My H3 WIP Helmet (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetOkole

I have been lurking around the site since Nov 1. I have read all of the stickies, and started on working on my PEP helmet. Just finished cutting and glueing, layering the thin coat of resin and also glassing the inside! Just finished adding the primer just so I can get a look on how it will eventually look. I noticed as well that I might have to adjust the nosepiece when I add the visor but I will get to that later

gallery_4731_242_79970.jpg

gallery_4731_242_45780.jpg

I really liked the small Tutorial that Spase did working on his PEP helmet and figured I try to go that route. Now I really don't have no skills in any body work so this is my first time so any critisism is appreciated.

I will post more of my WIP later.

MLC said:
It looks very nice - congrats sir!

Mardon (MLC)
mlcallanta@gmail.com

Thanks...been looking at the work you did on your helmet and wanted to try that route, but I might do that on the CQB helmet since I started to glaze my MC helmet. The only thing with this is that I have only 2 hours a day to do this, but its kinda fun and a good way to relax.

Last edited by a moderator:
WetOkole said:
Thanks...been looking at the work you did on your helmet and wanted to try that route, but I might do that on the CQB helmet since I started to glaze my MC helmet. The only thing with this is that I have only 2 hours a day to do this, but its kinda fun and a good way to relax.

o yeah thats lookin sexy.. No but seriously a little bit of sanding and a little more work and that thing will look beautiful.

Yay! A noob that doesn't need their hand held, or to be spoonfed all the answers!

Welcome to the site. Your helm is looking good so far! Keep us updated.

you use DF4L pep files right? if you did (i think) could you tell me what scale size you used please? i open it up and right now it is set at 12.7135 (H: 26.4cm W: 34cm D: 23.1cm) what scale did you use or did you not change it at all? i want to start making his pep helm next (which you did a very nice job) and don't want to print it out and spend all the time cutting and glue only to find out it is to small.
thanks

ps...looks very nice!!! can't wait for more pics
pss...i'm new to this to...it ok...i just got done fiberglassing and ready for bondo

ah you finally made a thread..?
it looks great, I'm glad that my first smooth helmet model wasn't a total flop. i just wasn't happy with a few small details on it, and sorry to say the second file is a ton easier to build..

its my 4th or 5th time re-working these files (halo2 and 3), and my 4th helmet i have made. one of which i fiberglassed, now I'm almost done building V2 of the released smooth helmet.

(im so glad that the first helmet can come out so nicely, it looks almost finished, and honestly, better than several finished helmets Ive seen :p)

UPDATE! 12/03/07

Ok...I had about a couple of hours so here is where I am at now

DSCF2245.JPG

I only had time to take 1 pic and this was the best shot...I just finished doing the mouth section

DSCF2257.JPG

here is the dome section all smoothed out

DSCF2258.JPG

a closer shot, also I decided not to GLAZE the middle section just because I don't want to be sanding in those small areas

DSCF2253.JPG

it started to rain a bit so I decided to stop and dremel out the small sections that the wire looms will be installed.

To answer some questions!

Werd Nal said:
how have you been lurking since nov 1 if you joined the site on oct 30???lol.
It is weird but during Oct, I was actually working on my Stormtrooper armor. After Halloween, I decided I wanted to start work on my next costume and remembered that I signed up on the site. I started to actually read the topics and found out that you folks make your own armor, yes I had the bug to try my own since it was made out of paper and this is what I have so far!

JediStumpy said:
you use DF4L pep files right? if you did (i think) could you tell me what scale size you used please? i open it up and right now it is set at 12.7135 (H: 26.4cm W: 34cm D: 23.1cm) what scale did you use or did you not change it at all? i want to start making his pep helm next (which you did a very nice job) and don't want to print it out and spend all the time cutting and glue only to find out it is to small.
thanks

ps...looks very nice!!! can't wait for more pics
pss...i'm new to this to...it ok...i just got done fiberglassing and ready for bondo
Yes I am using DF4L's file and I actually have it set to 24.9cm. I am only 5'4 so I added 3 inches to my overall number. If you read the Scaling thread, that is where I got my scale from, then I inputed the "CM" number into DF4L's model (since he is using the H3 models, the sizing was diff but alot of peeps who are using the H3 models have done the same thing) Just go with your height...it should work cause it worked for me, if not tell me your height and I will get the number for you!

dannifood4less said:
ah you finally made a thread..?
it looks great, I'm glad that my first smooth helmet model wasn't a total flop. i just wasn't happy with a few small details on it, and sorry to say the second file is a ton easier to build... (im so glad that the first helmet can come out so nicely, it looks almost finished, and honestly, better than several finished helmets Ive seen
Yeah I know, saw your post you left and thanks. I actually liked your helmet since it was easier to cut and fold for a n00b like me. Yes it is missing a few details but its alright, you just saved me a ton of time from smoothing it out. My H2 version actually sits in the trash since I had a hard time smoothing that one out.

Nicktendo said:
Yay! A noob that doesn't need their hand held, or to be spoonfed all the answers!

Welcome to the site. Your helm is looking good so far! Keep us updated.

I was just getting ready to say it also. Isnt it amazing what can happen if you just read and do your homework first.

Werd Nal said:
how have you been lurking since nov 1 if you joined the site on oct 30???lol.

oct 30 is the day befor nov 1

ahhh some people are just wierd....

Durlaburban said:
oct 30 is the day befor nov 1

ahhh some people are just wierd....

I cant resit but its 2 days before. :p Any way great job on your helmet. Lokks liike you know how to start a prpper thread with pics and everything. Well done.

UPDATE: 12/09/07

Ok, it has been raining the whole week in Hawaii and the rain didn't even let up so I was stuck working on my TK outfit for a Christmas parade we had on Saturday night, good outcome and everyone was going nuts over the SW guys here in Hawaii. My outpost is called Pac501, my ID is TK 8209. (I am with the 501st by the way) Ok, enough of that...

Well it was sunny today (Sunday) and I started to do a bit more on my Helmet here is the update:

DSCF2268.JPG

DSCF2270.JPG

DSCF2271.JPG

DSCF2272.JPG

Finished adding the GLAZE then I sprayed on the primer to see where I am at. Still gots some spots to fill in but almost there. Hopefully I can get to the nose piece and a add a new one...hmmm maybe I might use the one from FS model??

supertaco said:
:eek: you did a really god job on that

how many layers of resin an fiberglass did you use?
I used a (1)light resin outside...a (1)light resin inside, glued the glass in (so only 1 layer of glass), then I slobbered the inside with resin...after about 24 hours, I added another slobber of resin inside and added 1 more coat on the outside. (not thick but just enough so when I sand, I don't cut into the paper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back