Mortal Kombat 9 Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got a hold of a camera. Still didn't get the other one back so I borrowed the neighbors.

Also, I was trying to figure out how to make the "spikes" on the belt and this is the meathod I came up with(i'm sure it's been done before but it's new to me..lol).

First I did a rough sculpt in sculpey and baked it. The created a negative with some more and baked it too. After that I was left with a press mold.
th_GEDC0635.jpg
th_GEDC0636.jpg
th_GEDC0637.jpg
All I did was hit the foam with a heatgun to make it pliable and then smashed it between the mold pieces and after about 10 seconds I had some nice spikes to glue onto the belt!

Here's a few pics I took today. The belt is pretty close to finished in construction, Just the buckle to go then I can start painting it!
th_GEDC0623.jpg
th_GEDC0622.jpg
th_GEDC0621.jpg

And here's a reference pic of the belt design:
th_scorpionbelt.jpg

I know the belt design is far from perfect but it's the best thing I could think of doing and still keeping it able to flex around the body.

Thanks for looking :)

Well, Small update for now. I finally got the belt assembly finished and it was ready for paint so brushed on some white base to prime it for the metallics. Then Got the silver painted on the buckle and spikes. Now I just need to pick up some gold to finish it.

th_IMG_0012.jpg
th_IMG_0015.jpg

Reference pic of the buckle:
th_scorpionbuckle.jpg

Mine's a little more oval that I would like but didn't notice until it was too late so I'm just going with it...

Thanks for looking

Great job! Everything's looking great. Do you have a link to the Download for that smoke mask (the one that looks like Sub-Zero's, not the default one)? Thanks :)

-Ryan

looks great, question: how do you attach the buckle to the other extremity of the belt? plastic snaps? or velcro?

looks great, question: how do you attach the buckle to the other extremity of the belt? plastic snaps? or velcro?

Thanks Toja :) I'm using a combination of plastic snaps and velcro. The snaps are sewed to a piece of nylon strip which are hidden behind the fake buckle. Then I use the velcro for the fake buckle to keep it attached to the belt so It looks like that's all that is holding it together.
th_IMG_0018.jpg

Excellent, so we keep the buckle to strain very good

Excelente, de esta manera evitamos que la hebilla haga fuerza muy bien.
(el traductor no esta amigable hoy XDD)

Amazing work so far! I'm very impressed with your creative way to create some of these pieces. Totally gonna mentally steal some of your ideas. Hope you don't mind ;)
(I'll give you credit if I use anything)

Amazing work so far! I'm very impressed with your creative way to create some of these pieces. Totally gonna mentally steal some of your ideas. Hope you don't mind ;)
(I'll give you credit if I use anything)

Thanks doc:) Didn't think I had any ideas worth stealing! I'm flattered :D

Update: I was finally able to get a hold of some much needed gold paint and a rivet gun so I was able to finish both the belt and gauntlets/bracers over the past 24 hours. I've started on the shin plates now..getting close to the finish line for the scorpion costume!

th_GEDC0935.jpg
th_GEDC0934.jpg
th_GEDC0933.jpg
th_GEDC0932.jpg
th_GEDC0931.jpg
th_GEDC0930.jpg

I know the bracers don't have much detail on them but they were my first foam building experience. I won't be changing them so that I can stay on schedule but for the record..I know they could have turned out a lot better..

The goat skulls on the bracers are a little lower quality than the rest of your work. I understand you're trying to rush through things to stay on schedule, but the rest of the suit looks so good...

The goat skulls on the bracers are a little lower quality than the rest of your work. I understand you're trying to rush through things to stay on schedule, but the rest of the suit looks so good...

Thanks Rabbit, The more I look at them the more I realize I can't just leave them at that. I don't know what else to do just yet but I thought about sculpting some to replace those or atleast add to the top of them to give a 3d feel as opposed to the 2d feel they have right now. You're comment helped me decide I shouldn't leave them as is though so thank you :D

Update: I got to work on the shin guards today. Would have had both finished but I ran out of gold paint yet again so I need to pick some more up sometime this week if I'm lucky and then finish the other shin piece. After that I just need to mod a pair of shoes to match and sew the shirt and pants!

Spikes are a little thinner than they should be but I'm still very happy with them.

Reference:
th_scorpionshinpiecefront.jpg
th_scorpionshinside.jpg

Build:
th_GEDC0973.jpg
th_GEDC0972.jpg
th_GEDC0971.jpg

awesome job so far bro i really like how this is turning out keep it up

Thanks :D There's a few things that I'll be tweaking here and there but for a first shot at the whole costuming thing and working with foam I'm pretty happy so far.

Update: Got the bracers and shins finished today! :D I remodeled the skulls on the bracers with some scratch foam building to make them a bit more "3d".

th_GEDC0984.jpg
th_GEDC0983.jpg
th_GEDC0980.jpg

Edit: Added better pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back