Mortal Kombat 9 Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks pretty good, exept that, sorry to say, it looks like the side pieces are going to far out. And I know your not a pro but there is, and very hard to see details on the sides. Just don't let her see this message! What she doesnt know wont hurt her...or you! LOL. Overall its pretty good though, nice work.

LMAO! Thanks for the input :)

Small update. Finally had some time to pep the mask for my wife. Gonna have her try it out and see if it needs adjusting but until then, Here's the finished pep.

th_random400.jpg
th_random399.jpg

Nice detail in the modeling, and the pep work came out clean! Hopefully it doesn't need to be adjusted much.

Thanks rabbit :)

Well, I had her try it yesterday and everything seems alright, a bit big for her build of face but doable. The only thing I'm going to have to do is shorten the side plates because they want to run up past her ears. I'm going to resin/fiber glass it then shorten the sides a bit and it should be ok. The front is where the detail is anyways..lol.

Small update but an important one!

I finally got to pick up some more supplies for the project. I forgot a thing or two because of bad memory but I did get enough stuff to finally start working again.
th_random404.jpg
The thing I'm most happy about was I found the eva foam mats 6 for 16 and that's the regular price so now I have somewhere within traveling distance(30 minute drive is to the closest stores like lowes/walmart and stuff) to get it should I need more!

I even scored a free sewing machine from the neighbor. Had a small problem with the tension mechanics but I think I've fixed that.
th_random403.jpg

Time to start working on this again and try to learn how to use the sewing machine! Biggest thing I'm going to have to learn is how to tie the stitch without pulling it apart...No clue how to do that.

Anyways...YAY FOR ME!:D

Excellent you have a Singer machine is epic, I also want one.

Yup :) so happy I got it. I can't believe you don't have one, How do you do the amazing work on your stuff as far as the clothing goes?

Small update, Got the gold tunic(i think that what it's called?) pattern done and cut the general shape out in the fabric. Tomorrow I start sewing..Man am I nervous, I don't want to screw this up...Did I mention it's a gold satin fabric..Very sensitive but it's the only thing they had at wal-mart in the right color.

No pics tonight, I'll get some up tomorrow after I make a little progress. Time to relax and off to bed for the night.

Oh yeah I used to play with small pedal, today my mother helps me with that part, but not always LOL
SINGERMEME.jpg

Oh si de pequeño solia jugar con el pedal, hoy en dia mi madre me ayuda con esa parte, no siempre pero LOL

I would LOVE to have one of those machines! I know where a few are but I just can't fork out the cash for one..and no way to get one home! lol.

I love the picture by the way, I used to do the same thing on my grandmothers! Very funny! :D

Update time. I got the tunic/satchel for scorpion made today. Not sure what to think of it honestly. I kinda hate it but I'm trying to be optimistic since this is my first job on a sewing machine...Was a PITA to learn to sew on satin, I will say that much.

Just had my wife take these pics before she heads off to work so I don't look too thrilled because I've made alot of mistakes and corrections all day, so I'm very tired.. This should have been a roughly 2 hour sewing project counting all the pinning I did but turned into an all day task..lol.

I still have to finish the black trim around the edges and figure out some kind of backing to sew onto it to make it a little "flatter". (If anyone has some tips as to what I should use I would greatly appreciate it..The thing is just too light and wavy.)

Well, here it is...Be gentle...
th_random407.jpg
th_random406.jpg
th_random405.jpg

th_scorpiontunicback.jpg
th_scorpiontunicfront.jpg

Wow, didn't think it sucked THAT bad..lol.

Update: I made my own pattern today for a balaclava and this is what I came out with. Took 2 tries to make because on the first I didn't realize I would need extra width in the back. So to fix this I retraced the pattern and had the backs of the pattern facing eachother. Then the triangle shape that was made from the mirrored difference was cut out and sewed in the back.
th_random410.jpg
th_random411.jpg

I also got a main piece cut out of the eva foam for the tunic/satchel. It's not permanently stuck to it yet as I still need to do the border but I stuck it to it with pins to see the fit.
th_random408.jpg
th_random409.jpg

Esto esta muy bien para su primera vez, si usted me permite, creo que se veria mucho mejor, mas angosto en la punta y un poco mas corta

