1st Build My First Armor Build

Mobius1ac

Member
PlanetAlexander; if you dont mind me asking, what size did you make your helmet? I measured my head just like Ive read in various scaling tutorials, but the helm Im making is looking really small. I shrank it from the original "Spartan Sized" version by 2cm and when I fit what I have to my chin, my eyes are almost at the top of the visor and the overlays Ive made this morning put my head a few cm over the top of the helm. Question is open to anyone, dont want to waste my materials, but also dont want to waste time making a helm thats way too small
 
PlanetAlexander; if you dont mind me asking, what size did you make your helmet? I measured my head just like Ive read in various scaling tutorials, but the helm Im making is looking really small. I shrank it from the original "Spartan Sized" version by 2cm and when I fit what I have to my chin, my eyes are almost at the top of the visor and the overlays Ive made this morning put my head a few cm over the top of the helm. Question is open to anyone, dont want to waste my materials, but also dont want to waste time making a helm thats way too small
I actually used Armorsmith to adjust it to my head. Using the pepakure templates here and modifying them a little bit in Armorsmith, I transferred it to foam and added details. The overall dimensions of the helmet is 24.4cm wide, 36.4cm deep and 28cm high.

I know it sucks to waste materials, but my advice would be that if it doesn't work, start again. Sure, you'll be unhappy now, but you'll feel a lot worse if you keep going and finish a piece that simply doesn't work. I think I can speak for a lot of cosplayers on that.
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So now that I have been shown the way of ArmorSmith, I am quickly learning how to use the software to its full potential. I also now have a way to show progress with the armor.
Screenshot.jpeg

Helmet in Progress.

I have reprinted the helmet to a larger scale that seems to be able to accommodate my head and the cowl I plan to wear under it
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So to go alongside the helmet, I've started the hardening process for the Boots. The first step is to seal the paper. This adds some initial structure and prevents the "skeleton" of the part from getting soggy and deforming.
IMG_20200418_184349.jpg
 

Mobius1ac

Member
So good news... My undersuit came in today
IMG_20200421_164928.jpg

The bad news is that I underestimated the insulating power of 3mil neoprene. This thing is ungodly warm even in my 75 degree living room. Though, with some strategic alterations and some cooling plates, it should be tolerable indoors and in winter. Maybe someday I can make a summer suit out of thinner material
 

Mobius1ac

Member
Progress on the helmet the last couple of days.
IMG_20200421_194541.jpg
IMG_20200421_194531.jpg
IMG_20200421_194519.jpg

The right hand light mount is also done, but is far less photogenic. On the left I glued the border first to get nice crisp edges. The right will be reparable during finishing, but the 90degree angles are more like 50 right now.
The lights are covered because when I finish the helmet, I plan to install actual lights that I can turn on and off from a button on the helmet, so no need to fiddle with the inserts for them.
 

Mobius1ac

Member
IMG_20200427_193452.jpg

Getting ready to apply the gel layer on the first boot. This layer is just plain resin applied to the outside of the part to add strength and a smooth outer layer to work with, as well as to seal the joints to prevent the Rondo from leaking out and ruining the corners.
 
Top