates to) displays an interactive preview of the STL file I'm sharing. For reference, below is a rendered GIF.

Halo 5 helmet intruder 3D print (Satchmo III) 2018-05-26.stl

Intruder-turn-02-0.10.gif

The model is made up of six or eight individual parts (though, those parts get merged together in the STL file). One of the realizations I made this year was to break things into individual parts instead of trying to model entirely of one mesh (which get crazy complicated quickly if you're doing very detailed work). This doesn't work for pepakura, but is fine for things like animation (which I've become interested in) or 3D printing. Below is a few still images from Blender including one that shows the mesh.

Intruder post window 2.png

I have a Lulzbot TAZ5 printer and I wanted to see if the model could be printed. I printed it small but it looks great. Below are some print stats, a time-lapse video of the printer process, and some still images of the completed print.

> Printed dimensions are 50mm (W) x 64mm (D) x 46mm (H).
> Printed with HIPS at 0.22mm layer height.
> Walls are only 0.35mm wide (very thin).
> Time elapsed is 2H 55M.

1XGXfiQ.jpg

0Y3bFFU.jpg

tWP6ZV9.jpg

zNTA2hi.jpg

If you've read this far, I thank you for your interest. Let me know if you have any questions or found any of the info-dump above helpful. I'd love to see any air assault projects using either the PDO pepakura model or the STL 3D print model. I wonder if HaloGoddess still checks the forums.

Keep it tight Nobles.

Last edited:
Satchmo III

Definitely enjoyed your last post! Always a pleasure to see your progress! Since we are on the subject of modeling, do you think you can help with a file that I've been working on? I'll put the link for you, its a post directed towards Crimmson. But it kinda explains the issue that I've encountered with the model. If accepted, I'll upload the file to MediaFire, for you to download.

ADD UPDATE (PEPAKURA, PLUS MODELING TIPS)...

The Halo 5 Interceptor helmet for pepakura has been added to the beginning of the thread (and below).

Halo 5 helmet interceptor asset mod (Satchmo III) 2018-06-10.pdo
Interceptor pep window.png

I wanted to share some info on the choices I make when converting game asset models for pepakura use (most of the same principals apply to when modeling from photo references). This is not a modeling tutorial exactly and doesn't delve greatly into specific modeling software/tools, but it may be helpful for those interested in learning about or improving their skills for preparing game asset (or original) meshes for pepakura.

It should go without saying but there is no correct path and what I describe below is just what works for me and what I believe makes effective models for the pepakura process. There is no easy button whether you work with game assets or from image references...time and consideration are your friends for producing good output. You can find a wealth of modeling tutorials on YouTube or other forums for your chosen modeling software (especially Blender).

I describe my choices below and point them out on the following image reference which includes photos of the game asset at the left and photos of my revised model at the right. General notes don't have an accompanying call-out on the reference image.

If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to share.

1) Start by deleting half of the model and use a mirroring function (mirror modifier in Blender) along the center-line.
A) [GEN NOTE] This reduces the workload (actions made on one side automatically mirror on the other) and ensures symmetry.
B) May have to split faces if edges don't exist along center-line.
C) [GEN NOTE] A symmetrical model with center-line at zero on the X axis allows the mirror-point function to be used in Pepakura Designer (open edges specified on one side are automatically mirrored on the other side).

2) Convert most triangles to quadrilaterals, but use tris where needed/desired.
A) [GEN NOTE] This provides a cleaner view of model (better to see the overall form).
B) [GEN NOTE] This simplifies the unfold process in Pepakura Designer by limiting cut options.
C) Tris can be used effectively where needing to reduce reduce geometry along surfaces.
D) [GEN NOTE] Software can automatically convert tris into quads, but this doesn't always pick the best tris to convert to quads, so manual clean up is necessary.

3) Remove or modify details not desirable or not suitable for pepakura.
A) Often the smallest details are separate meshes not connected to the main mesh and can just be deleted.
B) Some details are part of the main mesh and geometry must be modified to simplify or remove.
C) Faces that are very skinny can be exaggerated or widened (this makes paper assembly less tedious and provides greater surface area for gluing paper tabs).
D) Some parts may not be connected to the main mesh but may want to be retained.
> Such as the visor, which is typically separate in game assets, or sometimes other parts like called out below.
> To retain, the number of edges/verts must be made to match the geometry of the main mesh so they can be mated.

4) Modify edge-flow to better approximate curved surfaces.
A) In this example, the edge-flow of the simplified model better follows the curve of the forehead surface.
B) In this example, spreading out the edges helps to better define the flatter surface (and larger faces will help to ensure paper is easier to put together).
C) [GEN NOTE] Geometry can be added/removed to improve edge-flow. Edges should generally be spaced apart a consistent amount.

5) Modify the helmet opening.
A) Make an opening (if needed) and create a ring of faces of consistent width around the opening.
B) Extend another ring up into the helmet to create "depth," this also adds physical structure to the opening.
C) Widen the opening as much as affordable to accommodate insertion of a head. The opening on game models are often smaller than necessary for actual heads since computer characters aren't concerned about squeezing their noggins into the helmets.

Topo-comparison-for-post2.PNG

Thanks for reading. Take care four-oh-five.