This is very good for the first time, if you allow me, I think it would look much better, more narrow at the tip and a little short (I hope that makes sense)
maybe the belt up a little tip
Image1-1.jpg

Esto esta muy bien para su primera vez, si usted me permite, creo que se veria mucho mejor, mas angosto en la punta y un poco mas corta

This is very good for the first time, if you allow me, I think it would look much better, more narrow at the tip and a little short (I hope that makes sense)
maybe the belt up a little tip
Image1-1.jpg

I completely agree Toja:) I'm going to have to do some altering to get it more narrow. I think I might take a try at that tomorrow while I've got a little time. Thank you for pointing that out, I've been soo wrapped up in the learning that I didn't even see the difference in the reference picture..lol!

As for the length, I'm going to be tucking it under the belt to "shorten" it. ;)

Thank you very much for the input, It helps a lot!:D

Another update. I wasn't having luck with the balaclava as far as straight/even seams on either side so I revised it a few times. After the 4th attempt at sewing it up I finally came up with a good pattern that reflected 99% of what I wanted. It's been a grueling task sewing 4 of them and changing the pattern slightly but I finally am happy with it.

Here's the pics. Remember, I've just started learning how to use the machine and this pattern was one that I made on my own so I have no experience there either. I'm very proud of it as of now and will simply add some more around the neck so that it will be tucked under the vest/sleeveless shirt.

My Pattern(diamond shape for the back of the head/neck and rectangle for the chin area):
th_random412.jpg

Completed:
th_random414.jpg
th_random413.jpg
th_random416.jpg
th_random415.jpg

Fits comfortably and snug. I think it looks weird on me though, Mainly because I've got a long gotee and this helps hide it for the costume without me having to cut it or anything, not used to seeing myself without one..lol.

Oh, and I'm not leaning in the pictures to look "cool" or pose..I had my daughter take the pics so I had to get down to her level..lol.

It looks great, keep up the good work! my friend
Thank you Toja :) Congrats on your recent costume win, Can't believe you won a PS3!

Got an update today. I started work on the foam bracers, got a template ready for the belt and added some mesh to the scorpion mask. I would have had the belt started but I ran out of spray adhesive so I'll have to get some asap :(

Here are the pics from today's progress:

One cut, one to go!
th_random421.jpg

Mask Mesh backed with the same fabric the balaclava, pants and vest will be made from.(90% done!) :
th_random418.jpg
th_random417.jpg

Pieces together:
th_random419.jpg

Belt template I made up:
th_random420.jpg

That's how it all sits as of today's work. :)

Bit of an update for today. I did some work on scorpions belt and actually have it about 80% finished but Can't show progress pics unfortunately.. My friend had to borrow the camera for the day to go to a linkin park concert so I only got 2 pictures before he came to get the camera this morning.

I copied the pattern I created onto the foam and cut it out. Then, to give it a rough texture and leather/rino lining look I used the heat gun to burn the surface of the foam. Once done it looks GREAT and I could see this helping on other builds too! It save from having to paint it black and it gives a nice texture.

Here are the two pics I've got. One of the pics shows all the main pieces of the belt lined up before assembly and the other pic shows a little closer detail that the burning causes. Hopefully I can get the camera back soon so I can take some up to date pics...
th_random424.jpg
th_random425.jpg

Been following for a while. Really excellent work particularly on the detailing on the mask and love the use of the mesh. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Been following for a while. Really excellent work particularly on the detailing on the mask and love the use of the mesh. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Thank you :) The mesh I used was some fabric netting and then backed with the same fabric the rest of the suit will be made from. It's breathable and not transparent so it works perfectly! I'm just glad I bought the net material 5 years ago or I never would have tried it..lmao!

I'm having fun on this and can't wait to get them all done. Right now I'm focusing on scorpion october. I can pull it off but there are a lot of things I'm doing in this build for the first time ever. I've got no experience with foam building, sewing, templates and other things but I have to admit..As long as I'm successful I'm having a good time..lol.

I've got some more work on the belt today. Progress is moving right along, I just can't wait to have the camera back to take some more pics! Tomorrow I hope to finish the belt (minus paint) and start working on the buckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back