Need some advice with helmet stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixMercenary

I have a Halo 4/5 scout helmet made in pep that sits pretty loosely on my head.

I can put soft foam on the top of the inside to keep my head at the right height and at the back as to prevent the helmet from sliding forward when I look down.

The problem I’ve encountered previously is keeping the helmet in place when I look up. The interior of the helmet is spacious enough that when I tilt my head back, the whole helmet shifts backwards, effectively pushing the visor right against my cheek bones.
I’d very much rather have the helmet sit still on my head as I look around at all angles so it feels more like a helmet and not a cardboard box on my head.

I was thinking of a chinstrap, with adjustable tightness, to help keep the vertical secure when wearing. As for fixing the shifting issue when looking up, I don’t have any idea.

Any and all ideas/brainstorms would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You could try padding the cheekbones, chin and forehead. hopefully you have fans inside. Have you looked at how the 501st pads their helmets?

You could try padding the cheekbones, chin and forehead. hopefully you have fans inside. Have you looked at how the 501st pads their helmets?
I have not. I’d have to put a good bit of foam in order to pad the cheekbone areas. Maybe I could pad the areas around my actual cheeks?

Here’s an image of how much space is in my helmet around my face.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 317
I've used acoustic foam, military helmet pads, and the inner parts of a hard hat to help helmets stay secure for other cosplays I've done. Each has their own cost, level of comfort, and ease of use for each project. If you plan to wear your helmet to long events, I recommend the military helmet pads which you can detach and wash when they get sweaty, or the hard hat suspension. If your helmet is for display for short wear periods, I'd go with the acoustic foam.

I've used acoustic foam, military helmet pads, and the inner parts of a hard hat to help helmets stay secure for other cosplays I've done. Each has their own cost, level of comfort, and ease of use for each project. If you plan to wear your helmet to long events, I recommend the military helmet pads which you can detach and wash when they get sweaty, or the hard hat suspension. If your helmet is for display for short wear periods, I'd go with the acoustic foam.
Good to know. I didn’t think about the foam getting sweaty during long events. I’ll take a look around and see where I can get military helmet pads from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back