Satchmo III I am glad to see you back active on the forum and knocking stuff out. As always your stuff is great as is your commitment to contributions on the forum. I can't begin to tell you how many of your files i have used and referenced over the years!

If you have not already it would be great if you could post these files in the armory discussion threads for each set so we can update the downloads in the future as well.

SPEIGHTY this is some really good stuff to answer your specific unfolding questions!

oh and Art Andrews! Look!

ADD UPDATE (SOMETHING A BIT DIFFERENT)...

I came to find the 405th back in 2011. After learning how to use Pepakura Designer and assembling a bunch of paper, I wanted to understand more how these model assets were created. I spent time in Pepakura Designer learning how to unfold and I came upon the free and awesome Blender modeling software with the intent of making and sharing models with the community.

Over the years my time and interest has waxed and waned in this pursuit. I've always enjoyed 3D modeling (even at the beginning when it was a major struggle) and I've actively tried to make simple and straight-forward models to ease the paper assembly process.

My modeling process was largely just to put a bunch of triangles and squares together in a (hopefully) recognizable shape. I think I've done respectably via this process but at the beginning of this year I started to make a concentrated effort to improve and better understand modelling principles, primarily the ideas of edge flow and effective topology, and trying to think through the process more so than just making shapes. I'm still very much an amateur, but I've made some good strides since January.

That said, below are some images and notes for the first high detail helmet model I've put together. I share a 3D-printable STL file below (and at the beginning of the thread).

Earlier this week I worked with the Halo 5 intruder helmet game asset with pepakura in mind. Since it's an asset for a video game, the makers obviously have given no thought to the paper-crafting process. There are instances where polygon faces are way too thin/numerous and certain pieces aren't really connected up (things that don't matter in-game). In order to make the game asset pepakura-friendly, these things needed to be resolved. So I set about simplifying and cleaning up the topology (then made an unfold for Pepakura Designer).

After having done this I was left with a pretty clean model. Now, although the game asset can have overly-complicated structures, certain details are commonly not part of the actual 3D model mesh but are just simulated with normal and diffuse flat images that are laid over the model (which look great in-game). Adding actual mesh info is a lengthy process (for me) but fortunately starting with the clean model I made was very helpful. A simple model makes it easier to add edge loops/cuts from which detail can be added/extruded.

All that said, this is what I cam up with for the intruder (AKA air assault) helmet. Depending on your web-browser, OneDrive (where the link below navigates to) displays an interactive preview of the STL file I'm sharing. For reference, below is a rendered GIF.

Halo 5 helmet intruder 3D print (Satchmo III) 2018-05-26.stl

View attachment 255700

The model is made up of six or eight individual parts (though, those parts get merged together in the STL file). One of the realizations I made this year was to break things into individual parts instead of trying to model entirely of one mesh (which get crazy complicated quickly if you're doing very detailed work). This doesn't work for pepakura, but is fine for things like animation (which I've become interested in) or 3D printing. Below is a few still images from Blender including one that shows the mesh.

View attachment 255701

I have a Lulzbot TAZ5 printer and I wanted to see if the model could be printed. I printed it small but it looks great. Below are some print stats, a time-lapse video of the printer process, and some still images of the completed print.

> Printed dimensions are 50mm (W) x 64mm (D) x 46mm (H).
> Printed with HIPS at 0.22mm layer height.
> Walls are only 0.35mm wide (very thin).
> Time elapsed is 2H 55M.

View attachment 255702

View attachment 255703

View attachment 255704

View attachment 255705

If you've read this far, I thank you for your interest. Let me know if you have any questions or found any of the info-dump above helpful. I'd love to see any air assault projects using either the PDO pepakura model or the STL 3D print model. I wonder if HaloGoddess still checks the forums.

Keep it tight Nobles.

I have not seen HaloGoddess in a very long time. Great Work!!!

HOUSEKEEPING UPDATE...

Arsenal images at the beginning of the thread have been updated with more colors and a setting (images copied below). I tinkered with simulating detail on the individual models via smooth-shading and surface-subdivision but axed the detail and kept the hard edges...I've worked hard on all those polygons and I didn't want to obscure them too much.

untitled25.png

untitled26.png

Satchmo III I am glad to see you back active on the forum and knocking stuff out. As always your stuff is great as is your commitment to contributions on the forum. I can't begin to tell you how many of your files i have used and referenced over the years!

Thanks for the response Asgard! Happy to hear I've helped. I'll look into the armory business.

If you have not already it would be great if you could post these files in the armory discussion threads for each set so we can update the downloads in the future as well.

SPEIGHTY this is some really good stuff to answer your specific unfolding questions!

oh and Art Andrews! Look!
Thank you Asgardianhammer hope to post some more files soon in the armory discussion, I've had to slow down ATM as I'm back looking after my intellectual Disabled Son.

WIP UPDATE...

I've been working on a full set of SPI armor on and off for a week or two. I'm not done but I wanted to share some renders of the WIP before I take a break for a bit. Like the helmet I posted a while back the armor set is primarily based on art by Tekka-Croe at deviantart (Semi-Powered Infiltrator). Intent is for pepakura development but once I'm done I may detail it out more. III out.

suit-wip-01-01.png

suit-wip-01-00.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back